Friday, January 1, 2016

Goodbye 2015, Hello 2016

Happy New Year!

It is that exciting time of year when everyone share their statistics and survey results and things, and I am no more original than the next blogger. In fact, I know I’m doing things at least two other bloggers have done, so… oops.

Calendar*
Flickr Credit: Dafne Cholet

2015 In Review

How was writing, Heather? It was okay, thanks for asking.
How was reading, Heather? It was good. I haven’t totaled up my December books yet. I’ll do that in another post.
How was blogging, Heather? It was decent. These were the five most popular posts of this year:

1. Dear Extroverts (Another Response Post)
2. How Do You Write a Blog Post?
3. Reading at a Distance (A Response Post)
4. Fan Month: I Declare (Plus Giveaway)
5. GUEST POST: Five Reasons NOT to Leave Comments, with Aimee Meester

Also, these are my five favorite posts:

1. Why Christians Should Support #WeNeedDiverseBooks 
2. You Shouldn’t Care That I Love My Kindle
3. In Which PMS is Like Writer's Block
4. Bloodlines: Who’s Your Daddy?
5. Announcing Heather the Blog Designer (I still go back and giggle at the comments sometimes)

That’s all that matters, I think.

Next order of business: the survey. Thank you to everyone who submitted a response! I’m not going to say that some criticism was kind of depressing, but it’s definitely given me a better idea of what I want to do and how I plan on working over the course of the year. I plan on doing these things:

  • I’ll stick to main themes of reading, writing, and blogging. Most of you seem pretty chill with those main topics, to varying degrees.
  • I’ll explore different themes. Many of you seemed most interested in more personal posts, but I’m most interested in philosophical and feminist discussions. It’ll probably be a mix.
  • I’ll adjust WBI. I’m saving this for a further discussion next week, but about a third of responders did not want them to keep existing, so we’ll chat before I make any final decisions.
  • I’ll do my best to comment back. As you may have noticed these last few months, I’ve been falling into the ranks of the inconsistent and floundering bloggers, but I’ll do my best to keep up with you guys. Also, some of you said I’ve NEVER commented on your blog before and if you think I need a refresher on where I blog, please send me your blog’s web address again so I can come visit you!
  • I’ll try to do something with social media. I later realized I should have put that in the survey. Oops. As it is, it’s probably going to be a summer project, so I shan’t worry much.
  • I’ll work on a design change. I’m not looking forward to it at all, because I have no eye or hand for web design and it takes a million hours, but I know I have to do some cleaning up. If you know anyone who is really great at blog designs and doesn’t ask for any money, hook a sister up, okay?



Do you know any good people I should talk to about new blog designs? Any special requests for the beginning of 2016?


20 comments :

  1. Part of me wants to say "NO, CHANGE NOTHING," but I know that wouldn't be constructive. Still, I love your blog. I didn't participate in the survey, but I think you're doing a ton of things right. You're frequently blogging and very interactive, so I think you're on the right track! Thanks for being so dedicated to what you do! ♥ (Also, Happy New Year!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Changing nothing would certainly be a faster way of doing things. XD But, of course, then I wouldn't grow. Thank you for your kind words, Sky! Happy New Year to you, too!

      Delete
  2. Happy new year!
    I love how you presented your survey results. Everything was set up really nice, and it was all fun to look at. :P I'm sorry about the depressing comments you got, though. I just did a survey on my blog too and I know what you're talking about. While it's definitely good to know what your readers think so that you can use that to improve, sometimes it hurts if they are negative about something you invest a lot of time and work into. When I start to feel down about it then I think of one of my favorite quotes from Olan Rogers: "You can't make everyone happy; you are not pizza." Haha, it helps me, anyways. In the end I really think that this is YOUR blog and YOU can do whatever makes YOU happy. And I think what you do is great. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks! I'd highly recommend infogr.am, just because it's really easy to use and pretty and stuff. :) XD That's a great quote! I am not pizza. Good things to remember. Thanks, Bailey!

      Delete
  3. The response letter! I really loved that post, and, In Which PMS is Like Writer's Block :)
    Your blog always has such great content, so I'm looking forward to your 2016 posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I was so scared about the PMS one because I felt like it was edgy, but then it went over pretty well. :)

      Thanks, Opal. :) I look forward to reading on your blog, too.

      Delete
  4. I'd definitely be sad to see your WBI posts go. I mean, I'm not always familiar with each and every villain you discuss, but when I am familiar, it's always great to see your thoughts on them. And one of my strongest first memories of your blog is about a WBI post.

    I really hope your survey stuff wasn't too discouraging. I actually didn't do surveys because, while I love feedback, it's my blog in the end and I'm going to post what I feel like posting, even if it might not be good for my blogging career. And I know that there is always going to be at least one person who likes what I post. But yeah, I mean, I definitely hope you're able to take all the feedback and improve your blog (even though I love it the way it is). But even if you didn't change anything at all, I would still be a loyal reader (like, a loyal reader who takes forever to read and comment because I'm terribly busy, but loyal nonetheless).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *nods* I feel like that is the hard thing... Like, I feel like I can do villains because I'm familiar with them, but then people don't know them and it stops working. I need to come up with a better system.

      It wasn't that discouraging... Ish. I dunno. Plenty of people said nice things and that felt good, but I think negativity gets to you. I've heard it said that you need to hear seven positive things to overcome one negative thing, and maybe I didn't get that ratio, exactly.

      And I shall be a loyal reader of yours, too, even if it takes me a million years to comment back and then I don't even make half a cup of sense.

      Delete
    2. That ratio sounds about right. :P Hopefully you get tons and tons and TONS of positive feedback because you deserve it. :)

      And aww, you make plenty of sense and I always love it when you comment. :D

      Delete
    3. Haha, thanks. :)

      XD Well, the same to you. :)

      Delete
  5. *throws confetti on you* I hope 2016 is great for you, and I'm excited to see what sort of posts you have ready for us.

    No pressure or anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD You make it sound like I should have everything ready... ha...

      But right. No pressure whatsoever.

      Delete
  6. EEEP. Survey results are always interesting right?! Mine was very...interesting. xD I don't think you should stop posting anything you like to post! Honest! OH OH and you don't post to frequently. Pssht. Just sayin'. As for blog design, hmm...if I think of someone I'll let you know. *nods* I AM HORRIBLE AT IT. I get someone else to do it for me because me = useless. (I mean I scour pinterest for like ideas and then I tell my relative "do this" and babysit his kids [my nieces/nephew] and freeeeee glory.) OH. And if you're into graphicy stuff, I recommend creativemarket.com. If you sign up you get a weekly email with cool freebies. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD Aw, thanks Cait. :) And yeah, I have no eye for design, just grammatical errors. :P I have never used Pinterest for anything crafty, though... But that seems like a good way to exchange labor for cool stuff from your person. :D Also, thanks! I shall investigate.

      Delete
  7. Aw, sorry to hear that some of your feedback was depressing. I've just asked for feedback on my own blog and I'm so nervous about what my readers are going to say. I think you're doing an amazing job with your blog, and while I love it as it is, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it in 2016. I'm sure whatever direction you take it in will be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet they will say it is awesome and you are on top of it, because you are. :) And yes, 2016 is going to be an interesting blogging year...

      Delete
  8. Survey posts are always fun to read. That being said, it was weird looking back on my own selections on this survey. I disagreed with the majority a lot. Like, I really like your WBIs because it's unique and objective, right? Anyway, here's another year to blogging! Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I'm glad you like the WBIs! And overall I got about 21 responses, so you might have been in the majority after all... Math is hard. Anyway, thanks for stopping by and happy New Year!

      Delete
  9. Aw!! I love this post. I realised just now that I love recap and statistic-y posts. I never do them though. XD Good luck with your resolutions for 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're kind of fun to read, no? But they take a long time, so I cannot blame you. Thanks, Ashana!

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!