Thursday, February 9, 2017

On Liking Stuff That Nobody Else Does

via
I watched Donnie Darko on Friday night and it was great.

This movie is enticingly dark and disturbing. There is a demonic rabbit, who is both soft and terrifying. It entertains obscure literary themes without being too pretentious. There is black humor. There is a very serious (if drunk) discussion of the Smurfs and their origin. And it ends with murder and time travel and tragedy, so, all in all, it was a good way to kick off the weekend.

And I kicked it off by myself because Donnie Darko is not the kind of movie my peeps would enjoy. “Peeps” being shorthand for family or close friends, even though it makes me sound twelve. (Also, we should qualify that this could change. My youngest sister is too young for R-rated films, but I bet she’ll enjoy Donnie’s story when she’s fifteen or so.)

The point is that my peeps are not the peeps who watch eerie psychological thrillers by themselves at night and laugh at the bizarreness of it all.

My peeps are also not the peeps who like Twilight. A few of my peeps disdain my fondness for Bob’s Burgers and Hamilton without cease. And I doubt my peeps would pick up The Female of the Species or Catch-22 just because. We have our differences, my peeps and I.

Those differences are actually very important to me, actually. I cling to them, because it is important to like stuff that nobody else does.

Of course, I do not mean “nobody” literally. Donnie Darko is on some people’s “movies to see before you die” list. Twilight was a huge bestseller and popular enough to get five movies. I am not alone in the world in liking those things.

(I might worry if I was alone in the world in liking something. I’d need a good old coming-of-age type story to get me into the correct bar or mall or wherever that would introduce me to the people like me. There is also Twitter for those of us who are, for the present time, grounded.) 
(Alternatively, I might worry about belonging to a community that identifies itself by its isolation from the things “the rest of the world” likes, and may thus assume it is more threatened and unliked than it actually is. But that is the narrative of their world, and I suppose it is mandatory among teenagers.)
It is good to like things that your friends don’t. It is good to like things that your family doesn’t. Also, if you like things the people you live with don’t, then they won’t try to watch TV with you when you want to be alone. That is my key life advice in this post: always keep at least one movie that you like and nobody else does so no one will watch it with you.

Liking your own stuff gives you a chance to enjoy something unique and fun just for yourself, that doesn’t come attached to any other relationships. And in some sense, tending to your own stuff is what keeps you together as an individual. And that is good, too.

What are some things you like that ‘nobody else’ does?

6 comments :

  1. This is so true! I like quite a few things that my family and peeps (a totally legitimate word which isn't something only 12 year olds say, actually) don't. For example, fluffy books. My family doesn't really get this (my mother is convinced that all YA is about people who are dying of cancer. Thanks, The Fault in Our Stars). I think learning to be okay with people not having to like what you like is a really good thing. As usual, your posts are up to standard :P :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Oh good, I'd hate to be the only adult among the tweens. XD)

      Wow, that is a rather large extrapolation to make based on a single book. I have not even read The Fault in Our Stars and I believe there are many books that do not resemble it in the least. Still, I'm glad that you find comfort in fluffy books where others do not. :)

      Delete
  2. This is true. It's nice to have things to yourself, things that are just for you to enjoy. There are some books I've read which definitely are just for me (sunshine, ketchup clouds, the magicians guild), and also some youtubers (Heart Full of Books). It feels good to enjoy and appreciate things that those around you don't--and it also feels good to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! And it's great that you do have those books you can turn to when you want. :) But, of course, it's also fun to share, too. I do admit that.

      Delete
  3. "And in some sense, tending to your own stuff is what keeps you together as an individual." Very true! There's something very special about liking something no one else seems to like. It's like its influence extends to just you, because no one else will read/watch/enjoy it (also, Bob's Burgers is a mint tv show).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like the way you said it! Liking your own stuff makes you unique. :) I think that is a great way to summarize this post. And yes, I can't help but agree. Bob's Burgers is my fav.

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!