Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Bedtime Book Tag

It’s been since last month since I posted a tag (actually, it’s been since last month since I posted at all, ha), and so I thought I would do the Bedtime Book Tag as given to me by Alyssa!

Do you even like book tags? I am okay with book tags sometimes. I will just do the tag because it is a little late to start having a blogistential crisis.

via

1. A book that kept you up all night.

*squints* In my experience, there is not a book that would keep me up that would take all night to read. Sure, there are long books out there—but they are never that long.

I will tell you the story of how I stayed up reading all night one night. I got sick when I was visiting my grandma out-of-state, and since I didn’t have my asthma under control I couldn’t breathe laying down. Rather than tough it out horizontally the whole night, I went to the kitchen and read Assassin by Anna Myers, Artemis Fowl: The Time Paradox by Eoin Colfer, and another book I don’t remember all night long. It was the longest night ever.

2. A book that made you scared to sleep.

TV shows have been known to give me the heebie-jeebies, books usually do not.

3. A book that made you go to sleep.

I don’t think I’ve ever fallen asleep reading.

via

4. A book that left you tossing and turning all night in anticipation of its release.

…You know, there is such a thing as patience, and I have it. I do. And you know what, even if a book is released there is a chance I cannot buy it or it is not coming for a few weeks and if so, too bad for me. I just have to wait.

I was very excited when Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo came out, though. Not can’t-sleep excited, but excited.

5. A book that has your dream ship

I am not much of a shipper, but I have to admit that Scarlet and Wolf from The Lunar Chronicles are too cute not to die over.

via

6. A book that would be your worst nightmare to live in.

The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood. Women are reduced to the usefulness of their bodies in producing children, women are not allowed to read or write, women get sent to clean up toxic waste and die as soon as they become infertile, white men rule the world.

And not that this world is perfect but that one is a Heather’s-personal-hell sandwiched between eternal punishment and death to mankind.

7. A book that reminds you of nighttime.

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz, because Ari has a lot of nighttime reflections, and that is kind of significant, even if he is also a stupid teenage boy sometimes. (Like seriously, what kind of people dance naked in the rain? They will get pneumonia! And cold!)

8. A book that had a nightmarish cliffhanger.

A Stranger Thing by Martin Leicht and Isla Neal. It’s the second book in the series and I feel like I can’t spoil it for you guys, but it’s the kind of cliffhanger that becomes the incredibly stressful problem of the third book, and has made me conclude there are some things new mothers should never ever have to go through. Ever.

via

9. A book you actually dreamt about.

I’ve dreamt about H.I.V.E. by Mark Walden, where I was on a mission with Dr. Nero and we invaded a shopping mall with grapplers—which is dumb, because we could have just used the doors, but whatever.

10. A book monster you wouldn't want to find under your bed.

All of them? I don’t want anything under my bed. I can’t think of any one monster in particular, but I will say that no creature without a rational mind has every bothered me as a literary monster so much as the human monsters who have a sense of rationality and the depravity to enjoy suffering.

Vampires. Judge Claude Frollo. Fenrir Greyback. Fangs of Dang. Opal Koboi. Echidna. Dragons. None of those things I want under my bed.

via
Now it is time for me to go to bed. Sleep tight. Don’t let the book bugs bite.

Answer me two of the questions—what are some of your bedtime book habits?


17 comments :

  1. A book that kept me up all night:
    The Author's Blood, book 5 in the Sword of the Wormling Series. Not quite all night, but like 3 AM. I read book 4 and 5 back to back.

    A Book that made you scared to sleep:
    Oddly enough, Inheritance, by Christopher Paolini. Not a very scary book, but I was up until 1 in the morning reading it and wanted to stop in the middle of a rather gruesome and dark sequence. I then tried to sleep and couldn't. So then I was up until 3 until I found out what happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that sounds intense! What are they about?

      Oh? That's interesting. I didn't find it scary, but I do think that Paolini is very good with creating tension, and so I was very much interested in pushing on through to keep finding things out! Aw, I love that book... Thanks for reading, RM!

      Delete
  2. Now you have me thinking about Fenrir Greyback being under my bed and I do not like it. Bad Heather.

    (In other news, I have never fallen asleep reading a book either, and neither have I stayed up all night reading one. The ones I stay up late reading are usually the new 39 Clues release so I can get them over with.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hush you.

      (I still don't understand why you do that. IS IT NOT ENOUGH SUFFERING JUST TO KNOW THEY EXIST? I can't even bear the thought. Nope. Not even talking to you anymore.)

      Delete
  3. I definitely wouldn't want to find Opal Koboi under my bed. (But wherever she is, Artemis Fowl usually isn't too far behind, so...)
    I stayed up until about 3 a.m. reading Entwined by Heather Dixon. It's a wonderful book, but I think half the reason it kept me up so late was because it's seriously creepy, especially on the first read through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's to not being on Opal's hit list, huh?

      Ooh, that's cool. Creepy things are good, although sometimes I don't like them at night. Sounds like a cool experience for you, though!

      Delete
  4. I've never stayed up all night reading, although if I am sick I may read for a few hours in the middle of the night, and even that feels pretty long. :( But I have stayed up an hour or so later than I had intended to on a couple of occasions, and by that, I literally mean twice--once with The Host and once with The Phantom of the Opera. I'm not sure why those specifically grabbed me when others of similar caliber have not, but oh well, we're just going to go with it.

    Like, I actually don't get so uber excited about released books that I lose sleep. The most excitement that I feel is when I order the books and then when I know they should be arriving any day now. But since I can't always get books right off the bat (like with Winter, which I will probably only get after Christmas), I've learned to turn off the impatience and focus on other things.

    Also, just because I want to answer this question as well, I think 1984 would be the most nightmarish world for me, but maybe there's another worse one that I'm just not thinking of at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, who can tell with books? Some grab your heart and some grab your throat and then you just have to keep carrying on. I sometimes read in the night when I am sick, but I also sometimes read in the night when I am not. I am a night owl.

      Me neither. :P I HATE WHEN PACKAGES COME LATE THOUGH. Like, that is some kind of way to have a crisis. But yeah, to survive you gotta distract yourself. :P

      Ooh, yeah, I haven't read 1984 so I didn't think of it but I know the vibe. Such bad vibes.

      Delete
  5. I have had lots of dreams about books, including Red Queen, The FitzOsbornes in exile and World War Z. Bot h times I've read zombie books I've gotten nightmares, so I don't think they're my thing, and it certainly stops me from sleeping . Scarlet and Wolf are so so so cute- they're sort of my OTP (but have three of those, so it's like a ttp I guess). I've stayed up very late reading before, and those books always remind me of nightime. Winter by Marissa Meyer is quite a nightimish book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's really cool, although not the zombie ones. :( Sorry 'bout that. I KNOW RIGHT LIKE SCARLET AND WOLF JUST KISS AND HAVE BABIES KTHXBAI. I am reading Winter right now and I think it is nighttimish, too. :)

      Delete
  6. OKAY. So I am terribly late but thank you very much for doing this tag! A+ gif usage, seriously. And I've read quite a few Atwood quotes/poetry on Tumblr, so I think I may just check A Handmaid's Tale out. I also might pick up Six of Crows, because it seems quite up my alley ... but we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you think you're late. JUST LOOK AT ME. And I would be curious to see what you think of Margaret Atwood—I could totally see you doing her work for an ATTAC post with the others. And also Six of Crows. I like Six of Crows. I can see you liking Six of Crows.

      Delete
  7. LOL, awesome tag! And YES about that ship! It's weird because I normally wouldn't like a couple that fell in love so quickly, but it just worked so fantastically perfectly for Scarlet and Wolf's story, and I love it <3


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I tagged you for another book tag. So I suppose my answer would be that I love to see you do book tags. Don't feel obligated if you don't want to, but here is the thing: http://thessalexa.blogspot.com/2015/12/tag-week-day-and-night-book-tag.html

      Delete
    2. Right? Like, I'm 23% annoyed with the other couples just because they all just met basically and I'm like "KAI AND CINDER YOU LITERALLY CANNOT HAVE A RELATIONSHIP BASED OFF OF KISSING AND MECHANICS YOU NEED TO HAVE A SIT DOWN CHAT ABOUT YOUR LIVES" but whatever, I'm not in charge. I'm just the reader, who cares about me? But still. Love Wolf and Scarlet.

      And thank you! I shall get to it as soon as possible. :D

      Delete
  8. Opal Koboi under your bed is utterly terrifying. *shivers* And scarlet and wolf are soooo cute (have you read Winter? It is the. best. thing. You need it in your life. We could have read A Handmaid's tale for english work over a break once, but I didn't. It sounds really good though, so *checks audiobook out of library*. I've had dreams about desperate hunts for notebooks (it was complicated. Trust me)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, right? No one wants Opal under the bed. She'll just make you her slave and order you not to fart. I AM READING WINTER RIGHT NOW IT IS SO GREAT. I did like A Handmaid's Tale, and I'm interested to see what you think! (And that does sound complicated.)

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!