Monday, September 5, 2016

I Messed Up Book Tag

Book
Flickr Credit: Liza
Shall we do a tag?

I was not tagged and am not tagging, but I stole the I Messed Up tag from Kourtni at Kourtni Reads. FYI.

a character’s appearance you misread or imagined differently | you know Daisy’s friend Jordan in The Great Gatsby? She plays tennis. Since the only tennis player I know is Serena Williams, I pictured Jordan as a black woman. Which is awkward since Daisy’s husband is a white supremacist.

a character name you’ve been pronouncing incorrectly | Franz Argentblum is among my favorite characters in the H.I.V.E. series, but I’ve said the G in his name like “gentleman” although it turns out it’s supposed to be “guh” like goat.

an overused trope that is your guilty pleasure | bad boys. Bad boys like Ignifex and the Darkling and Victor Vale and Artemis Fowl and all of the others because they are so lovely and so bad.

a cliché character type you enjoy viewing on screen, but not reading | I don’t think I ever enjoy clichés that I hate, but there are elements of rom-coms that I cannot stand in books but I could suffer through in a movie, maybe.

a word/phrase you learned because of its use in a book | Expecto patronum! Or, you know, whatever.

have you ever not read/completed a required book for school? | absolutely not. You disgust me, tag question—how dare you impugn my honor!

have you ever [wanted to] skip a chapter from the POV of a character you weren’t interested in? | actually, yes. I didn’t realize how Marissa Meyer would add POVs with each new book in The Lunar Chronicles so I wanted to skip over this lame Scarlet person and get back to Cinder because that’s who I was reading for. But I didn’t because I know who I am and I am not a POV-skipper.

have you ever cancelled social plans to read a book? | no, but I don’t make social plans lightly.


All in all, I don’t think I’ve messed up quite so badly. Maybe. Maybe?

Tell me two ways that you have messed up with books in the comments!


10 comments :

  1. OHhh this is an epic tag (can I steal it from you? hehe) And I could like write a 9ft long list of names I've mispronounced. Generally I don't even know I'm saying it wrong until I randomly watch an author interview and I'm like "Wait...who are you talking about?" or listen to an audiobook. Like the ENTIRE CAST OF SIX OF CROWS I was apparently pronouncing wrong. Except for Kaz. Go me and my marvellous skills. xD
    *whispers* I totally have skipped required reading. bahahh. I'm a horrible bookworm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely steal it from me! :D For me it is usually not author interviews but my own parents and/or best friend who are like, "Hello, you have been saying this thing wrong your entire life." Fortunately Kaz is the main character so his name is easy, I guess. XD

      Well, perhaps you just have different values. :) And that is okay!

      Delete
  2. Rom coms in general work better as movies, at least for me. I also went through a pretty long period where I pronounced Hermione from Harry Potter's name as "Her-MIN-oin" (?!). My personal guilty pleasure trope is probably the jerk with a heart of gold. I can't get enough of it, even though most of the jerks I've met in real life (sadly) don't have a heart of gold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it sounds like a lot of people had Hermione's name confused at first. By the time I started reading the series I'd heard her name enough to know how to read it, but it's interesting.

      Jerks with a heart of gold are so beautiful except for they don't exist. But we can wish they did!

      Delete
  3. I can't believe you like bad boys *cries*

    I'm surprised you imagined Jordan Baker as a black woman. Interesting...

    I randomly mention when asked who my favourite book character is and I usually write Nick Hidaka even though I keep changing the image of him in my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry not sorry. ;)

      Yeah. It was weird. I didn't even think about how the racial element would play in until much later.

      Hey, a good character is good regardless of what his face looks like.

      Delete
  4. I pronounced it with a soft g, too. Just makes sense to me, lol

    And ah, yes. I don't like all of them for sure, but some bad boys can definitely be a beautiful kind of bad.


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GERMAN STRIKES AGAIN.

      Yeah... *sighs happily* Beautiful.

      Delete
  5. i don't really know about messing up things in term of books in in the ways that you've mentioned, but once I borrowed a book from a friend and when i returned it, it as torn halfway through and with the cover tor up as well. i said sorry to her of course, but she doesn't really let me live that down!x


    fangirlingmaxima.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *winces* Yeah, that sounds like a really big way to mess up! Still, it sounds like even if she won't let you live it down, she's forgiven you a little. :)

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!