Thursday, May 5, 2016

Thursentary: Let's Hear It For the Fictional Moms

Mother’s Day is on Sunday! In honor of that holiday, I am commending a few of my favorite literary mothers and their children. Because I can.
I Love You Until the End
Flickr Credit: Anne Marie Rowley
(You may remember that I did a Dinner Party with dads and daughters, but I won’t follow that model this time. I need more room, and also, I need more wiggle room.)

Anyway, these are some great fictional moms and their kids. I highly recommend their maternal influence upon you. Just sayin’.
via Goodreads
Baghra and the Darkling (The Grisha Trilogy)—it’s hard to discuss these two because of the spoilers in the series, but I think of these two as the embodiments of the distance between intention and realization. They may have meant for something else, but, oh, it didn’t happen. Also, I liked that Baghra was portrayed as a woman who wanted to be a mother, but didn’t necessarily want to be a wife or partner. That interested me, and made me admire her all the more for her strength and determination.

via
Frigga and Loki (and Thor) (MCU)—it is possible I spend too much time looking at Avengers fanart on Pinterest to make this a viable thought anywhere else, but I love these two. Unlike Baghra, Frigga is not the mom of an evil overlord. She is just a mom. She taught her son and she forgave her son, but she did not destroy her son or succumb to his ideas. Loki’s grief for her was fitting. He lost an exceptional woman.

via Goodreads
Evangeline and Artemis Fowl (and Miles and Beckett) (The Artemis Fowl Series)—from the beginning Artemis shares a special relationship with his mom. He sacrifices half of his goal for her sanity, not to mention some of his independence and autonomy. Just because he is a young supervillain doesn’t detract from his loyalty to his mother. On top of that, Evangeline is just awesome. She always has Artemis’s back, even when she finds out that he’s traipsing the world with mythological beings and placing himself in harm’s way every day. Also, she gets him to wear jeans. HA.

via Goodreads
Renee and Bella (The Twilight Saga)—Renee is wiser than Bella gives her credit for. It’s true that Bella is somewhat more mature than her mother, but her mother has a sense of humor and hope that gives her a childlike sense of honesty. She just is who she is. She understands Bella and Edward better than most out there, and I think that means a lot when Bella gave up spending time with her mom for her mother’s relationship. They gave for each other. It was lovely.


via Goodreads
Esme and Edward (and Rosalie and Emmett and Bella and Alice and Jasper) (The Twilight Saga)—Esme has the biggest heart. For one thing, she adopts each vampire on that long list I just typed out, but her heart also extends to werewolves and humans and others. She comes from a place of heavy burden and loves those who come with burdens like it. Like her husband, she holds an amazing capacity for forgiveness, as she extends to Edward when he scares her half to death in New Moon. She’s just nice.


Of course, such a Mother’s Day post would be incomplete without also giving a shout-out to my own mom, who cares for her four daughters with empathy and understanding that I don’t appreciate enough. Love ya, Mom!


Who are some of your favorite moms in fiction?


8 comments :

  1. I love Evangeline in AF. You don't always get many scenes with her but you can tell how much everyone loves her by how much they give up for her, especially in the Time Paradox. Also, Frigga rocks. (And I haven't read Twilight so I can't comment there.)

    I think we really need more fictional moms who are awesome because they can be and are awesome and don't always get in the way of the MC. I think that's why some people (me included *hangs head*) gets rid of them. This was a great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I've tagged you for something (sorry I'm so lame with forgetting to let you know when I tag you :/) http://victoriasoceans.blogspot.com.au/2016/05/tags-of-many-multitudes.html

      Delete
    2. I haven't read any of these books, but shoutout to good moms in YA!

      The flashbacks of Kat in If I Stay suggest that she was a good mother, and of course Molly Weasley in Harry Potter :)

      Delete
    3. I know, Evangeline was so cool. Artemis gave up a lot for her, and I like her. So does Frigga.

      I knowww. Maybe it is just because my personal experience with moms versus the way I want my moms to be in books is just always in conflict. *sighs* Whatever.

      Thanks for the tags, Victoria!

      And to Opal, ah, yes, I totally forgot about Molly! In fact, my own mom reminded me of that fact later. XD

      Delete
  2. This post was so sweet <3 <3. i didn't realise you had so many sisters, Heather! I love the mother in The Book Thief. I love Sabriel as a mother in the later Old Kingdom books, Mrs Garret in My Life Next Door, and Melanie in The Host-- she's sort of a mother to Wanda as well as Jamie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, I do. I do remember the mom in TBT being a good woman to have in a crisis, so I can appreciate that. And as I'm reading The Host right now, I can see that! She is sort of mom-ish.

      Delete
  3. I look at too much fanart of them too. But it's because Frigga was fantastic, and it's the only way we can see more of her now <3 </3

    YES. Esme is the sweetest.


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbosityreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WAY TO BREAK MY HEART ALEXA YOU COME ON MY BLOG AND YOU SAY THESE TERRIBLE THINGS THAT I WASN'T GOING TO TALK ABOUT

      Yes, yes she is. :)

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!