Monday, June 27, 2016

Don't Forget to Freewrite

Freedom
Flickr Credit: Moyan Brenn
Editing a novel can be depressing.

It isn’t always the fact that it takes a really long time, or that all the problems with your writing jump out, or that you hate your characters, or are getting really tired because it’s 11:49PM and you’re trying to hit your word count for the day. These all contribute to the daily dose of misery, of course, but they aren’t always everything.

For me, everything is the fact that editing is nothing new. I begin editing by rewriting the manuscript four or five times (and I draft short, which is why this is also necessary). I just make my ideas longer. A first draft, “He was short” becomes “My brother was three inches shorter than me” becomes “Yogi had the misfortune to be named Yogi and be three inches shorter than his younger sister, me.”

But that’s a deceiving process. Even when I wrote that tiny first draft sentence, I already had the third draft idea rocking around in my head somewhere. Maybe I hadn’t vocalized it yet or didn’t know how to phrase it, but I had the concept down. My editing is not really “writing” in the sense of creating something—it’s more like broadening a concept until it makes sense to me and others.

I have never named one of my characters Yogi, by the way. Yogi is my neighbor’s dog.

Anyway, broadening concepts gets boring after a while. There’s only so long that I can bear to review the things I already have in my head. When that happens, I feel like I hate all writing. And writing was a struggle over this last week, when I’ve been trying to get my latest draft finished before the end of June. I learned these things:

a) just because it seems like you hate writing doesn’t mean you do
b) if it seems like you hate writing then it’s possible you just hate broadening concepts
c) one way to remind yourself that you like writing is to freewrite

Freewriting. I don’t date my work (the creative stuff, anyway) so I can’t give an exact time period, but I’ve made almost my entire writing life about editing for months. I didn’t freewrite. And it was terrible.

I like writing because it is fun to make new stuff. Among other things. I don’t really have any other thoughts on that—it just needs to be said. Editing is about making that stuff better, but is often less fun than the actual making. And focusing on the editing can be a little depressing sometimes.

For some reason I picked up a notebook and I freewrote. It was incredibly enjoyable. And I am making note of its enjoyable-ness, so I don’t forget again. Because it matters.

I encourage you to freewrite, too. I don’t care if you throw it away or turn it into a novel. Just remember that sometimes, writing is fun not because you make it better, but because you wrote out the crap in the first place. And you will love that crap because it is yours.

What could be better than that?

Do you make freewriting part of your writing routine?

10 comments :

  1. Oh goodness, I so needed this right now. I'm in the middle of a third draft and I'm hating it (then of course the panic sets in because why am I hating writing? Am I a bad writer? Am I even a writer? I'M JUST GOING TO WORK AT MCDONALDS FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE AND AVOID ALL WRITING. OR BECOME A PIRATE. EITHER OR.)

    So thanks for the encouragement to just go and do something new. Also, I wish you the best of luck with your editing and/or freewriting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear it helped! Although if you are asking my sincere opinion, GO FOR THE PIRATE LIFE. It's way better than McDonald's, I'm sure.

      Best wishes to you as well! :D

      Delete
  2. Hooray for freewriting! When I need to de-stress or anything like that, I just pick up a pen and freewrite. Actually, now that I think about it, my current WIP was originally a freewritten piece I'd written after about a month of seemingly incurable writer's block.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's cool, actually! I usually have trouble turning a single freewriting session into a manageable idea, but it's cool that it worked for you! :D

      Delete
  3. This week has been pretty tough for me in terms of writing, too. Freewriting is a lot of fun, and I used to do a ton of it when I was blocked. Editing can get very mechanical, especially if you've been doing it for a while. (I'm reaching that stage with a draft of a short story.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mechanical is a great word for that. I think that is exactly the feeling I had when I wrote this post! I hope that you get through the rough stage though, and your WIP turns out better for it!

      Delete
  4. Ugh, thank you so much. When I'm sick of one of my stories, I'll complete one of my silly ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly stories are a great way to get your hands moving and your thoughts churning in a fun way!

      Delete
  5. I 100% agree! I'm in a similar state, been editing the same projects for a while now, and it is so important to find some way to keep your actually creating going while your editing, otherwise it is super easy to burn out. Nice post!


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that this post resonated with you! Creation is so easy to forget sometimes, huh? Thanks for reading, Alexa!

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!