Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Hamilton Book Tag

I don’t know who invented book tags but thank you. And now… HAMILTON BOOK TAG WHAAAAAT


Rules:
thank the person who tagged you and link back to their blog
link back to the original post
match each song listed with a book of your choice based on the criteria given
tag tag tag!
let people know that you’ve tagged them

via Goodreads

ALEXANDER HAMILTON :: a book with an underdog protagonist

If Celie is not an underdog in The Color Purple by Alice Walker, I don’t know what to tell you. It’s like her life is a sandwich of abuse and tragedy. But somehow it is beautiful.

(Side fact—this book is also a musical.)

MY SHOT :: a book that made you want to RISE UP and tell everyone about it

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, which I did, as evidenced right here:
via Goodreads

THE SCHUYLER SISTERS :: a book with some kickass sisters

Blah, I need to find kickass sister books this summer because I haven’t read any yet! I’ll fall back on Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge, in which the sisters are not only kickass, but crazy-ass, too. (Just sayin’.)

YOU’LL BE BACK :: a book you know you’ll read again

This is silly—I am a rereader in general. But still. I want to buy and reread The Host by Stephenie Meyer because it is one of two alien stories that I really, really like. Humanity through the eyes of another… it is… depressing, but good.

via Goodreads

HELPLESS :: a book you couldn’t help but buy

Thanks to Amazon’s kidlit eBook sale the other day, I am now the proud owner of The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie. Because really, guys. How could you resist Sherman Alexie?


DEAR THEODOSIA :: a book that blew you away

Beloved by Toni Morrison. I promise that it is a necessary read—it will break you into dust before it blows you into the wind.

via Goodreads

NON-STOP :: a book you couldn’t stop reading

I read Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson yesterday. The poetry made it easy to keep going and going like the Energizer bunny. Also, I liked it. Also, I wanted an even ten books for May.

CABINET BATTLE #1 :: a book you would always defend in an argument

The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer, mostly because it’s the only book I’ve been reading that really needs me to defend it. Which I’ve been meaning to do this summer. Note to self.

via Goodreads

THE ROOM WHERE IT HAPPENS :: a book with a unique setting

Take a moment to think of setting not just as the physical spot in which a story is set, but also the cultures, norms, and identities that make that spot more than a patch of dirt. Okay? Okay. Please Don’t Tell My Parents I’m a Supervillain by Richard Roberts got me going one day when I realized that the gender dynamics didn’t bother me.

I was at work washing a mirror and it occurred to me, “THERE ARE GIRL SUPERS AND BOY SUPERS AND IT ISN’T EVEN A BIG DEAL!”

Superhero stories are often guy-centric (hi Marvel, hi DC). But a girl narrates this story. She has friends who are girls. And she knows girls. There are girls. Good girls, bad girls. Moms. College girls. Grandma girls. But the grandma sold magic drugs, I think; she didn’t have powers.

IT’S QUIET UPTOWN :: a book that left you speechless (and/or emotionally devastated)

The Motherless Oven by Rob Davis was an emotional whirlwind that also was sad. And happy. And confusing. And just… being a teenager is hard, man.

via Goodreads

THE ELECTION OF 1800 :: a book revolving around a competition

I like this song because it includes women in the story of how Jefferson came to be president. Just because women didn’t vote doesn’t mean they didn’t pay attention to the elections, or even share some small voice in the matter.

I submit Bad Feminist by Roxane Gay because, in many ways, gender equality has been competition-ish-y for-basically-ever. Feminism advocates for women getting to compete with fair rules. But it’s also nice when women aren’t erased from history.

WHO LIVES, WHO DIES, WHO TELLS YOUR STORY :: a book with a memorable narrator

Finally, Yes Please by Amy Poehler. I don’t think she was memorable just because her own stories were hilarious and meaningful, but somehow, she managed to make them personal for me, too.

Also: Sir Patrick Stewart reads haikus about boobs and if that does not appeal to you then I officially give up.

via
TAGS! Tags for Alexa and Aimee because I know they like Hamilton.

Okay, first you must tell me your favorite Hamilton songs, and then tell me the books that go with them. Please.


13 comments :

  1. So my school performed In The Heights and I loved the music and listened to it a lot, so I gave Hamilton a try (though I've only listened to act one so far because I started Act Two and realised I didn't really like Hamilton. Which is like the point, so I guess I'll finish eventually.). And I'm not American, but the music is bigger than that. I love Helpless and Satisfied. I think a book that makes me perfectly Satisfied is The Fitzosbornes in Exile. I'm Helpless for Kiera Cass's books, even though I can see that they aren't perfect. Awesome tag! I might do this one for fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In The Heights is also a gem. :) I dunno, I think that the play isn't necessarily about the likability of the bastard orphan but.. you know, maybe his role as a tragic hero and the way we tell our stories. I guess.

      But yeah, the music is bigger than that. xD I haven't read either of those, but nice! And I saw that you have, so I look forward to reading your answers. :)

      Delete
  2. I've heard some Hamilton songs but not all of them (shanti is trying to convert me) but this is a fun tag, which also gave me a lot of book recommendations :) And I've heard of that Sherman Alexie book but I haven't read it. It sounds good though! And the Color Purple is amazing, despite everything that happens to Celie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheheheheh one of us one of us one of us.

      IT IS REALLY GOOD. Like, trust me. Sherman Alexie is just good. And so is that one. And yes, The Color Purple is also so touching. I loved it!

      Delete
  3. Sabrina and Daphne Grimm are another pair of really cool sisters. Supervillain sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! I haven't read those books in years. And yes, Supervillain was a great book!

      Delete
  4. I don't know Hamilton. *hides*

    A book that I want to rise up and tell everyone about is The Book Thief because that book is so gosh darn good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I can forgive you this time. ;)

      Nice! It wasn't really my style, but I know that so many people have been touched by that story that it is well worth sharing. :)

      Delete
  5. A HAMILTON BOOK TAG????!!!! THIS IS THE BEST THING.

    The only one I've read of these is Locomotion, and I'm really glad you enjoyed it! I couldn't stop reading either; I basically finished in one sitting.


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, also I tagged you for an award! Obviously, no obligations, but if you would like to do the thing, here it is. :) http://thessalexa.blogspot.com/2016/05/tag-week-liebster-award-2016.html

      Delete
    2. AH KNOW THAT IS WHY I TAGGED YOU

      Yes, I read it on your recommendation, actually! :D It was a really nice story, even though it was also sad. I would have finished it in one sitting, too, except I had to go to work. xD

      And thank you! :) I'll get to it when I can!

      Delete
  6. Only recently did I start liking Hamilton. Now I'm absolutely nuts about it. ;) I think You'll Be Back and My Shot are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll Be Back is also one of my favorites! I also love anything with the Schuyler sisters in it—they seem so awesome. :)

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!