Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Do You Dream About Books?

Dream
Flickr Credit: G.iulina

Dreams are okay. They are fun to have sometimes, and they make the nighttime more interesting.

All right, forgive me if I sound a little unenthusiastic. It’s intentional. I hold no grudge against dreams, but at the same time, I don’t put a lot of stock in them. They don’t mean anything to me. They aren’t mystical. They aren’t special. They are just a routine bodily function, kind of like a biological garbage disposal.

But I have to admit that occasionally dreams are intriguing, even fun. Some of my favorites are when I have a dream related to books or reading.

I’ve had dreams where I enter the story of a book. In dreams like this, I often interact with the characters but we don’t always follow the book’s storyline. It’s like subconscious fan fiction. The one I remember best involved me and my best friend joining up with the H.I.V.E. crew and I ended up getting stuck in an elevator shaft. It helped me spy on people, though, so I wasn’t mad. Also, my best friend was pretty good at fighting—notable because we both would get killed if we ever did any James-Bonding in real life.

I’ve had dreams where I take pieces of books, or even movies, and turn them into something else. This definitely has something to do with the garbage disposal idea. If I was reading or watching something before bed, my bed processes that by occasionally inserting a favored fictional character into whatever else I’m dreaming about. The most interesting one I can think of was one where a young Harrison Ford piloted a clockwork spaceship manned entirely by squirrels.

(No, I did not make that up.)

I’ve also had dreams where they are related to books because I spend the dream reading. This might be the kind of dream I remember most often. I once had a dream where I sat in a chair and read Encyclopedia Brown and had trouble solving the mysteries. I had another dream where I sat at my computer and read reviews on Amazon. And, occasionally, I read other stuff, too. I’ve dreamed that I’ve been chatting with my friends on an Internet Relay Chat or Facebook and just chatted for a while.


I like these kinds of dreams. I don’t usually remember a lot of dreams, so dreaming about books often gives me something to hold onto when I have something I want to remember and write down. It works for me. And it makes me a little curious:

Have you ever had a book-related or reading-related dream?


14 comments :

  1. "Biological garbage disposal". Haha, I've actually had dream(s) about The 100 by Kass Morgan. Maybe that's because a) I love the television series and b) the books are pretty awesome. Have you ever read it or seen the tv series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually haven't heard of The 100 at all. Still, if it's good enough for both books and TV and your dreams, that probably means it's pretty good, huh?

      Delete
  2. Ugh I HATE dreaming. It is the worst thing in my life arghargh. I almost always have stress-dreams😂 and wake up so exhausted and stressed out that it was like "why am I bothering to rest if THIS IS GOING TO HAPPEN" *howls* Ahem. Anyway. I don't generally dream about things, I more dream and remember the feelings of it. Because my memory is a grape apparently. But I did dream about Game of Thrones once! YOU CAN IMAGINE THAT IT WAS NOT FUN. It's the only bookish related dream I remember ever having?? And basically I was wading/drowning through a swamp to get to a castle and that's not even in the books so who knows.😂 If dreams were optional I would not have them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, having stressful dreams is a major bummer! I'm sorry to hear about that. Dreaming about Game of Thrones is definitely the kind of book series that makes it even worse. XD I am sorry that dreams are not optional, for your sake.

      Delete
  3. In AP Psychology we were learning about how dreams mean nothing. My sister always seems to have crazy convoluted dreams. I've had dreams where I was taken around the factory by Willy Wonka (when I was like seven though), and I've been Sophia from the Montmaray Journals and a friend of mine has been Simon, and Voldemort has occassionally turnedup in my dreams. I also have dreamt of semi-flying that was based on some book I read but I'm not sure which one. I don't mind dreaming, I don't really have scary dreams except for one recurring one. Thanks for the post (and your dreams are very hilarious)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only learned it in regular psychology, but good to know you folks are learning other good things. XD That's quite a wide variety of bookish folk who are meeting you in your dreams! Sorry to hear about your scary recurring dream. :/

      Delete
  4. Oh I just had a dream about a book last night. basically Shanti had borrowed The Cursed Child from my classmate(who doesn't read, to my knowledge) and he was trying to go to hang out with his girlfriend and shanti was trying to finish it and it was freakin' hilarious. (what does it mean? nothing, probably). I've had other bookish dreams but I can't currently think of them. Every morning (if I remember them, which is often), I try to tell my family about my weird dreams but they don't seem that interested (cries).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XDD That's an odd dream, but it does sound quite amusing! I am sorry that your family does not find your dreams interesting. Usually dream-sharing usually weirds me out, but if you ever talked about your glorious and/or interesting dreams on your blog, I would suck it up and comment just for you. :)

      Delete
  5. I was about to say no, but I did have a dream that Voldemort killed a (former) classmate of mine. Yup, he said "avada kedavra" or however you spell it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that's a little disturbing... But, I suppose that is what Voldemort must do.

      Delete
  6. "A young Harrison Ford piloted a clockwork spaceship manned entirely by squirrels." If there is not fanfic of that somewhere on the Internet, then there needs to be. Immediately. (I just smile every time I read that sentence.)

    I don't usually dream about books (to my knowledge), but once I did dream that Legolas and I were trapped in an underground tunnel system that was slowly being filled with lava, and we had to climb up the cliff/tunnel face to get out. *whistles and backs away slowly*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really happened and yeah, I have no idea. It is just one of those things that ought to go down in infamy.

      Well, you know, if you have to do a lot of climbing, I suppose Legolas is the guy to hang out with. You could have been stuck with someone with a cannon tied to his feet.

      Delete
  7. Dude. I kinda want to read a fanfic about the Harrison Ford and squirrels one, lol.

    I'm sure I've dreamed about books before, but unfortunately, I can't think of very many specific ones. I did dream about snakes last night, though. No special bookish snakes. Just normal ones. For some reason, in my room.


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD That would be super fun, no?

      Ah, that is too bad. Snakes in your room does not sound like a fun party to be at. :P

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!