Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Greek Mythology Book Tag

You’d think I’d be less of a Greek Mythology geek since I don’t spend every waking moment thinking about it, but apparently not. Mythology still fascinates me. Being the soul that I am, I decided to make a Greek Gods book tag. BECAUSE WHY NOT. Even if there’s one out there already, I’m sure nobody does things the way Heather does things.

(Obviously the attributes I picked out are not the only things these gods are in charge of, but if we tried to do that we’d be here until 2020. So.)

ZEUS :: justice :: an unjust ending (and how you would change it)

via Goodreads
Pandora Gets Frightened by Carolyn Hennesy

In the end Hera is the bad guy and gets punished for eternity. I had a way better ending planned that involved Hera’s un-possession and redemption, and would acknowledge that Hera did not completely suck.

HERA :: women :: a depiction of the female experience

via Goodreads
Hera by George O’Connor

In the last pages, O’Connor reminds us that recorded myths are really “Greek Myths: The Dude’s Edition” and that some myths were passed from mother to daughter, about which we know little. But he gives us one that we do know of, because women should have stories, too.

POSEIDON :: earthshaker :: a book that shook your perspective

via Goodreads
The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

You have to read it, I think. It really made me think about my privilege in a new way, and how lucky I am in terms of money and education and death.

DEMETER :: fertility :: a series that promises to grow

via Goodreads
Saga by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples

I’ve read up  to the fifth volume so far and I am dying just because my heart breaks in new ways with each new addition.

ARES :: war :: a book that gave you conflicted feelings

via Goodreads
Rebels by Jill Williamson

I like this series because the writing is good and it’s an interesting story but I can’t forgive this series for sexism and racism and being generally disappointing when it comes to social themes.

ATHENA :: wisdom :: a story raising philosophical questions

via Goodreads
Cinder by Marissa Meyer

To be discussed in a later post. Okay? Okay. Just think: what is a person?

APOLLO :: healing :: a book that makes you feel better

via Goodreads
Vicious by V.E. Schwab

I read it when I had a panic attack on account of I didn’t have money for parking. But my best friend bailed me out, because she is awesome.

ARTEMIS :: animals :: a book with a carnal title

via Goodreads
Lion Heart by A.C. Gaughen

Also to do with King Richard, who I am not a big fan of, but whatever.

[Get it? Cuz it’s a play on romance and wilderness! Hahaha. Artemis would kill me.]

HEPHAESTUS :: craftsmanship :: a well-crafted story

via Goodreads
Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman

Neal Shusterman is among the best writers I’ve ever read, and Challenger Deep was so intricate and symbolic and yet easy to follow… I loved it.

APHRODITE :: love :: an epic romance

via Goodreads
Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge

IT WAS SO CUTE THOUGH. KISSING AND MARRIAGE AND LOVE AND CRAZY ENDINGS. GAH. I LOVED IT. I think I’m going to read it again…

HERMES :: thievery :: a story that stole your heart

via Goodreads
Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo

It’s funny, because it is about thieves! I really liked it, though, especially because I’m still on the tail end of my Leverage hangover. It was a lot of good characters in an interesting storyworld. I’m interested for the next book.

DIONYSUS :: ritual madness :: an unexpected ending

via Goodreads
Sophie’s World by Jostein Gaarder

It wasn’t really unexpected to me because I read it before I finished the middle but it was very weird and interesting and philosophical and it makes you go like whaaaat.

[This doesn’t seem to connect, but my connection is that Dionysus is sort of construed as divinely chaotic because of his madness (both Hera and wine induced). Being chaotic he is given charge of the unexpected and of those who don’t traditionally fit in. That’s the connection.]

HADES :: wealth :: the most valuable book you own

via Goodreads

The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

it’s not really because of the book itself (although it’s a good one), but the specific copy I have was owned by my mom and grandfather and so forth… It’s been sort of passed down through the generations, and it’s cool to own something passed down like that.

HESTIA :: home :: a book set in your homeland

via Goodreads
It’s Our Prom (So Deal with It) by Julie Ann Peters

This wasn’t actually a book I particularly liked (it just felt sort of outrageous in a lot of weird ways), but I did appreciate living in the general area where it takes place so that I knew all of the landmarks and stuff.


Well, that's the end of this very long post. But, it was fun. Plus, mythology. I knew this was a good idea.

Okay, you can pick out two Greek gods and tell me what books you’d put under their categories!

19 comments :

  1. Ahhh, VE Schwab is internet famous right now - I'm seein gher books everywhere, I really need to jump in on the badwagon. Vicious sounds fantastic though, like college students turned villains??? YES. Count me in.

    ...woah, that was deep. I'm looking forward to that post on Cinder - because damn, that made me think. ALSO CHALLENGER DEEP. yes. I have a lot of love for that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, her new book is coming out in early March, I think? But Vicious was indeed amazing. I loved that book.

      Indeed, the Cinder post shall be awesome. Thanks for reading, Nirvana!

      Delete
  2. THIS IS SUCH A NEAT TAG! My copy of The Outsiders is very valuable to me, but sadly it hasn't been passed down through generations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am glad that you like The Outsiders anyway. Maybe you can pass your copy on to your children someday.

      Delete
  3. THIS IS SUCH A NEAT TAG! My copy of The Outsiders is very valuable to me, but sadly it hasn't been passed down through generations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a cool idea for a tag! I love it. Ok, so much choices for two Gods would be:
    Apollo: The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery. I love this book to bits and can read it no matter how I'm feeling at the time. It's just so sweet and perfect!
    Hestia: Finding Freia Lockheart by Aimee Said. Which is actually quite a good depiction of life in Australia (I couldn't get much more specific than that for this).
    Can't wait to read your post on Cinder. That promises to be an interesting on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's awesome! :D I haven't heard of The Blue Castle, what's it about?

      *nods* Yeah... Kinda turns out that when there's a book that takes place where we live we may be sharing more details than we want to, right? XD

      It shall be, it shall!

      Delete
  5. Cinder made me think about that question as well! I feel like it could be something important in the future?? Challenger Deep was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, indeed. It is worth discussing, I think! I too loved Challenger Deep!

      Delete
  6. I NEED TO READ ALL THESE BOOKS. From that list, I'm pretty sure I've only read Cinder. What am I doing with my life, Heather?

    But seriously, this was a brilliant tag idea. *nods*

    For Poseidon, I would say Fahrenheit 451 because it made me appreciate and value books a thousand times more. And for Apollo, I would say The Tale of Despereaux because it made me feel safe. For Hermes, I would have to say both Imaginary Girls and Illuminae. Especially Illuminae because midway through I was only planning to give it two or three stars and then I read the ending and now I would give it all the stars of ever.

    *nods* A brilliant post, once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what you're doing with your life, Liz. But I think you need more of my opinions in it. ;)

      Ooh, yeah. Fahrenheit 451 seems like it would be a good book to do that. Also, Tales of Despereaux is so cute. :) PLUS I NEED TO READ ILLUMINAE QUITE DESPRATELY IT IS STEALING EVERYBODY'S HEART AGHHH

      Thanks so much for reading, Liz!

      Delete
  7. Awesome tag idea! Six of Crows was the best book I read this year (although that's not saying much as it's only January). Am I too late with the Cinder series? If I start now I think I'd be late to the party (not to mention I have a lot of catching up to do).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is only January, and at the risk of sounding disloyal I hope you find a better book because I would hate for you to not have a new favorite book by the end of the year. And I don't think it's too late to join the Cinder party. And even though you have a lot of catching up, all the books are out so you can speed right through them all! :D

      Delete
  8. This is super super awesome! Well done for creating a heatheresque (now, that is a good word, if I say so myself) tag! Can I steal it *doe eyes* You're lucky to have a best friend to save you, but can I ask what you were doing while looking for parking? Driving? I'm intrigued by the post about Cinder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, that is a great word. You can totally steal it, just credit my name or something. Oh, I parked in a grocery store parking lot and THEN I started reading while waiting for my friend. Don't read and drive. That's bad. And yes, so is everyone, it seems.

      Delete
  9. Wait, VICIOUS is your healing book? AHAHA THAT IS SO IRONIC CONSIDERING ELI. AHAHAHAHA. I think I'd put Vicious under the war guy (I cannot remember his name, whoops) because it's just like LOVE THEM or DON'T LOVE THEM or do both or hug Sydney and run off?!? IT'S HARD BEING A SCHWAB FAN. Love this tag, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD Yes. POSSIBLY IT IS JUST POETIC JUSTICE BUT WHO KNOWS. The war guy's name is Ares. *nods* They are very convoluted characters and it is just like *struggle struggle struggle*

      Thanks for reading, Alyssa!

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!