Monday, March 14, 2016

Five Reasons for Writers to Guest Post

First things first: Happy Pi Day! Go eat pie and do math to celebrate. (I know we like reading and writing here, but just imagine where we’d be without algebra, or geometry. And even if you don’t like them, there’s still pie.)

Second things second: Guest posting.

Most of the time, we talk about the importance of getting out there and guest posting from a blogger’s point of view. It matters to bloggers. You get more views and expand your audience. Maybe there is some other incentive involved. These are not wrong.

But forget blogging a moment—writers should guest post too, for writerly reasons. See, look:

via

1. It’s Writing Practice

IT IS ALL WRITING PRACTICE. Practicing is how we get better at our job. This kind of practice, though, does not just exercise your writing muscles but your critique-receiving muscles. A new audience means new blood, and with that? New reactions to respond to.

via

2. You Make Connections

Connections are important to writers. That is what I have been told. And also I know it for a fact. Through guest posting, you can meet new CPs or beta readers, new friends to enter your support group, or new readers who love your writing. Guesting posting is the big cheese… just another way to get out and about.

via

3. It Will Challenge You

Guest posting is challenging. When I do it, it is because it scares me—I recently entered a contest just because my first reaction was “oh my hell no I would never do that not in a million years nuh-uh.” So I made myself do it to grow as a person. I didn’t win, but my victory was in the submission and kicking fear in its face. Not everyone gets challenged that way, obviously. Even so, I think guest posting inherently comes with the challenge to speak to a new audience, find where your interests intersect, and then present yourself and your ideas in a way that will be meaningful to them. Is that not challenge itself?

via

4. You Read (Reading Helps)

Well, maybe not everybody does this. I do. Before I guest post, I read samplings of the host blogger’s work and guest posts they’ve previously accepted to get an idea of what they’re looking for. How will I do what I will do? In doing this, you take on the job of studying style and being damn stylish in response to that.

via

5. It is Fun!

Writing should be fun, and ultimately guest posting is. You have the awesome opportunity to connect with other people, especially other writers, and who knows? Maybe they will give you a vacation to Hawaii if you rock! (Just kidding. No one does that. But trust me, it is fun.)


And now I present the awkward transition, where I switch to the end, and as you may have guessed, is where I ask for guest posts. I say something like “next month is the end of the semester which will be super complicado so it would be the coolest thing if three or so people were willing to guest post on my blog so I don’t have to.”

Next month is the end of the semester which will be super complicado so it would be the coolest thing if three or so people were willing to guest post on my blog so I don’t have to.

via
this is literally the best gif I have saved to convince you that blogging here is great

I am flexible on that though. We could trade guests posts, if you wanted (although letting me get back to you in May would be a bro move on your part). You could have all the thunder to yourself and just donate a post. And if you don’t want to post, you could still show up here and give the currently non-verified guest posters some high fives to say “Good job!” and “Yay you!”

If this sounds like something you might like to do (and, I mean, why wouldn't you? I just gave you five great reasons to give it a try), visit my contact page or DM me on Twitter and I can give you a fuller idea of what I have in mind for guest posting, and you can pitch a few ideas about what you might like to talk about.

I fully recognize that this post is both pleading and suggestive. That is all.

Have you ever guest posted before?


10 comments :

  1. YES AGREED. I actually have so many interviews/guest posts lined up soon? Just eeeek. Guest posting is definitely fun, especially when you try to think of what would suit the host's audience well but also something you can actually talk a blog post about.

    PS: Would love to guest post on SiaS, but I dunno ... can't come up with a topic yet. But probably will be villain-related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Congratulations! It's so fun to see other bloggers get out and about. :)

      That's fine. If you can, I'd appreciate it, and if you can't, don't sweat it. As you said, it sounds like you've got other stuff lined up. :) Good luck with those other guest posts!

      Delete
  2. Ok, I wasn't going to comment because I pretty much agreed with everything you said (and I don't like writing comments where all I say is "yeah totally") but I was so monstrously pleased with that cat gif that I had to say something.

    Heather, I was so monstrously pleased with that cat gif.

    (And I'd love to guest post but I don't have ANY ideas as of now so if I think of something I'll get back to you...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such an adorable cat GIF, no? I went hunting for it special. <3

      And that is fine. If you get any ideas, feel free to let me know!

      Delete
  3. I love this post! And I totally agree with all your points. Especially about challenging yourself. Iknow for myself thatI need to keep challenging myself, especially when it's something I'm not confident on doing. And guest posting is one of those things. Speaking of, I'll be messaging you later, if you still need guest posters. Take up the challenge and that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, doing terrifying stuff is so important. And not in a get killed by a rhinoceros kind of way, just a get out of your comfort zone kind of way. I am still looking, so if you get any ideas, feel free to let me know! :)

      Delete
  4. I've never actually guest posted? I think these are all good reasons (the last gif especially tbh :P ) But I'd be willing to give it a try plus your awesome plus it would probably motivate me to write a good post because ALL THOSE NEW FACES WITH HIGH EXPECTATIONS *shudders* Recently, I entered a school writing competition because I don't know if I'll win, but hey, at least I have some external motivation now! Thank you for the plea, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh. Well, never a better time to start. :) (I know. That GIF is so me I can't even tell you.) The challenge would definitely be good for you! :D I look forward to what you write! And yeah, you enter that competition! :D Good luck!

      Delete
  5. Nice post! I haven't done very many guest posts in my two years as a blogger, but I've given and taken a few. If you still need people, I'm willing to give it a go! :)


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be more than happy to have you, Alexa. :) Do it!

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!