Monday, June 13, 2016

Social Media Survey Results

Good day, mortal. You may remember that for a week and a half I nagged people to take a social media survey for my own devious purposes. The results are in! Special thanks to Katie Grace for suggesting I share the results because it didn’t occur to me that you would care.

Read that in a nice voice.

Anyway, here are the graphs of the results from the survey. Not all of the questions and responses are the verbatim of what was on the survey—that is just for the sake of space. They all convey the same point. Also, sorry for the fuzzy graphs.


It looks like most of the people in this blogging community have a blog. Whoda thunk. At any rate, I feel most compelled by the sites that over half of the fifteen respondents said they use, which includes Goodreads, Bloglovin’, Twitter, Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram.


Hard to draw any real conclusions with a small survey base and varied answers, but perhaps it’s telling that the top three answers were 3-6 hours, 1-3 hours, and > 12 hours.

To give you some perspective, a couple people spend anywhere from ten minutes to half an hour on social media every day and the most number of people (six) spend between half an hour and fifty minutes on social media every day. And then there are the people who spend at least two hours on social media every day.

Shout out to those people.


It looks like most people are comfortable sharing non-personal writing on their social media, which makes sense. My audience is mostly book and writing bloggers. While talking about The Raven Cycle may be a deeply personal experience for some people, it is also not the kind of thing that can lead me to your house.

Along that train of thought, if many of my followers are also writers, then it makes sense that you’d be spending a lot of time building a rep outside of your normal friend group.

And then, I assume, are the Bookstagrammers and photography bloggers.


EVERYBODY LIKES BLOGGING I GET IT. (The graph is weird, by the way, because some people were more specific in their loving of blogs, so I was specific in my data-sharing. But the long bar is the grand total.)

After the blogging, Goodreads and Twitter are the top choices. This doesn’t surprise me, either. We all like to read here, and, well, Twitter is Twitter. And that’s why we love it, too.


Basically comment back and respond to tweets. The way to really milk social media is to be social. My favorite. Still, here are a few of my favorite thoughts in response to this question:

I really like any question that you can answer as a reader, whether that's on the end of a blog post or a tweet.
Chat with me!
Commenting on blogs is always good, but I think Twitter is the most interactive.

Anyway, I don’t really have an action plan for what I want to do with this just yet—but I’m putting it out here so that you know and I know and everybody knows about what happened when I made a survey. Ta-da.


What do you think of the results? Do any of the numbers surprise you? Is there any social media advice you think is worth adding to the mix?


2 comments :

  1. This is really interesting! It doesn't really surprise me that so many people use social media so much. I'm hardly a social person (I really don't get the 'social' part of social media that well), but I would definitely fall into the 3-6 hours a day category. With so many people blogging and writing, social media is definitely the best way to get yourself and your blog out there as well as connect with a writing community for support and understanding friendships. It's really cool to see which social medias are the most popular. So much to be learned here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knowwww, being social on social media is difficult sometimes. XD But, I have to agree, you have to be social to get the people you need in your life in our most illustrious and glorious of professions. :)

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!