|Flickr Credit: alexkerhead|
But there are things I just do not know about being a writer. They are not essential to the writing process, they are just questions I have. Are there answers? You tell me.
- Is it a good thing or a bad thing that “write a book” is one of the top twenty things people put on their bucket lists?
- Is Rick Castle actually based off of any real writers?
- If published writers aren’t supposed to read random people’s work for legal reasons but then all of one author’s CPs die in a tragic plane crash while coming to visit them, how will they get new CPs?
- How many worthy but unpublished works are sitting at the bottoms of drawers and buried on people’s computers because they are too afraid to query?
- Has anyone actually ever been arrested for their browsing history as a writer or do people just want to dramatize their writerly quirks?
- What if there is a conspiracy of evil published writers who all give bad writing advice to maintain their sales and prestige?
- How many people still think J.K. Rowling is the exception and not the rule?
- What will be the books that last into the next century?
- Does every new book you write create a new universe filled with new people who maybe don’t even feature in the book but just exist to make the world a world? IS IT MY FAULT THAT THERE MAY BE A GUY NAMED ANDRE WHO LOST HIS WIFE ENYA AND UNNAMED SON IN CHILDBIRTH YESTERDAY BECAUSE I CREATED A UNIVERSE WITH POOR HEALTHCARE LEAVING HIM TO RAISE HIS OTHER TWO CHILDREN ALONE?
- Do we all want to make our readers cry someday and if we do does that make us bad people?
- Are book preferences (by genre, etc.) linked to intelligence? Has anyone studied this?
- What if there were super good novels from back in the day that were destroyed in the burning of libraries or because someone’s mom hated words so we’ll never know of the most creative minds in history?
- Is it a worse fate for a book to be read and hated or unread and never given a second thought?
- How long is the lifespan of writers compared to normal people?
- Will people ever stop reading?
So there are fifteen questions I don’t have the answers to. Again, I don’t need them to write, but sometimes they are good questions to scare myself with.
Do you have any unanswerable questions about the writing industry? What are they?
(By the way, you can still enter a giveaway to win a critique of 10 pages of your writing! Go take a look!)