Monday, August 8, 2016

A (Virtual) Blogger Care Kit for You

First Aid Kit and Key
Flickr Credit: Felix E. Guerrero
Being a blogger is no party. Well, sometimes it’s a party, like when we host parties or attend parties. Blogging can involve literal digital parties if we want. Let me rephrase.

*ahem* Being a blogger is a trying experience sometimes. This is a fun job, it’s social, and it gives you a lot of freedom. At the same time, it can be exhausting, especially when the hard work you do doesn’t seem to offer a big payoff. I’m intimately familiar with these feelings, and that’s why I have a solution: a Blogger Care Kit!

Some magical being out there would make an actual box with actual things to make this work. I am not that magical being. I am not even a remotely crafty being. But I do have good ideas. See?

1. The Take-a-Break Card—if you need to pause your blog for school, mental health, or literally anything, then do it. Stop. You never have to justify the fact that you need to take a break. Certainly, I think it is an A+ move to say, “Hey, I’m not posting this week/month/year” if you decide to take an extended leave. But you never have to say why. Like going to the bathroom in college, if you need to go, just go.

2. The Worship and Admiration Trove—some days, you may hate your blog. Fortunately, there are always people who like your blog. To remind myself of this, I have a list saved of nice things people have said about my blog or blogging abilities over the last couple years. I can take that encouragement and work knowing that someone cares.

3. The Cool Blogging Neighbors—look up! You have a great blogging community around you. Sometimes, the best way to stop getting hung up on your own blog is to spend time on someone else’s. Let them make you laugh. Comment back. Encourage them, or respond to one of their posts in your own. Hit them up on Twitter for a chat. There are great people (including me) who you can reach out to should you ever need help or encouragement. That, I promise.

4. The Blog-Free Zone—of course, sometimes you might need to separate yourself from blogging entirely. I’d recommend keeping some form of social media where you don’t need to use your blogging persona, or perhaps logging off the internet entirely. Watch a movie or read a book with no intent to blog about it. Take a walk in the park. Catch some Pokémon. I believe in you.

5. The Bid at Something New—and, if it feels like your blog is stuck in a rut, exhausting and impossible, remember that this is YOUR blog. You can make changes as needed, even when they’re hard. Give up a blogging day, change your theme, update your bio, talk about something new… do SOMETHING to recharacterize yourself as a blogger.


You are important. You are important as a blogger, and you are more important than your blog. Be sure to take care of yourself, okay? Okay.

What do you do when blogging gets to be emotionally draining?


16 comments :

  1. These are all so important. Especially taking a break from blogging when you need to. I always feel guilty when I do, but sometimes you just need to recharge. And I think that everyone secretly worries that their blog isn't any good--I know I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *nods* I think it's very easy to think that you need to be consistent or fail. But that's not the case. I have to remind myself of that sometimes. But yes, people always worry, including me. That, I think, is why it's important to have other bloggers who encourage you!

      Delete
  2. I think finding the time to take a step back and just refuel is important, and yet it can be hard to do this. Because if you're contemplating it, you may also feel slightly guilty (which you shouldn't because it is entirely valid and okay to take a break sometiemes)because 'other bloggers don't do this' or 'what if people just stop reading?'. But at the end of the day, your mindset and wellbeing are more important than your blog traffic.

    (Sorry, went off on a tangent there, didn't I?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you totally nailed it. People feel this way all the time, I think, and being transparent about those feelings is really what helps us address them. I think some people don't even realize that there are successful writers and bloggers out there who don't hold themselves to the same high standards. But either way, you're totally right. One's well being matters more than one's blog traffic.

      Delete
  3. Your posts are always refreshing and invigorating. Thanks for the inspiration Heather, I needed it : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I'm glad I helped! And whatever may be nagging at you today, I really hope that you feel even more inspired and hopeful by the people and things around you. :)

      Delete
  4. DUDE I SO NEEDED THIS. Thank you. This was fabulous. I struggle allowing myself to take a break even though I need one. So thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that you read it, then. :) Please, DO take breaks and DO take care of yourself, because you would be missed if you were to burn out.

      Delete
  5. Take a walk in the parK? Catch some Pokémon? Heather.... I thought you were different.

    *shakes head*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yo, just because I don't play doesn't mean I can't support those who do. ;)

      Delete
  6. Yep. I've used the Take-a-break card (more than I would've liked to, yes) but I've accepted that life gets busy. And as much as I love blogging (and the blogging community! <3 ) it can draining. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *nods* Especially when we're still in school and still adjusting and finding ourselves, it can actually be important and necessary to accept break-time. Especially because, as you said, blogging can be draining. And it is okay to admit that.

      Delete
  7. YES!!! Actually, this is a very nice thing for me to read, especially since school has just started and I'm suddenly like 'I have no time to blog or comment! I'm a terrible person/blogger' *guilty stares at the two tests tomorrow* (so that's why I'm commenting less FYI) . I guess some of my blogging strategies is to do easy posts like tags if I'm struggling with new ideas, and also (at least recently) I wrote a lot of reviews in the holidays, then I post like one a week just so I don't have to write as many posts. I also like to read other peoples posts, or google gymnasts (or maybe that was just yesterday) *waves*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are NOT a terrible person or blogger, Shar! Just so you know. You are great, and I sincerely hope you find a good balance in your life. :) I totally get needing to fall back on easy posts, though. XD I have done the same. Good luck in school!

      Delete
  8. All the hearts for this post!!! <3 <3 <3 Like, YES. This care kit is very good. I think my hardest thing to remember was that it's okay to take a break or just step back for a bit if I need to; but as I've done it more, I've gotten better at it (maybe too good? lol). But anyways yeah, we can put so much pressure on ourselves to be "good bloggers," such that we forget that it really doesn't have to be so stressful. I mean, we're here to have fun, right? Not to make it a chore. That's something that I at least need to make sure I remember. :)

    Again, great post!


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad! Doing your best to take care of you can take practice, but in the end, I think it's worth it (even if you get a little too accustomed to stepping back, haha). And yeah, at least in our community right now we aren't making any money off of this gig, so why stress it? XD

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!