Wednesday, December 16, 2015

D.A.Y. A.N.D. N.I.G.H.T. Tag

Madam Alexa of Summer Snowflakes tagged me for the D.A.Y A.N.D. N.I.G.H.T Tag, whose title is unsurprisingly tedious to type out. Thanks, Alexa!


D: Do you read more in the morning or at night?

At night until it’s morning again. Especially during summer and the weekends I extend bedtime due to the amazing book I’m reading.

A: Are there any books that changed the way you thought about things?

Plenty. I will list three:

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld: the first book that made me question the perception of beauty in society and its biological and psychological implications

Unwind by Neal Shusterman: my latest thoughts mostly consider that even if we don’t unwind teenagers, it’s so easy to treat teenagers like they’re less than people, which is why it was so easy for me to identify with the story

The Giver by Lois Lowry: this was introduced to me in sixth grade and I still think about decisions of life and death made by people who know the value of neither

(note: to make me think you’d better write a dystopia that will steal my heart and criticizes our present society)

Y: YA or not?

I direct you to the previous question, and then say: obviously.

And, by the way, if you say no, I suggest you look at my thoughts on Unwind again.

via giphy

A: Are there any characters that you honestly believe to be real?

No. The reality filter is strong with this one, and as much as I love to analyze stories and lose myself in the plot, it is always in the knowledge that it is not real.

N: Nobody borrows my books, or I don’t mind lending them out?

Sure, I’ll lend them out. If you are of decent character, of course.

D: Do you ever smell your books?

Not on purpose. Clearly if a book is open its proximity to my face will make some smelling inevitable but I don’t stand around smelling books all day.

via rebloggy

N: Not everyone likes books. Is this a positive or a negative?

The reasons I can think of to justify the positive is that everyone has different interests and that some think e-books are better. Both reasons are irrelevant.

Guess what? Books are a source of knowledge and individual experience. They teach you. They explore different viewpoints. They challenge you. They expose you to life at its full. Reading makes you more aware of and sympathetic to other viewpoints in the world, helps you challenge your own belief, and exercise your mind emotionally and intellectually to reach new conclusions about yourself, the world, the human condition, and so forth.

There is no upside to disliking reading. If you think disliking reading is a matter of preference you suggest that deep thinking is a matter of preference. That scares me so much.


I: I keep my books in mint condition… or, maybe not. Which are you?

Maybe not. Books are meant to be read and loved, so that’s why my library looks as scruffy as it does.

G: Gosh, I have too many books! True or false?

False, at least for the time being. My general rule of thumb is that if I know that if I know a book would bring someone else pleasure when it only brings me tedium, bad memories, or indifference, then that book needs to go. But that is not a problem I have right now.

H: Have you ever spilled something on or stained your books? How so?

This isn’t really spilling or staining, but it’s the best I’ve got. I had my brand new copy of The Throne of Fire by Rick Riordan lying out. Little did I know that the pipe leading outside had broken over the winter and splashed water on it. (Worry not, I got it in the freezer in time and it was as good as new. But I didn’t have a ceiling for the next four years.)

T: Toned or untoned while reading? That is, do you read while you work out?

I don’t work out. But if I did, I wouldn’t. I work in a gym, and I have seen people try to study and work out, but there are moving parts and people in a gym—probably even more if you work out outside—so reading a book just doesn’t seem safe. I could see an audiobook being plausible, of course… But not hard copies.

via giphy

Thanks so much for the tag, Alexa! No tags this time—but I’ll do some tagging next week, okay?

Now, you tell me: Do you read more in the morning or evening? Why? Or, just tell me two of your answers in the comments!


12 comments :

  1. I tend to read more in the evening, and stay up late doing it. Great on break, not so great during the school year:) There's no way I could keep my books in mint condition, but I actually like slightly battered books better. Like you said, they feel well-loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD Me too! *hives* And yes. What is the point of a mint book except to sell it for less than you bought it for anyway?

      Delete
  2. There is no such thing as too many books! And if I could go for a run and read at the same time my life would be complete :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you know what they say about audiobooks!

      Delete
  3. My sister had a college professor who grades papers while working a weight machine at the gym--while wearing a suit. (Sorry, not hugely relevant, but the working out while reading made me think of this.) I definitely wouldn't want to work out at a gym while reading a hard copy, but I'll do sit ups while reading or walk while reading (I haven't walked outside while reading since the time I ran into a tree). Basically, if I can still hold the book and see the words and turn the pages, I will exercise while reading. If I couldn't multi-task like that, I would be in trouble because I get really drowsy when I'm just sitting and reading, and my brain gets sad without something to chew on while I'm working out, so it's kind of a nice set up.

    I'm honestly confused as to why a book lover would have too many books. Maybe this is because I'm a book hoarder, and I totally understand getting rid of unpleasant books, but seriously. By my book, the more books, the better. I always have room for more in my heart, if not on my shelves. :P

    Like you, I am frightened by the idea of people considering deep thinking to be optional. I think we have too many people who don't work their brains and don't think for themselves and it's scary to see how much damage that sort of mindset can do. Reading and really thinking about what you're reading makes you into a bigger person.

    I'm also a little frightened by the thought of people actually thinking book characters are real. I get that characters can be based on someone that is real, but they are only real to the degree that they resemble something real, like a painting of a pear is real but the painting is not a real pair. I think an inability to differentiate between fiction and reality is a little concerning, and probably dealing with that would be the only time I would advocate taking a break from reading to sort things out.

    Anyway, I loved your answers (although the thought of a scruffy library is like nails scraping on a chalk board to my soul, but whatever). I actually never knew that putting a wet book in the freezer would help, but I will have to keep that in the mind for the future in case something awful happens to my darlings. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, geez. That professor is really weird! None of the professors at my gym do that. XD. But yeah, I can understand how it's tricky to keep all of you stimulated at the same time.

      Well, if you're not actually getting any use out of them and you can't keep up, I can see how it might be time to send them to a home where they'd be better loved. And there is something to be said about shelf space.

      Oh yes. And I like what you said—reading makes you a bigger person. And that is so 1000% necessary!

      And also... yeah. Those people are occasionally scary. I feel like when people act like characters are real they start putting the glory of fictional people above their respect for real live people and that is terrible and heart-breaking to me. :(

      *scrapes her nails against a chalkboard to Liz's soul* And yes, it does help, but only if it's a non-stick freezer (which is most these days). In those freezers, they evaporate the excess moisture of things, which helps restore the conditions of books.

      Delete
  4. I read more in the evening, because in the morning I'm usually busy getting up and getting ready for whatever is happening. Your answer to whether anyone should read or not was so, so true. Maybe you could write a discussion about that? I think it'd be an interesting discussion *ponders writing discussion about such a thing*. I, too, never knew that a wet book in the freezer would work. Wouldn't the book get wet once you pull it out? or do you always read it, um, cold? I'm with you on the love books by not keeping them pristine. Your responses are very thoughtful, Heather :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. No time for reading in the mornings. That is a good idea for a discussion post, and I totally have things I could say about it. And, like I told Liz, if you put a wet book in a non-stick freezer it sucks out the excess moisture in the freezer. That way, ice doesn't collect and build up on the shelves, either! Thanks so much for reading, Shar! :D

      Delete
  5. I agree with you on the objecting-to-reading issue. I find it incredible that anyone can dislike reading. It's one thing to not be able to focus or read or listen, but to reject all books entirely? I hear that TV is the new substitute, and TV can never replace the power of words. :(

    Also, books are meant to be read--yes! A book from a booklover will probably have creases and unfolded dog-ears and scribbles. That book has more value (although not the financial kind) than a fresh book, in my opinion. Good points. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Like, TV absolutely has its advantages, but there is definitely something valuable in literature that we can't abandon.

      Yes! It is much better to own a battered book than one you've never touched. :)

      Delete
  6. I definitely agree with you about people disliking books, though I'd never thought about it quite that way: that if you think disliking reading is a matter of preference you suggest that deep thinking is a matter of preference. It's a good point, though I think that even people who do like reading don't always read into the stories that deeply (speaking from experience as I know that I don't. Not always). But reading really is so much more than just getting a good story. If you're looking close enough, and the book is any good, you can find a whole lot more.

    You're welcome, and thanks for doing the tag!


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I don't always, but especially I've gotten older I've come to realize that if you aren't thinking deeply then you aren't really reading. You're sort of just skimming across the surface. And maybe that's okay in fluffy pointless books, but otherwise... Nah. Gotta think deeply. Because, like you said, THERE IS SO MUCH MORE.

      Thanks again!

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!