Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Totally Should've Book Tag

Well, mortals? Back into the fray. Today’s tag comes from Alexa of Summer Snowflakes—the Totally Should’ve Book Tag! There were no rules, but that’s okay. I’m responsible enough to tag people on my own.

via Goodreads

Totally Should’ve Gotten a Sequel

Why are we so immersed in sequel culture? Are we so greedy we can’t accept standalones? What has happened to modern decency?!

Fine. Beyond the Red by Ava Jae because those villains deserve more screen time.

Totally Should’ve Gotten a Spin-Off Series

Sequel culture—we meet again! Blah. Though I don’t always mind if books take place in the same universe (e.g. Six of Crows and the Grisha Trilogy) too many times they end up horrifying me.

I do not wish this fate upon any upstanding book.


This Author Should Totally Write More Books

Um… I’m going to say Ava Jae again because she only has one book. Everyone else has books I could read, but I don’t.

via Goodreads

A Character Who Totally Should’ve Ended Up with Someone Else

Leah Clearwater from The Twilight Saga. I interpreted her character to be bisexual, and rather than leaving her in agony, she should have found a girlfriend and inner peace.

via Goodreads

Totally Should’ve Ended Differently

Winter by Marissa Meyer. I’m not saying it was a BAD ending, but I felt like it was… unsatisfying. It just didn’t suit the ideas the series had been building up to. Here’s what I think should have happened (and no spoilers, because this didn’t happen):

The dynamic ocho (nueve?) overthrows Queen Levana and she gets eaten by animals in her zoo or something. Levana’s fate is not important. Everyone is like, “Cinder should be queen!” but she is like, “No, I am a mechanic!” and then Emperor Kai is like, “Behold! A compromise!” Rather than making Cinder Luna’s queen, Princess Winter—who already holds the hearts and hands of her people—takes the throne instead. She also gets one of those fun anti-hallucination devices implanted in her back. As a strong leader well-acquainted with her culture, Winter appoints Cinder as an ambassador between Luna and Earth. This represents their continued friendship, and works better because Cinder grew up with an Earthen identity. Cinder then returns to Earth as girlfriend of the Emperor of the Eastern Commonwealth and does her own small part to create a more just and righteous relationship between Luna and Earth. Thorne and Cress live happily ever after. The end.
(To clarify: It isn’t that Thorne and Cress have a bad ending in the actual book. In the event that my version came true, it would just be important that it happened.)

Totally Should’ve Had a Movie Franchise

In general, bookworms would make really bad movie producers. Don’t worry, I won’t add myself to that mix.

Totally Should’ve Had a TV Show

If this tag demonstrates its poor judgment one more time…

via Goodreads

Totally Should’ve Had Only One POV

I have to admit Heroes of Olympus’ multi-POV was a turnoff for me. Percy Jackson was the dream and that’s where it stops.

via Goodreads

Totally Should’ve Had a Cover Change

Okay, I realize there has been a cover change, but I have no idea how they got away with the original Uglies by Scott Westerfeld. I like the front, but the spine! WHY?

via Goodreads

Totally Should’ve Stopped at Book One

I feel bad saying this because I liked 80% of the series, but Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor. It was good writing with good characters, but the ultimate plot felt so clumsy… I should have just accepted the tragic romance and the sad ending.

via Goodreads

Totally Should’ve Stopped Reading

Matched by Allie Condie. I kept thinking it was going to get better and it didn’t. It never did. And I put all my high hopes into that one...

via Goodreads

Totally Shouldn’t Have Predjudiced 

Lately my books have been falling to my low expectations, which is average. Perhaps a good one to use is To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. I reread it after four years, and I assumed I would like it less because I’m older and have a different point of view than I did as a naive fourteen year old. Turns out I still like it quite a bit!

Okay, me, the responsible tagger: Grace, Opal, Sunny, and Emily—you’re up!


The drill, the drill: pick two of the above and tell me what your answers would be!


6 comments :

  1. Wow, that Winter change is fantastic. I did love the book the way it was, but your ending would've worked really well too. Possibly better. Huh. I'll have to think about that. Especially the anti-hallucination device. Like, why wasn't that used????

    I always thought Jacob and Leah should've ended up together. Like, it's kind of being setup all throughout his POV in Breaking Dawn and then "NOPE HE'S FALLING IN LOVE WITH A BABY." *headdesk* Actually, I should've mentioned that one in my tag, but I didn't think about it at the time.


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I mean, I thought it worked as it was, but if it were me, that is how I would have done it. :P And the anti-hallucination device was like, mentioned, but it was only in preliminary stages of testing. But in my opinion, even if it hadn't come to its full development by the end of the book they still could have gone along the same thread.

      Really? D: I never thought they would be together. They don't even like each other! *shakes head* I'm still Team Leah's-girlfriend. XD

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed To Kill a Mockingbird. I would say it surprised me the first time I read it, mostly because it was assigned for school and it was actually enjoyable (unlike most books assigned for school).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found that as I get older I appreciate books assigned for school a little more, but I get what you mean. It was among the first that was so startlingly good.

      Delete
  3. I can't believe I got tagged! Thank you so much!

    As for the books you have listed, I have only read one: To Kill a Mockingbird. I should check more out this summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome!

      Well, TKAM is quite good. If you pick anything out, be sure to let me know what you thought!

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!