Wednesday, February 3, 2016

The Bookshelf Tag

It is February, and for the most part my life has settled down. School is back in gear, I am sleeping in my own room, all of my boxes are unpacked, and things can go back to normal.

Thus, I can finally get to a tag awarded to me in September by Liz at Out of Coffee, Out of Mind—The Bookshelf Tag! (Muchas gracias, Liz!) I don’t believe I have done this before, but if you are interested in seeing what my bookshelves looked like a year ago, then you can see the before pics from a link-up with Sunny at A Splash of Ink!

Also, I did this picture-scavenger-hunt style, so with the exception of a few stories and title lists, there will be a lot of pictures but not lots of reading.

Les R├Ęgles:


The book(s) you answer with must be from your bookshelf.
Include a picture of your bookshelf, if possible, or you could include pictures of your dream shelf.
Tag some folks, apparently.

Describe your bookshelf (or wherever it is you keep your books—it doesn’t actually have to be a shelf!)

My Favorite Bookshelf
(The white box is because I have mosaicked sample art from a nearby art school on my wall and I don't want to be sharing their work publicly on the Internet without permission.)

My Bookshelf
Harry Potter

What’s the thickest (most amount of pages) book on your shelf?

Poe
Poe Collection, 1020 pages

What’s the thinnest (least amount of pages) book on your shelf?

The Importance of Being Earnest
The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde, 54 pages

Is there a book you received as a birthday gift?

Gifts to Me
Many: Lord of the Rings (Tolkien), Olympians (O’Connor), Artemis Fowl (Colfer), 642 Things to Write About (San Francisco Writer’s Grotto), Undivided (Shusterman), Myth-o-Mania (McMullen), etc. Many people are generous to me.

What’s the smallest (height and width wise) book on your shelf?

Pocket Ancient Egypt
3.75” x 5”

What’s the biggest (height and width wise) book on your shelf?

The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Mythology
12” x ?

Is there a book from a friend on your shelf?

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

Most expensive book?

Voces de Hispanoamerica
THIS TEXTBOOK COST ME LIKE $245 DOLLARS IT WAS SO MUCH

(Also, the trash can is there for aesthetic purposes. I value Spanish. As well as the sale of old textbooks.)

The last book you read on your shelf?

Sherman's Lagoon
It is actually my dad’s book but his Sherman’s Lagoon collection is the only thing I’ve wanted to inherit since I was about nine. So they’re a future investment.

Of all the books on your shelf, which was the first you read?

Books by Carl Norac

Do you have more than one copy of a book?


Nooope.

Do you have the complete series of any book series?

Complete Series I Own
(from upper-left corner, going counterclockwise) Scarlet Trilogy (Gaughen), The Ranger’s Apprentice (Flanagan), Twilight Saga (Meyer), Artemis Fowl (Colfer), Percy Jackson and the Olympians (Riordan), The Ever-Expanding Universe Trilogy (Leicht and Neal), Cycle of Inheritance (Paolini), The 39 Clues Series (Scholastic), Elsie Dinsmore (Finley), Serenity (Realbuzz)

What’s the newest addition to your shelf?


Beloved, by Toni Morrison, but it’s for school, so I haven’t read it yet. Thus, no picture.

What book has been on your shelf FOREVER?

H.I.V.E.
The answer is always H.I.V.E.

What’s the most recently published book on your shelf?

Beyond the Red
Do you one better—Beyond the Red by Ava Jae is coming out next month and that’s like, negative publishing. I will be posting a review of it in two weeks. Also, my camera has interesting filters for darkness and motion and I decided to only take a picture of the red. Ta-da.

The oldest book on your shelf (as in, the actual copy is old)?

The Outsiders
1967.

A book you won?

Beyond the Red and Almost Super
(Beyond the Red by Ava Jae and Almost Super by Marion Jensen)

A book you’d hate to let out of your sight (aka a book you’d never let someone borrow)? 


I don’t think there is one, within reasonable bounds. You have to live within a few miles of me to be allowed to borrow.


Most beat up book?

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Ze spine. Eet ees dead.

Most pristine book?

The Innocent
Maybe it’s the color, but this book always makes me think of cleanliness. Even though it’s about assassinations.

A book from your childhood?

The Maze of Bones

A book that’s not actually your book?

Princess Bride
(My Dad’s. I stole it. Also, I stole Earnest.)

A book with a special/different cover (e.g. leather bound, soft fuzzy cover etc.)?


I have none, I believe.

A book that is your favorite color? 

Gray Books
NOW HERE IS A RIDDLE TO GUESS IF YOU CAN SING THE BELLS OF NOTRE DAME

A book that’s been on your shelf the longest that you STILL haven’t read?


Books I haven’t read don’t go on my shelves.

Any signed books?

Six of Crows, Beyond the Red, Tesla's Attic
Technically Six of Crows has a signed book plate but I put it in so nicely without any air bubbles that it honestly has to count.


TA-DA.

I am not actually a photographer so if you are and my skills offended your eyes… whelp. I had fun playing scavenger hunt in my room on a snow day.

Alyssa, Bailey, Victoria: I am curious about your shelves. Consider yourselves tagged. And if you are not among the tagged but want to display your shelves for all to see, then go for it. I’d love to see yours, too.

You know the drill! Pick two of the above questions and tell me what your answers to them would be!

20 comments :

  1. Ooh, I love your bookshelves! That Poe collection has a beautiful cover, as does Beyond the Red.

    And I'll be singing that song in my head for the rest of day. :)

    Birthday gift: Insurgent.

    Oldest book: I have a dictionary from the 1940s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those are two of my favorites!

      (It is a great song, no?)

      That's cool that you have that dictionary! I wonder how different it is compared to an updated one.

      Delete
  2. De nada. It's always fun to tag you/see your answers. And thank you for doing the tag! :D

    I really liked your idea for all the pictures and the bookish scavenger hunt. *nods approvingly*

    I'm gad you're moved back into your room now! *does happy dance for you*

    Those Percy Jackson books--they don't have very quality spines. When I read my copies, I try to read super carefully because I dislike cracking the spine, or even creasing it. *shudders* Sister says I put my books back on my shelf looking newer than when I got them. :P

    I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that your favorite color is grey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked not doing homework that day. XD

      That is true. Although to be fair I don't take very good care of my books anyway, so. Percy Jackson has been much-loved in its time, lol.

      How did you know? ;)

      Delete
  3. I like your bookshelf, Heather! I have aquired *cough* quite a few*cough* (approx 16) books for my bookshelf over the last few months, but I'm not sure if I'll take them all back to India. Anyway, most recently published: passenger, on feburary first, Thickest(not counting box set of LOTR) the Lord of the Rings. I also have one signed book, but (guilty) I haven't read it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Lord of the Rings. Those ones are excellent. And don't feel guilty if you haven't gotten to a book yet; you still have plenty of time!

      Delete
  4. It's great to see your bookshelf in more detail! I love your rule about allowing borrowing only within a few miles of yourself. I recently loaned books to my Grandma who lives a few hours away and I'm not so sure I'll ever get them back:P

    One of my most beat-up books is a copy of Pride and Prejudice that I read for class last year. I destroyed it by carrying it around everywhere, so I could get it finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... I mean you can love a person but you can't always trust them with your most trusted possessions, sometimes.

      Ooh, yeah. That's a good way to beat up a book. XD But, also an amazing way to improve your day!

      Delete
  5. Oooooh I have to read Beloved for class too (english lit major) but I haven't read it yet either.. hmm :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we shall have to discover its secrets together. :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for tagging me!! *scrambles for camera*

    YES TO ARTEMIS FOWL. (As always.) I'm always impressed with your multiple book shelves, because I believe you can never have too many bookshelves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY ARTEMIS FOWL. And thank you. I love my bookshelves.

      Delete
  7. Yay! Thanks for the tag I am way excited to do this. :D

    I'm glad your life has settled down some. It's always nice to get back into the groove of things. And YES textbooks cost so. dang. much. It is ridiculous. Also, I love your bookshelves! They are so organized and lovely to look at. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to see what you show us!

      Ugh, textbooks. WHY?? Thank you, I do like to keep them organized. Very strictly. Very much.

      Delete
  8. OOOH you have a copy of Beyond the Red! How wonderful! I've only read the eARC myself but I am excited to get my hands on a physical copy at some point. Your bookshelves are super photogenic and lovely. Loved your comment about textbooks XD XD Textbooks are waaaaay too expensive, really.

    Thank you for tagging me! I shall do it ... sometime. I shall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, it is a very lovely copy to have. The pages are very lovely and just... it is a nice book to look at. And yes, textbooks just need to calm down.

      You better.

      Delete
  9. *strokes all the pretty books and shelves and such*
    The biggest book I own is most likely Les Mis, of course. The oldest book is a pretty ancient but nice-smelling copy of Mark Twain's A Connecticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Les Mis is a monster book. And that's cool; do you know what year it is from?

      Delete
  10. This is such a cool tag! :) I love your shelves. I really need to read Six of Crows and The 39 Clues series :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes to Six of Crows, no comment on 39C. Thanks for reading, Opal!

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!