Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Mid-Year Book Freakout Tag


Both Ishita from Bookmyopia and Jameson from Lovely Whatsoevers were kind enough to tag me for the Mid-Year Book Freakout Tag. Thank you both!

This tag feels a little overdue—we’re getting to be three-fourths of the way into the year already. Can you believe it? What’s more, I’ve read 115 books so far this year, and I sincerely doubt that this represents any less than 60% of my reading grand total this year. Such is life.

via Goodreads
best book you’ve read so far in 2016 | It isn’t the one I most enjoyed, but The Color Purple by Alice Walker probably steals this spot. I should really see about listening to the musical.

best sequel you’ve read so far in 2016 | Life and Death by Stephenie Meyer was a really cool re-imagining of the Twilight Saga… It just delighted me.

new release you haven’t read but want to | I still haven’t gotten my hands on Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff, which I should probably do.

via Goodreads
most anticipated release during the second half of the year | The only releases I anticipate are for my favorite series, and that’s going to be another year’s wait.

biggest disappointment | Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor. Due to what I felt was a poorly-constructed Deus-ex-machina-esque plotline, the first book ended up being my favorite. Never a good thing in a series.

biggest surprise | I didn’t expect On the Edge of Gone by Corrine Duyvis to be anything extraordinary, but it totally was. Props to this book.

via Goodreads
favorite new author | I know she isn’t new-new, but I think Becky Albertalli’s Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda makes her a good fit for this spot.

newest fictional crush or ship | Nobody’s been able to beat Ignifex from Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge. However, if you find a prettier, funnier murderer with magical powers and a tortured past, you just let me know.

newest favorite character | I may or may not have fallen in love with everybody in The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton again since I didn’t love them nearly enough in middle school. *squishes all the boys*

via Goodreads
book that made you cry | Books don’t make me cry. Nobody writes that well.

book that made you happy | Howl’s Moving Castle by Diana Wynn Jones. I read it and maybe I adore everything about that book but I will neither confirm nor deny that fact.

favorite book-to-film adaption you saw this year | I recently watched The Host, based on the book by Stephenie Meyer. It wasn’t amazing in terms of a movie, but it honored the story, and I liked that.

via Goodreads
favorite post from 2016 | I liked writing CarRecs, because I will be the first to enjoy my sense of humor. But, after that, I also really liked talking about Jareth from Labyrinth and also whether male voices dominate in school reading.

most beautiful book you’ve bought in 2016 | By default, I think this has to go to Vicious by V.E. Schwab because it’s the only one that I bought where someone put some actual thought into the cover design and isn’t falling apart.

books you need to read by the end of the year | I’d love to get through Symptoms of Being Human by Jeff Garvin, Sofia Khan is Not Obliged by Ayesha Malik, and Demon Road by Derek Landy.


That’s a wrap! It doesn’t feel like I said anything particularly new or revealing but it was all true, so you have that going for you.

I tag Victoria, Sophia, Jade, and Christina. Have at it, mortals!

Pick two of the questions above and tell me what your responses would be!

14 comments :

  1. I was tagged for this but haven't done it yet... oops, I better get on that. I finished Vicious this morning but.. I was sort of disappointed. It didn't blow me away like I expected (sorry!)I was really proud of my World War II and a couple of other discussion posts. I really need to start and finish A World Without You by Beth Revis-- it is patiently waiting on my e-reader as we speak (and my own poor darling ereader is broken so I'm borrowing a family one)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, well. You can do it when it's convenient, right? It's okay if you were disappointed. Not everyone enjoys the same stuff. And I've heard many good things about Beth Revis, so I hope you enjoy it when you read it!

      Delete
  2. Oooooh fun. Vicious has a better US cover, although I prefer the UK covers of AGOS and ADSOM. The Color Purple is a musical? That sounds very interesting. I'd love to see how that turns out :) . I like Carrecs too, although I don't know that much about cars. (maybe The Raven Boys helped with that though) . Even though Me Before You wasn't perfect, it made me cry real tears and stuff. And I LOVED Simon so much, and illumine was fine (it's very hard to characterise through only documents and I spent much time being confused). I haven't read dreams of Gods and monsters, but I want to. On the other hand, I've kind of forgotten the plot, just a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Color Purple is a movie and a musical and a book and isn't that great? I don't rally know anything about cars, so it's really just me and my fantasy. Yay for Simon! And yes, now that it's been a while I'm hearing more mixed reviews regarding Illuminae. And forgetting the plot—isn't that always the tricky part with series?

      Delete
  3. Omg I love the Outsiders. SO MUCH LOVE. I read it twice in one year I think, but like I have zero clue where the book is now, but I need to re-read it again.😂 I love how it does that ends-at-the-beginning thing?! So awesome. :')
    ALSO VICIOUS IS LIFE. And I quite love Simon Vs and Illuminae!

    Also agree with you on Dreams of Gods and Monsters. :( That series went sooo far downhill for me after book 1. Honestly with all the purple fluff prose I didn't even know what was going on half the time. #disappointed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, coming from ye who does not reread, that is exceptionally high praise for the Outsiders! I love it, too. It is just great. :)

      They are all great books, no?

      Yeah. I listened to it on audiobook so there was a little help there, since they were pacing it for me, but it did get a little boring and a little distracting. I also think that introducing too many new characters towards the end of the series made it tough, because you don't care about the new people, you care about the old ones.

      Delete
  4. "books don't make me cry. nobody writes that well." Oh, yeah? Have you ever read The Kite Runner? That book...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not. But I'm certainly willing to try it out!

      Delete
  5. The Outsiders is one of the few books from school I enjoyed reading, I am due for a reread though, it's been too long.
    Howl's Moving Castle is one of my absolute favorites, I love the fantasy world and the way Sophie seems to just continuously bump into crazy things and say, "oh well, I will just proceed with my life like nothing is strange" is hilarious. The Studio Ghibli movie adaptation is really good and the characters make me laugh with their strangeness.

    -Crystal
    You're Just Right

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in total agreement. The Outsiders was a real treasure to read. :)

      Yes! Sophie really does make that book humorous, especially as she is so accepting of everything that happens to her. It's one of her most endearing traits. I wasn't as big of a fan of the Studio Ghibli movie because they changed a few of my favorite parts, but that is okay. It was still good. :)

      Delete
  6. You are welcome! Thanks for doing this! Haven't read The Color Purple yet .. I always have a hard time getting into epistolary novels, but I have heard so much about this classic that I really want to read it some day.. I think I might end up catching it on Netflix before that happens ..

    Ishita (bookmyopia/wordpress)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for tagging me! I think The Color Purple is really good, and the chapters are pretty short so we have a mostly fast-paced story. I think it works, but that's just me. If you read it, let me know what you think! :)

      Delete
  7. YOU MUST READ ILLUMINAE. It was gorgeous, even if the formatting was a little weird. And I need to read Howl's Moving Castle, because apparently it's super good but I've never gotten around to it. (And also, watch me flood your comments as I catch up with my reading for the past 4 weeks...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I AM GETTING THERE OKAY? And yes, Howl's Moving Castle is adorable and amazing and I loved it. :) (Oh, have fun. Watch me flood my own comments as I finally catch up with these two weeks later.)

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!