Thursday, February 25, 2016

Dinner Party: Dads and Daughters

Sometimes it’s fun to pull one of these out of a hat. My Thursentary plans went down the drain due to the three midterms/quizzes I have today. I’ll save that awesome post for a time when I can give it the attention it deserves.

Instead, it’s dinner party time!

If you aren’t familiar with my Dinner Party bit, every once in a while I decide to invite a group of fictional characters to my house for a meal. My dining room table seats twelve, so I can invite ten characters to eat with me—I am reserving two seats for myself and my father because our theme this time is adorable father/daughter duos. Yay!

via Goodreads

Brimstone and Karou (Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy by Laini Taylor)

I have only just finished Days of Blood and Starlight, so nobody spoil anything for me. I’ll try to do the same for you.

I think the phrase that makes me the most happy about these two is when Brimstone calls Karou “Daughter of My Heart.” They aren’t blood relations, by any stretch of the imagination. But they’re kin. They are family—they chose to be family. Brimstone raised Karou. He cradled her when she was shot and he lectured her about Kaz and he saved for her a hope she could only realize once grown. And in turn, Karou helped him and loved him back. And other things I can’t say because spoilers.

Still. “Daughter of My Heart.” *squee*

via Goodreads

Dr. Nero and Raven (H.I.V.E. by Mark Walden)

There are those in the H.I.V.E. fandom who ship these two romantically. I don’t. There is a level of intimacy and cuteness between these two—the villainous headmaster and the tortured assassin—but it comes from a relationship of guidance and trust. In Aftershock especially, we see that Nero was the one who salvaged Raven from the abuse she suffered in her training. He offered her kindness and a chance to start over, which allowed her to gain his trust and her freedom. Those initial foundations of trust and freedom set the framework for the unbreakable devotion and support they show for one another throughout the entire series.

And it’s all because Dr. Nero wasn’t afraid to read a murderous assassin a bedtime story.

via FanPop

Simba and Kiara (The Lion King II)

On the one hand, I love how Simba and Kiara’s relationship echo that between Mufasa and Simba in the first movie—there’s an obvious love that fosters an environment where Kiara can learn how to be a leader within her pride. Unlike Mufasa, though, Simba sees his child grow up. He sees her face danger alone. And that is terrifying for him (annoying for Kiara, though, which I get). Simba begins as his daughter’s teacher and protector; Kiara challenges him by proving she must teach and protect him someday as well. But they still love each other. It’s the best.

If you would like to relish in their adorableness, please watch “We Are One,” which is one of my favorite Disney songs of all time.

via Goodreads

Prometheus and Pandora (Pandora’s Mythic Misadventures by Carolyn Hennesy)

Though I haven’t read this series in a long time, the father/daughter relationship of the story is among the things I remember best. Pandora royally screws up—a phrase which more or less recaps the entire premise. Yes, Pandora screws up. She explodes her mom. She ruins her dad. The entire planet is doomed. Things suck. And yet, despite all that, Prometheus still does whatever he can for his daughter in his position while she saves the world. He still takes pride in her, he still pulls strings with the gods, and he still tells her story to those who need to hear it.

*sighs happily*

via Goodreads

Charlie and Bella Swan (The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer)

I include these two because they are the most realistic and most like me and my dad. They watch TV and eat food and say sarcastic things and use dry humor while hanging out. I mean, Charlie is more into sports and stuff, which is not our style, but they have the calm and quiet demeanor of people who can enjoy comfortable silences and do not feel compelled to force things between them.

Charlie and Bella would probably be the ones invited to stay late, because they would be quiet. And that would be great.


Kaboom. The cutest father/daughter duos I could think of off the top of my head. I think that deserves some high fives.

Who are some of your favorite fictional father/daughter duos?


18 comments :

  1. This post is so adorable. I honestly can't think of as many good father/daughter relationships as I can think of good father/son relationships, especially in children's books, but Bruce Wayne and Cassandra Caine from the Batman comics are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny, because I could hardly think of any father/son relationships. XD Maybe because I don't have brothers I just don't look for them. I haven't heard of Cassandra Caine, though. I shall look her up!

      Delete
  2. So, not at all a fan of Twilight, but I've got to say the relationship between Bella and her dad is pretty spot on to a lot of father/daughter relationships I've seen.

    I couldn't answer this. I'm not sure I've read anything where the father/daughter relationship wasn't completely dysfunctional. Honestly, I like the adopted family thing a lot better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I thought it was one of the better parts of the series.

      That's kind of sad. :( Although I am not entirely sure why the adoption factor would matter. Your child's your child, you know?

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad you loved DoBaS:) I love karou and Brimstones relationship. I've never seen Lion King (dangit heather, why do you always make me feel so guilty about the disney films I haven't seen?)Bella and Charlie are awesome too! I love the relationship between Taylor and her dad in Second Chance Summer, and also Mia and her dad in If I stay. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so adorable, huh? <3 <3 <3 MAYBE BECAUSE THE LION KING II IS MY FAVORITE DISNEY SEQUEL AND YOU SHOULD SEE IT I DUNNO. I haven't heard of Second Chance Summer, but still, awesome! :)

      Delete
  4. I have Daughter of Smoke and Bone on my desk waiting to be read :)
    Sadly, I can't immediately think of any father/daughter duo :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, read it! :D That is too bad, but that is okay.

      Delete
  5. OOOOH yay for Dinner Parties! I was not a huge fan of Brimstone but I gotta admit, his relationship with Karou was pretty cool. And Dr Nero and Raven sound like the perfect kind-of-dysfunctional-but-not-really father and daughter duo that I would love to read. (I should really check out HIVE at some point, since you talk about it allllll the time.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh? Ah, well. They are really cute imho, and yeah, I push it on everyone. Because I strongly push it on everyone, pretty much. Ha.

      Delete
  6. Oooh! Raven and Nero father daughter equals yasssss! I recently read the series based off of your ranting on it and was swept off my feet by its wonderfulness! In the beginning of the series I liked them as a romantic couple but as the series progressed I realized that he is more of a father to her. I was devastated when I realized there was no 9th book though D:

    -Crystal
    Attempted Motivation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, really? I'm so glad you liked it! :D <3 I am so desperately waiting for the next book... but we might not get it 'til next year. Blah. *sigh*

      Delete
  7. I finished DoBaS about an hour and a half ago, and I NEED DREAMS OF GODS AND MONSTERS so much. Isn't the ending wonderful? I liked it waaay more than daughter of smoke and bone. And I love her and brimstone's relationship so much. I've only read the first H.I.V.E book and I liked Dr. Nero's relationship with Raven (I didn't ship them though) but I didn't quite get the father-daughter vibe tbh. I also really like the Harry/Dumbeldore relationship in Harry Potter, especially in the 6th book. Dumbeldore is so awesome! I'm pretty sure I haven't watched the Lion King II, so sadly I have nothing to say about this. I really liked the dinner party idea, though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AGH IT IS SO PAINFUL THOUGH I AM SO MISERABLE. The father-daughter vibe becomes more apparent as the series progresses. As it is in many first books, the characters are sort of incongruous in the beginning with how they are in the end. But no shipping, ew. Also, Harry Potter and Dumbledore is also nice, especially in AVPM, now that I think about it.

      Delete
  8. Karou and Brimstone's relationship was definetly a highlight of Daughter of Smoke and Bone for me. I really really like when books explore familial relationships, because sometimes I get bored with all the romance relationships.

    Love the idea of this post! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Romances last fornever, but family lasts. And it is painful and adorable and everything is terrible. The end.

      Delete
  9. Omg you're so right about Charlie/Bella being quiet and great. XD I do feel like they'd be comfortably easy people to get along with?
    AND YES TO KAROU AND BRIMESTONE. They are too endlessly wonderful. Still sad tho. I AM STILL SAD.

    Oooh, my favourites...I do so love Skulduggery and Valkyrie Cain. Okay they are not a father/daughter duo, but they do have that sort of relationship. Also Luke and Clary from The Mortal Instruments! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Maybe it's because they're actually regular people and not monsters or anything, y'know? They're just people.

      I AM STILL SAD TOO AND IT IS A GRIEF THAT CAN'T BE SPOKEN

      Oooh, that's awesome! Plus, I think just acting in a father/daughter way is good enough most of the time. I haven't read Mortal Instruments yet, but I'm about to get started! :)

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!