Monday, September 19, 2016

Five Posts a Day

Shimmer
Flickr Credit: Wetsun
I love going to school, but I have to admit it’s disappointing to lose some of my blogging time.

Fortunately, writing blog posts hasn’t become unmanageable. I didn’t think I was going to come up with a Thursentary last week, and then I had so much free time that putting one together Wednesday afternoon was a non-stressful experience. Normally, though, I reserve an hour on Friday mornings to write blog posts, and that gets me through the week.

But blogging isn’t just about being a good writer—good bloggers are also good readers and commenters.

I’ve never been a timely commenter. Even when I had plenty of time to frolic in the blogosphere over the summer, I was that person who showed up two weeks late to posts and made many executive decisions that involved ignoring various posts on my reading list. Still, there would be days when I could binge my reading list and conquer my neighborly duties.

Blog Binging season is over. Between homework and the recently-arrived seasons of Leverage, Supernatural and Elementary, my priorities have changed. (Sorry, mortals.) This doesn’t bother me—I’m not getting paid for this, and likewise, I wouldn’t expect other unpaid bloggers to devote their lives to this gig, either.

At the same time, the cost of not visiting other people’s blogs is great. I lose community and contacts, and that doesn’t appeal to me in the long run. I’ve hardly been able to hang out on Twitter, so blogging is the main way I’ve been able to stay involved. My solution isn’t amazing, but it’s functional.

I read five unread blog posts every day. It suits me, since I don’t have all the time in the world or a great attention span. I still don’t always comment and I don’t always reach my goal, but it’s still been helping. Doing something is always more productive than doing nothing. And I’m glad that my Bloglovin’ list is getting smaller, even if it takes a longer time than I am used to.

And sure, my inbox is flooded with comments from my own blog that I haven’t responded to in weeks. My Google Calendar is overwhelmed with post and tag ideas I haven’t gotten around to yet. My unfinished homework sits in a pile of guilt. Just kidding, I always do my homework before I blog. At any rate, it’s not a perfect system, but I’m managing.

It can be enough.

How do you stay active in the blogging community when your life gets busy?


12 comments :

  1. I know what you mean about there being plenty of time to read and comment during the summer (although sometimes I do just want to chill with a show or something else), and how during this season with other duties it can be hard. I just try to do so when I have spare time c:

    Amy;
    Little Moon Elephant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I definitely don't feel compelled to be a blogger ALL the time, no matter what time of year. Still, I can miss that blogging time with those new duties. :/

      Delete
  2. How do I stay active? Honestly, I don't. I'm terrible as a blogger because blogging isn't usually my first priority when life gets busy (maybe you can tell?). So I really admire people who manage to keep up with blogging and being part of the community while they're busy. Honestly, I'm in awe for how much you're still able to blog when you've got so much else going on. I tend to get burnt out when I try to do it all, and blogging inspiration and motivation goes completely out the window!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get that, and it is a bummer. *sighs* I try to do my best to avoid being burned out, though—I take vacation weeks if I need them!

      Delete
  3. I know the feeling exactly. I took about a month off to move (as you know) and I've been finding it really hard to get back into the swing of blogging. Commenting back is a huge value that I stand behind, so I'm trying to catch up with that.

    I like your idea of reading 5 posts a day. A to-read goal would be useful for me to employ. Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, once you break a habit, it's also really hard to get back into it, which is part of why I've been reluctant to stop. Once I stop, how am I going to get started again?

      Glad you found this post helpful!

      Delete
  4. Blogging has pretty much fallen by the wayside for me since college started--I can't post as much as I used to, but I try to still read and comment regularly. I'm more worried about staying in the community than posting regularly. Five posts a day seems like a pretty reasonable goal--maybe I should try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you're doing what you can, and that is important in its own right. *nods* Staying in the community is still good, so I hope that if you pick out a goal it works for you. :)

      Delete
  5. Like you I also read five blog posts a day (Except on weekends), but I also make sure to comment even if it's short. I take time every night to reply to comments on my blog. My blog interaction always comes first.

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *nods* That's something I admire. I too often fall into the trap of "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." So... I read, but the interaction doesn't always come like that.

      Delete
  6. Oh. You only tricked us. I was about to say, "Heather, you can do your homework, it's fine. Honest."

    Five comments a day is quite good. Now that I finally have a laptop of my own, I can read blogs when I want! (Though I should probably do 10 posts a day because everything is piling up).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD Yeah, my title was not superb.

      Ugh, yeah. Everything piles up so fast, doesn't it?

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!