Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Reread, Rewrite, BURN Tag!

THIS WILL BE SO FUN. The magnificent Liz from Out of Coffee, Out of Mind tagged me for the Reread, Rewrite, Burn Tag—a tag for books based off the “Kiss, Marry, Kill” game that we play with humans sometimes. Or “Bed, Wed, Behead,” if you’re King Henry VIII.


Anyway.

How It Works:

  • divide 15 books you’ve read into groups of three
  • for one trio, choose one book to reread, one to rewrite, and one to BURN
  • do that five more times
  • tag people

As for me, I’m doing this tag with the last fifteen books I’ve read. In order. Left to right, top to bottom, these are my last fifteen… and what I thought of them. Mwahahaha. Let’s go!

ROUND ONE

via // via // via
REREADAs I Lay Dying by William Faulkner (ha! like I could try to improve Faulkner, guys. we can’t.)
REWRITESherman’s Lagoon: Surfer Safari by Jim Toomey (I do love me some Sherman’s Lagoon. it could use some touch-ups, but still. good enough to keep.)
BURNNone of the Above by I.W. Gregorio (this was a really interesting look at an intersex character. I’d never had that experience and I’m glad I did. but also I am not a huge contemporary fan. sorry, not sorry.)

ROUND TWO

via // via // via
REREADCruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge (which I just did for the third time, if you were wondering.)
REWRITEAll My Sons by Arthur Miller (it’s a really good story but also I think Keller should have had to pay for his crimes in a different way. he took the coward’s way out.)
BURNChoose Your Own Autobiography by Neil Patrick Harris (it was funny and enjoyable but choose-your-own adventures are hard to get through the way they want. no need to repeat for a while.)

ROUND THREE

via // via // via
REREADDays of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor (ohhh so beautiful so painful so shiny so everything please help I am so desperate)
REWRITEA Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab (really interesting idea, but really slow execution and also Lila needs to stop putting women down. I won’t abide that girl until she shapes up.)
BURNThe Jungle by Upton Sinclair (such an important historical work but also kind of boring and not of the greatest literary quality.)

ROUND FOUR

via // via // via
REREADApollo: The Brilliant One by George O’Connor (because he never disappoints, guys. also, we so rarely focus on Apollo as being equally terrible as he is good and inspirational… so that was revealing.)
REWRITEThe Supervillain Handbook by King Oblivion, PhD (quirky and I liked the idea but it really satirized the comic book villain which made it feel very superficial.)
BURNA Matter of Life by Jeffery Brown (a perfectly decent book but I’m not really interested in rereading it)

ROUND FIVE

via // via // via
REREADDeadlock by Mark Walden (we should all just know by now that H.I.V.E. will always take this spot. and all my emotions sort of died again, and mostly I’m just sad and desperate now.)
REWRITEThe Starplace by Vicki Grove (I sort of mentioned this previously. it handled a tough topic well for kids, but I feel like at the end there could have been some closing thoughts helping kids understand how the world is/isn’t different now and how to be respectful in their own lives.)
BURNHark! A Vagrant! by Kate Beaton (this was such a great book! it was funny and historical and beautiful, and I recommend it. but also once I’ve heard a joke it kind of stops being funny until I forget, so I would burn it so I could move on and rediscover it and laugh again in ten years.)


That wasn’t too painful, was it? I enjoyed myself. Some of those books I’m glad suffered those fates.

In the meantime, I will do some tags. I invite Cait (Paper Fury), Alyssa (The Devil Orders Takeout), Victoria (Endless Oceans of My Mind), and Shar and Shanti (Virtually Read) because I think your answers would be interesting and/or some of you might have funny reactions. Like suffering. That would be amusing.

What are the last three books you read? Which would you reread, which would you rewrite, and which would you kill?


12 comments :

  1. Oh I need to read Cruel Beauty because I have heard so many great things about it! And also BEAUTY AND THE BEAST! What's not to love? Sad to hear that you didn't enjoy A Darker Shade of Magic :( But I'm still hoping that I might enjoy it when I do finally get around to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually reminds me more of a Hades/Persephone retelling than an actual Beauty and the Beast retelling, although there are some definite BatB references in there. And don't let my opinion get you down! I hope you like it more than I did when you read it. :)

      Delete
  2. Eeeep. THIS WILL BE FUN THANK YOU! :D And you read such a wide variety of books! *bows to your skills* Although, tbh, I though AGOS was perfect. XD Although Lila is seriously cold...I mean, I like her? But I like Kell/Rhy so much better and I do feel bad about that sometimes, heh. OMG YOU MAKE ME WANT TO REREAD CRUEL BEAUTY TOO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WELCOME! And yeah, that's kind of how the beginning of this year has turned out. xD Lila is pretty cold, which I don't mind, but still. There's like... a superiority she holds that frustrates me. Kell and Rhy are easier to swallow.

      GO AHEAD AND DO IT BECAUSE WHY NOT?

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the tag, Heather! (Although the thought of burning any books is going to send me into a week-long depression...) I'm also quite impressed by the wide variety of books you read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I'd get some amusing responses. And yeah. Like I told Cait, that's kind of how it's been so far this year, lol. :)

      Delete
  4. This is such a cool tag! I saw some video's on YouTube of it a while ago, and I thought I might steal it but never did :)

    I haven't read any of these books :/ I really need to get on to reading Cruel Beauty and A Darker Shade of Magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, nice! I think it was worth stealing. :)

      Indeed, I'd be curious to hear what you thought of both of those.

      Delete
  5. OHHHH MYYYYY. You want to rewrite ADSOM? Hmmm. I don't agree, but that's just me ... although I do think I ought to try Days of Blood and Starlight! I tried Daughter of Smoke and Bone and loved it, but wasn't sure whether to continue on because I have so many other books. Cruel Beauty is on my shelf and waiting for me though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just slow-paced and hard to get through and I wasn't overly fond of the FMC, but that is just me. Days of Blood and Starlight I enjoyed—I died of feels a lot, but it was worth it. Sort of. I'm hoping. (Reading the third book now, and if life doesn't get better, everything is going to make me sad.)

      When you read it, I'm curious to hear what you think!

      Delete
  6. I have not read any of these *scribbles down all your rereads* I got tagged for this one too, and it looks like SO MUCH FUN. I cannot wait! :D

    Speaking of, I tagged you for an award! Don't feel obligated--especially since I feel like you may have done this one last fall, but I thought I'd let you know anyway. :) https://verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com/2016/04/05/the-inifinty-dreams-award/


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) IT IS A GREAT TAG REALLY. I can't wait to see your answers!

      Also, thanks! :) I look forward to posting it. :D

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!