Friday, September 23, 2016

Habits and Styles for Reading and Writing

Clancy in Bed
Flickr Credit: Hegla Weber
Today’s question comes from Topaz Winters at Six Impossible Things:


I’ve already talked a little bit about how being in college has impacted being able to read for fun, which you can read here. The general gist is that college is time-consuming, but I work my way around it.

When it comes to reading for school, I have a few particular quirks that don’t apply to reading for fun. Namely, when I read a book for school I have to think about whether or not I’m going to want to keep it in the long run. For example, I have a decent sociology textbook, but I’ll try to sell it at the end of the semester because it will no longer be of use to me. I have been highlighting the book and writing down notes separately so someone else can use it later.

Sometimes I do find books I want to keep, though. A few of my favorites include Wit by Margaret Edson, A Room of One’s Own by Virginia Woolf, and As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner. These were all great books and I hope to read them again at some point, so I don’t inhibit myself with annotations and whatnot.

Writing is another matter entirely.

My writing style especially has seen a bigger shift. I used to spend a lot of time writing creative fiction. I haven’t given up on that, but I’ve mostly worked on those projects during the winter and summer breaks. In the meantime, I’ve spent more time on essay-type activities. Some of that is indeed homework, but some of that is also the blog posts you read here. Some of that is also me writing geeky responses to the TV shows I watch.

As to habits, I’ve definitely fallen behind. I make time for writing blog posts and my fun TV-related essays, but I haven’t made writing as much of a priority during the school year. It doesn’t bother me, though. I don’t really know what I want to do career-wise, so I don’t feel like I’m losing anything by not writing.

There is one difference about this semester—I’m taking a creative writing class in poetry. We read and study famous people’s poetry, of course, but it also involves writing our own poems. This means that even if I’m not writing the same way I used to, I still have a creative outlet that fits right into my school schedule and a group of people who can help me improve.

That’s sort of a brief overview of my styles and habits right now. I don’t think that’s what they’ll look like in the long run, but here we are for now.

How do you stay on top of writing and reading during the school year?


6 comments :

  1. Honestly, I basically take a break from reading/blogging/writing during school time. I used to hate doing it, but now I like that I focus on school work then on writing/reading, rather than trying to juggle everything and feeling guilty when I don't.
    Interesting post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can understand that totally. School is stressful enough without any add-ons, so taking care of yourself is a great idea.

      Delete
  2. I usually try to write a hundred words or something before bed during the school year, which makes writing a book take forever but hey, writing is writing, right?

    That's super interesting that you've kinda stopped (well, not stopped, paused) your creative endeavours during the school year and instead focused on my essay-themed stuff. I think I'd go crazy if I couldn't do my creative writing, but if it works for you then that's great! And enjoy your poetry class :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good plan for you! I should do something like that.

      I mean, I feel like there's a creative element to my essay-type writing that makes me excited, but I'm also not totally cut off. I've got my notebook and my poetry class to keep my busy when I have time. :)

      Delete
  3. Honestly, since I was 15 I have fallen back on my writing quite a bit. I'm trying to get back up and write a bit each week. However, it's easier to stay on top of reading. I have my Bible to read everyday so yeah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that. I hope that you can continue to improve with your reading and writing!

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!