Thursday, June 29, 2017

Summer "School"

A spot of al fresco dining
via Ryan Vaarsi on Flickr

Summer is a good time for things. I am not bored because I am busy. I listen to podcasts and read books and go outside and watch movies and fold laundry and work and all those things.

Do I miss being in school? Yes, yes I do.

Not all the time. I don’t miss homework. But I do miss getting to learn and discuss new and interesting things every day. Which is not to say that I am not learning, but there’s something good about being at school that I do not have friend now. So, this is what I have done instead of be at school:

watched some of A Series of Unfortunate Events on Netflix :: I don’t want to watch past my reading, but I am very impressed by this series. It’s like an English major’s fairy tale come to life. Lemony Snicket is my hero.

reread How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas C. Foster :: this book was crucial in my understanding how to think about books. I also annotated this book, so it turns out that this is also the book that resulted in me learning the word “phallic.”

read Star Trek: Doctor’s Orders by Diane Duane :: admittedly, this is mostly me soaking up the Star Trek universe. To be fair, I watched Star Trek instead of doing homework all the time last semester! Also, this book deals with linguistics, and my best friend is going to study those! So I bugged her about what she knows.

watched (and waited for) The Librarians :: this is another show that should shine in the hearts of booklovers everywhere. Who does not love seeing Prospero, Frankenstein, and Dorian Grey reapplied to a modern setting? And the third season is not at my library yet.

read The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison :: and Sula, and Playing in the Dark. I was in a Morrison class last semester, so this, in some ways, felt like a continuation of my studies. On the other hand, it was largely a pleasure read, but that’s okay! I can always go back (and believe me, I will).

watched The Crucible :: I don’t know if y’all had to read Arthur Miller’s play in high school, but I sure did. I definitely didn’t appreciate it at the time, but seeing it now makes me understand why so many teachers gushed about that book.

read Romantic Outlaws by Charlotte Gordon :: this might be the best book I’ve read this year. I highly recommend it if you’re interested in the origins of the feminist movement or Frankenstein, but also if you like good stories and incredibly human people. Mary Wollstonecraft and Mary Shelley were fascinating, folks.

What are you doing to keep yourself busy this summer?


12 comments :

  1. I might have to read The Crucible! It's not required at my school, but it seems like one of those books you should read eventually. I've been binging House of Cards and working on a political campaign!

    Ellie | On the Other Side of Reality

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *nods* Arthur Miller is a really interesting writer, and the film adaptation is pretty good. :) And that sounds like an exciting way to spend your summer!

      Delete
  2. I love seeing literature come to life on the tv screen. By total coincidence I decided to read The Handmaid's Tale this holidays and I found out they made a tv series out of it! Soo that's the rest of my break. :') We studied The Crucible too in school and saw the movie (Winona Ryder was a top-notch Abigail), and I can see what you mean by teachers loving Miller (considering we also did his Death of a Salesman the following year...).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so very much want to watch The Handmaid's Tale series, but I do not have the Hulu and so I cannot watch the show. It is a disappointment to me, but I'm glad you're going to enjoy it. :) And nice! I did love Winona Ryder. XD It was actually interesting that if the subject matter weren't so terrible, I'd probably be laughing. (I did not ever read Death of a Salesman, but I totally have a copy of it in my literature textbook from high school, so I know what you mean.)

      Delete
  3. It sounds like you're having a lovely break! (Except maybe the folding laundry, hehe. But then again, sometimes that's not so bad...)

    I've heard good things about the Unfortunate Events show! I started reading the series years ago but never finished it. I probably should one of these days. :)

    Ooh, I've not read The Crucible yet, but I did like the movie. Very interesting!

    And The Librarians sounds really cool! How have I not heard of this one? *adds it to list*

    I hope your summer continues to be filled with fun happenings and great stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind! Yesterday I folded like seven baskets of laundry while watching The Taming of the Shrew. :) It was good times.

      I enjoyed the episodes I watched! Even if you don't read the books, I think it's still the kind of series you might enjoy. :D

      *nods* Well, plays are meant to be performed. :)

      It is great! You should totally check it out. :D I love that show.

      Thanks! I hope that you enjoy the rest of the season as well!

      Delete
  4. I was in the Crucible, and I enjoyed reading it many times :) I hear The Librarians is a good show, I might have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES WATCH THE LIBRARIANS EVERYONE WATCH IT OKAY? OKAY.

      :D Nice! I think the Crucible is definitely a great read, so I'm glad you like it, too.

      Delete
  5. I have read none of these books, and I've only really heard of A Series of Unfortunate Events and Toni Morrison (she wrote Beloved, right?). I would actually like to read one of her books some day, but not right now because I have all these library books to read.
    As for my summer vacation, I actually have 8 months between high school ending and university starting because different hemispheres don't have school years that line up. So far I've read and hung out with friends and gone hiking, but later I'm going to volunteer and also hopefully do some travelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toni Morrison did write Beloved! You should check her out from the library, then you'll HAVE to read her. :D

      That's so cool! It's nice that you have a little while to take a real break before diving into college business. Have fun volunteering and travelling!

      Delete
  6. Oh gosh, this is the third time I've somehow deleted my comment :(. But Romantic outlaws sounds great, I'm trying to learn how to make decent lemon meringue pie, writing a novel and trying to figure how to write this really complicated short play. I've read a couple of excellent non ficiton books and the captivating 100 years of solitude, and I might try A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius at some point. And you've reminded me again that I need to read Toni Morrison!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh weird! I'm sorry that's happening. Romantic Outlaws was indeed great, but pie sounds also better. I'd love to hear more about your short play if you decide to blog about it! Oh, gosh, I really have to to read 100 Years of Solitude, don't I? (About as much as you need to read Toni Morrison, I'm guessing.)

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!