Monday, January 4, 2016

Snizzi Snippits

Why is this post scheduled late, you may ask? Because I lived vicariously through the lives of Olivia Dunham and Beau Cullen last night and subsequently forgot that I hadn’t scheduled today’s post. Oops.

Fortunately, today’s post is easy because I am linking up with Alyssa from The Devil Orders Takeout and Emily from Loony Literate to share two snippets from my WIP.


1. a snippet from page sixteen

Trilobite turns away, sneering. It’s been over a hundred years since some of his spines broke and pierced his scales, changing his powers forever. The Guild neutralized him, taking his power, his freedom, and his sense of “enough.” His bones poke painfully through his scales—he will always stop short in his meals because he feels full long before he’s had enough nutrients. To me, this is one of the Babewyn Guild’s greatest crimes—they would let one of their own starve.  
“Hey squirt.” I kneel down to his level. “Let’s see you eat a little more, okay?” 
Trilobite eyes me warily. He knows this game. “I’m not hungry.” 
“I know,” I say. “But can’t you eat just a little more?” 
“Not hungry.” He closes his eyes. 
“Too full?” I question. “Too full for a gummy worm?” 
Oh, I’m magic all right. An eye peeks open. Then another. Then the third.  
“Give me thirty more worms,” I say. “And you can have one when we get back inside.”

Here is a character introduction for Trilobite, who I guess we can call—through no fault of his own—an anorexic dragon with no concept of quantity. And it is also character development for Lindsay (the POV character) to show that she actually knows what she’s doing and stuff.

2. a snippet of sixteen words or fewer

Even after their bodies have decayed, their final malicious acts reverberate in the air.

And for my TL;DR people, here we have fourteen words of reflection as Lindsay looks at a field of corpses, lol.


That was fun. Thanks to Alyssa and Emily for hosting!

Will you be sharing any snazzy snippets this month?


14 comments :

  1. TRILOBITE. Oh my goodness, I love him so much. *hugs the poor dragon* I mean, from that small snippet I feel invested in his life and just adlfjasdflkj.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, he is adorable. *squeezes her character* :) Thanks for reading, Liz!

      Delete
  2. I applaud your alternate spelling. And I either completely forgot or never noticed Tribolite has three eyes, huh. But he's still super cool. I can't believe you laughed at the corpse scene because I was goggling at my screen when I read that. Anyhow. Thank you for linking up with us, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I get bored of doing "Snazzy Snippet 4" so instead I make stuff up. He does have three eyes but I'm not sure if I ever actually put that fact on paper or if I just thought I did. I don't know.

      And... yeah, well, there's no context so I decided to be humorous anyway. XD

      Delete
  3. Trilodite sounds...fascinating. Bu fascinating, I mean oMG I'M IN LOVE WITH HIM. Anorexic dragon?? I love how creative you are. Definitely goals *nods* Despite the worms and all. They're excusable. The corpse scene is morbid but after it sinks in, YES I LOVE THE DARKNESS. yas. (Also what, I haven't stopped by here for ages :c It's nice to be back!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's totally one of my favorite characters. :) And, yeah, it is a morbid scene, and I enjoy it a lot. Thanks for stopping by, Nirvana! :D

      Delete
  4. Your snippets are awesome!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heather, these look so great!!! I NEED TO READ IT IMMEDIATELY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD Well, at least let me finish the draft. Thanks, Victoria!

      Delete
  6. I still love Trilobite. From the few pages I got to read last year, I think he was one of my favourite characters. And that second snippet, the imagery is gorgeous! I'm definitely going to be linking up, though not until next week at the earliest. I'm at the point in my book where I'm reading it and cringing at all the writing, so until I've actually edited something, I don't think I'll be too keen on sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah... Last year. o.O It's 2016, huh? I look forward to looking at your snippets, when you share them. :) And I can't blame you for wanting to edit. It can look kind of ugly to us writers, huh?

      Delete
  7. Poor Trilobite. It's really interesting though that the at-least-a-hundred-year-old dragon doesn't seem all wise and sage in your story. He seems like a cutie, and he kinda reminds me of Toothless from the How To Train Your Dragon books. :)


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is old. I don't know how old. As a writer I should probably know that, shouldn't I? Anyway, I'm not going to say that Trilobite doesn't have his moments of wisdom and sagacity, but for the most part, no. XD I like to keep him cute, which, I guess, Toothless is too. :)

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!