Monday, November 30, 2015

In Which I Do Not Know Everything

When it comes to being a writer there is a lot of it that you can learn online. I mean, first, you read a lot, then you write a lot, and then there are a million people who can give you tips and tricks to edit your babies. Then, when you’re ready, you can find CPs, betas, and agents to query. In fact, you can look up and practice how to write query letters (which is an important skill, btw) and then tell all your writer friends about it on Twitter.

Writer's Block
Flickr Credit: alexkerhead

But there are things I just do not know about being a writer. They are not essential to the writing process, they are just questions I have. Are there answers? You tell me.

  1. Is it a good thing or a bad thing that “write a book” is one of the top twenty things people put on their bucket lists?
  2. Is Rick Castle actually based off of any real writers? 
  3. If published writers aren’t supposed to read random people’s work for legal reasons but then all of one author’s CPs die in a tragic plane crash while coming to visit them, how will they get new CPs?
  4. How many worthy but unpublished works are sitting at the bottoms of drawers and buried on people’s computers because they are too afraid to query?
  5. Has anyone actually ever been arrested for their browsing history as a writer or do people just want to dramatize their writerly quirks?
  6. What if there is a conspiracy of evil published writers who all give bad writing advice to maintain their sales and prestige?
  7. How many people still think J.K. Rowling is the exception and not the rule?
  8. What will be the books that last into the next century?
  9. Does every new book you write create a new universe filled with new people who maybe don’t even feature in the book but just exist to make the world a world? IS IT MY FAULT THAT THERE MAY BE A GUY NAMED ANDRE WHO LOST HIS WIFE ENYA AND UNNAMED SON IN CHILDBIRTH YESTERDAY BECAUSE I CREATED A UNIVERSE WITH POOR HEALTHCARE LEAVING HIM TO RAISE HIS OTHER TWO CHILDREN ALONE?
  10. Do we all want to make our readers cry someday and if we do does that make us bad people?
  11. Are book preferences (by genre, etc.) linked to intelligence? Has anyone studied this?
  12. What if there were super good novels from back in the day that were destroyed in the burning of libraries or because someone’s mom hated words so we’ll never know of the most creative minds in history?
  13. Is it a worse fate for a book to be read and hated or unread and never given a second thought?
  14. How long is the lifespan of writers compared to normal people?
  15. Will people ever stop reading?

So there are fifteen questions I don’t have the answers to. Again, I don’t need them to write, but sometimes they are good questions to scare myself with.

Do you have any unanswerable questions about the writing industry? What are they?


(By the way, you can still enter a giveaway to win a critique of 10 pages of your writing! Go take a look!)

13 comments :

  1. Wow, these are fantastic questions, lol. I've only actually considered 4, 5, 8, 9, and 10, and unfortunately, I too have no definite answers. I do however have a theory about #9: writers don't create new worlds (if we did our characters would actually do what we tell them). We just have a unique ability to tap into the other worlds, hear about what's happening there, and then write it down so people in our world can hear about. So no, according to my theory, Andre is not your fault. But maybe in his world, he's writing about a girl named Heather who posts on a blog called Sometimes I'm a Story. *shrugs* It could totally happen.

    Me and my friends once wondered if we were all just characters in someone's contemporary story, and then if we were, who would people ship us with. I do still wonder...


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is that the case? I mean, God created our world and no one ever does what He wants. ;) But, if that is the case, at least it is not my fault that Andre is in his time of suffering, eh?

      Dude, people even ship people in the real world. It's all messed up. :P

      Delete
    2. Haha, that is true. I still stand by my theory, lol, but you make a good point.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I really like the idea behind number 9. Has anyone ever written a book on that premise? I like your idea, too, Alexa!

    No idea about the answer to any of those questions. I have also wondered about Rick Castle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, but if not, perhaps they will!

      And yeah. Because all the writers I know like cats and spend time on the Internet and stuff, not make out with models hired for their book deals.

      Delete
  3. I'm entirely definitely sure #5 is because writers are dramatic. All the screaming and howling we do? DRAMA. It's like our fuel *nods* And yes we are also evil because we like to make people cry. Don't you drink the tears of your readers for breakfast? I munch on destroyed feels for brunch. WHICH RHYMES WHICH MAKES ME AN EPIC WRITER. #legit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true. Who needs energy drinks when you have DRAMA? I'm more of a fan for damaged hearts, now taht you mention it. AND YOU ARE AN EPIC WRITER.

      Delete
  4. *blinks* Well these are the best questions ever and no, it's okay, I didn't sleep anyway so it doesn't matter if I worry about these ALL NIGHT EVERY NIGHT. But yes, there is a secret society of writers giving really bad advice. I know this, because I'm totally the leader of the group, but you didn't hear that from me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I will tell no one, because I am the best of secret keepers and so is the Internet. Can I join? Because I have so much bad advice to give.

      Delete
  5. Chuckling over #2 because I just started watching Castle and the writer moments make me laugh 'cause I totally feel the feel a lot of the time. And as for #9...there's this movie out there called Stranger Than Fiction and it basically deals with that and it's a gloriously hilarious writerly movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Although the actual writing stuff, and not models who are interested in you because of your book deal or anything. That's not my life. And that's interesting! I must check it out. :D

      Delete
  6. These are awesome :) I especially love #9 because I think it's probably true. Granted, they may not show up in the actual book but if you "explored" enough I'm sure they would. *shrugs* It's an interesting question.

    And yes, I'd LOVE to know if someone's actually gotten arrested for their browser history. If you were accused of a crime for some reason and they checked your history and you were a horror or crime writer or something... That could get interesting. I doubt it, but hey. I like to imagine it's true, even if that makes me a bad person.

    And #4. That would be a super cool answer to know. I don't remember who it was, but there was this author who wrote a lot during her life but never published anything. When she died, her will said for all her writing to be burned without being read. Her sister (I think??) burned some of it but read some of it too, and she ended up publishing it and it's super famous now. Of course, I can't remember her name for the life of me.

    Anyways. These are awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of like Fringe. If you go into the redverse enough you'll find people there you'd never meet here!

      Oh, I think that can happen, but they need a warrant. Or, at the very least, if you get arrested the public library—the head, not any of the employees—must get a warrant because your library history is yours and yours alone.

      Huh, that's an interesting story. The one I know is that there was this frustrated writer who got rejected so many times he threw his novel in the trash (and this was in typewriter times so you can tell he was super fed up) and then his wife went and got it from the trash and submitted it and he got published and it was Stephen King. Que story, eh?

      Thanks for reading, Victoria!

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!