Monday, January 11, 2016

Beautiful People: Goals and Whatnot

*sighs* I wasn’t going to do this, but I should get a better idea of what I want to do with myself this year. Plus, something about public declarations just suggests that someone might get on my back if I fall off the wagon, and that could be useful.

Hence, I present to you this month’s Beautiful People, as hosted by Cait and Sky.


What were your writing achievements last year?

Well, I wrote the first draft of my inactive WIP (“I Piss on Magic,” but I dunno if that’ll stick). Also, I compiled all the beta feedback I’d received on my active WIP, Notebook Spawn, and started editing again.

Tell us about your top priority writing project for this year?

*sigh* Notebook Spawn. And IPOM. And I’d maybe like to write a first draft of something new. Maybe about a villain family or maybe about Greek Mythology. We’ll see.

List 5 areas you’d like to work the hardest to improve this year.

Writing consistently, character development, humor, writing longer, handling my emotions after critiques better.

How shall I accomplish this? No idea.

via

Are you participating in any writing challenges?

Nooooope.

What’s your critique partner/beta reader situation like and do you have plans to expand this year?

I have traded stuff with people. And they were good people. And I appreciated it. But people always talk about their beta readers like they’ve been reading work for each other for fifty years and how they are perfect for each other and in my case, we’ve only traded once… so I’ll lay off my commentary for another forty-nine years.

Although I do think that I’m going to go for CPs in June or July or August of this year so maybe I’ll try to trade with people again then. Or find new people to trade with. Depends on how everyone’s lives are going.

Do you have plans to read any writer-related books this year? Or are there specific books you want to read for research?

Nah.

Pick one character you want to get to know better, and how are you going to achieve this?

I have this character called Bai in IPOM. I feel like I don’t know her in great part because I’m not well-versed in her culture, so I feel like I’m going to have to do a lot of research about Chinese culture in the 1400s and how a princess would expect to be treated and how she might compromise in a different culture (if at all) and then sort of figure out what her place is going to be in my alternate Spain. So.

via

Do you plan to edit or query, and what’s your plan of attack?

Edit. For Notebook Spawn, rewrite according to new plotline. For IPOM, research and then just rewrite because that’s how I roll.


Toni Morrison once said, “If there’s a book that you want to read, but it hasn’t been written yet, then you must write it.”  What are the books that you want to see more of, and what “holes” do you think need filling in the literary world?

I don’t like this advice because I can’t sit down and expect to get any kind of leisure from reading my own writing. So… I dunno. I will read whatever is written.

What do you hope to have achieved by the end of 2016?

I hope to have at least three completed drafts sitting on my metaphorical desk. And maybe have had some critiques and exchanged some critiques. That would be good.

via

Thanks again to Cait and Sky for hosting. On to the hard part! Writing.

So, what are your goals for 2016?


14 comments :

  1. Good luck with all your goals! It sounds like it would be interesting/fun to research for Bai's character. :) And congratulations on last year's achievements. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am looking forward to researching Bai's character too, although I am not really sure where to start looking for that kind of information...

      Delete
  2. Wow! I applaud you on being willing to send your writing to others to read (or just making it past the first draft)! I'm a bit 'meh' about that quote as well, because I don't really like to write what I like to read.

    Good luck with all your goals this year! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's kind of scary, but it's also nice to get feedback and keep growing. :) And yeah... I am totally open to telling other people what to write, though.

      Delete
  3. These are great goals! (Also I can totally relate to the first gif... 'no idea.' Haha!) And a story about a villain family sounds very intriguing; I am excited to see what you come up with! Good luck with your WIPs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD I know. It was a great GIF. Also, yes, I do like a villain family idea... We'll see where that goes. :)

      Delete
  4. Completing three drafts is an awesome goal. ;D GO YOU. It took me forever to find a beta that stuck...hehe...I don't know if I'm a woeful writer or I just never found sticky enough betas, but yes, it can be super hard!! Good luck with your search for them too. And thaaaanks for linking up with us. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *nods* It's like, you have to find the person you want, but you also have to find someone who can reciprocate according to your needs. And I've had a few people do that, but other times they have not done so well. :/

      Delete
  5. Three completed drafts!!! That's great. (I'm struggling to have ONE completed draft) Best of luck with your goals =]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, keep doing your best! I'm sure it will be worth it for us, someday...

      Delete
  6. One, that title "I Piss On Magic." I didn't even know I needed that in my life.

    Also, a story about a villain family. That sounds quite intriguing.


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's probably one of my favorite things I've ever come up with in my life.

      And yes! Intriguing indeed. :D

      Delete
  7. Love the name Bai ;-) Love Chinese culture. Good luck with your writing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the name, too. :) Thanks so much for stopping by, Elin!

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!