Saturday, June 18, 2016

#RW Update 4 and Fantasy Pride Display

I am reading…
Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
On the Edge of Gone by Corrine Duyvis
And the Bride Wore White by Dannah Gresh
23/30 books finished

Pride flag
Flickr Credit: Quinn Dombrowski
We’re coming up on a week since the Orlando shooting. It’s hard to find words to put voice to such a tragedy—not just because hate crimes like these cause such unspeakable pain, but because I am an outsider to the community victimized by this event. It’s hard to find words because my voice isn’t really the one that needs to be heard.

There are many LGBT+ voices responding to the Orlando shooting right now and they are without a doubt worth listening to. But if we—as outsiders, as a society, as anybody—only listen in the wake of tragedy… I’d want to use a word stronger than “contemptible” but that’s the one I’m going to use.

For things to get better, we have to listen, and listen every day. Since it’s LGBTQ+ Pride Month, I thought I’d share a few of my favorite voices that I’ve heard over the last few months. Like a library display of my favorite novels and other works with LGBTQ+ characters and voices. Except online, because I’m poor.

Some of these are #ownvoices (most best), some of these just have really entertaining queer characters, some of these have an LGBTQ+ author but it doesn’t always come up in the story (which I think is still valid).

Real Life Type Stuff

Honor Girl by Maggie Thresh
The Argonauts by Maggie Nelson
Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson

KidLit and YA

George by Alex Gino
Half Bad by Sally Green
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz
Ruin and Rising by Leigh Bardugo
Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
More Happy Than Not by Adam Silvera
Beyond the Red by Ava Jae
None of the Above by I.W. Gregorio
On the Edge of Gone by Corrine Duyvis
Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli

Adult

The Color Purple by Alice Walker
Angels in America by Tony Kushner
A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab
Wit by Margaret Edson

They’re Graphic Novels So They Kinda Work For All Age Groups I Think

Ares: Bringer of War by George O’Connor
Apollo: The Brilliant One by George O’Connor


Yup. Those are the books I would set out. I feel like if I were an amazing blogger I would tell you why I loved them or what exactly to look for in the books or something along those lines… But nah. In many ways I think these books speak for themselves. And if they don’t, they all have reviews on Goodreads.

And, I suppose, even though I couldn’t put these onto an actual display, since we’re here there are a few more links to click on:

Rosaline is an adorable little fairy tale with a lesbian romance and also the heroine is not useless at all. In case you need a smile in the next five minutes.

Engie over at Musings from Neville’s Navel wrote a really important response post to the Pulse Shooting and came up with a nifty resource list, too. Although ‘nifty’ is probably too cheery a word, on second thought.

Finally, Topaz over at Six Impossible Things released a totally free eBook of poetry, and I think this tweet pretty much sums up everything I want to say right now, except go download it.


My heart goes out to the victims of the Pulse shooting and their families. They remain in my prayers, and they remain a reason for many, many others to keep speaking, and for people like me to keep listening. We just gotta.


Are you reading anything in honor of LGBTQ+ Pride Month?


6 comments :

  1. So yes I basically agree with this entire post, although I can't say I've read all these books. I actually haven't read anything specifically for Pride month, even though it's a thing, I guess I haven't thought about this month specifically?And I have read three of the books you mentioned in the last few months. Simon Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I recommended them because they're good, so if you're ever looking for a Pride-related read, I enjoyed these ones. :) Isn't Simon cute?

      Delete
  2. Have you ever read The Art of Being Normal? It's a fantastic book and I highly recommend it.
    The Pulse shooting...when I heard about it, I finally understood what it meant to feel as though your heart is broken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been meaning to get my hands on it, but I haven't yet due to my #readwomen commitment. It's on my list as soon as August comes, though!

      I know. It was such a tragedy. :/

      Delete
  3. I haven't read any of these books, but I have A Darker Shade of Magic on hold at the library! Thanks for the virtual display:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one is pretty good, although not my favorite. I hope you enjoy it! :)

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!