Friday, October 23, 2015

Quote Challenge: Week 3

This is the third week, you know the drill. I'm actually a little rushed for time this week, so no tags, no requirements. Just a quote and my love of it.

via christinahendricksdaily
"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
–Mal Reynolds, "Our Mrs. Reynolds," Firefly

If you don't know the show Firefly this may seem ever-so-slightly random, and violent. But let me give you some context (and no spoilers, because the reveal on this episode is fun).

Our daring Captain Mal has wound up accidentally married to a girl from the town they just rescued, traded as payment for their service. This doesn't sit well with Mal, who didn't really plan on getting married (have you ever been to a surprise wedding?) and doesn't really want this girl that much and is having trouble expressing that fact delicately.

The girl, Saffron, certainly is hurt and ashamed to be caught in this awkward situation, and she asks Mal if she will be killed because she is so displeasing. Mal is appalled—what kind of awful planet would do something like that? He tells her that she shouldn't stand for that sort of thing and, essentially, that she shouldn't let herself be killed.

This is probably my favorite Firefly episode (maybe; it's hard to choose) and part of the reason I love it so is how much it speaks to Mal's character. One of his highest values is the equal personhood of every human being he meets. He only kills in fair fights. He doesn't let his Ambassador get dishonored as the equivalent to property. And he doesn't let his accidental wife think that she is less valuable than any other person in the 'verse even if he doesn't want to be married to her.

I think this quote is not so much about killing (beyond... like, the surface part of it) but is really about empowerment. If someone pushes you around, stand up for yourself. Push back. Talk back. Fight. Because you have a right to a voice and a fair fight no matter who you are or where you're from or what your social status is. You're a person, and people inherently have a significance that warrants a kind of treatment non-persons like Reavers or rocks don't get.

You're important enough that you have the right to fight for yourself. How cool is that?

I just love this quote. So much, that I copied it down on a pink piece of paper in cursive and stuck it in my jewelry box in the place where sentimental photos are supposed to go. But don't worry, this quote is better.

FINALLY. I HAVE FINISHED THIS TAG. It was kind of painful. Next Friday, look forward to something villainous. Or bloginous. I don't know yet.

Do you have any funny and deep quotes to share with me?

9 comments :

  1. Great quote! I like the reasoning behind it, too! I've only watched the first episode of Firefly, though. It's sorta painful for me because I don't want to get into it. Because it ends way before it's due and I know I'll get upset (I mean, you should've saw me when Veronica Mars ended). I may just have to suck it up and watch it though.

    I don't know if I have any good quotes off the top of my head, sorry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you're going to get into it and you're going to be mad, but there is a movie and graphic novels that help round out the story, so I hope you can enjoy it, anyway! :)

      Delete
  2. This is an awesome, awesome post, Heather. And even though you didn't have much time in getting it together, it's got so much genuine passion and love for this quote/series/idea and that really struck me. I don't remember loving this episode outstandingly, myself- I found the character of Saffron to be incredibly annoying, although her changing sides was pretty awesome, the the effect it had on the underestimating Mal. But I was so invested in this show. Whenever I see a gif or post about it, I desperately want to rewatch it!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm glad it did. Saffron really bugged me at first, too (like, Mal shoulda killed her, forrealz) but in the end, I think it created a scenario that allowed for a lot of characterization and fun! :) I totally want to rewatch it too, though! Thanks for your comment, Romi!

      Delete
  3. Ah, I LOVE THIS QUOTE SO MUCH. While I don't think this one is my favorite episode (because I really like the Jaynestown one even more), I really really loved what Joss did with it. I love how Malcom tries to get her to stop being so meek and spineless, and in the deleted scenes he gets after her for being afraid to ask for food. *hugs quote*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing post dear! You have a wonderful blog:)
    What about following each other on Instagram, Bloglovin, Twitter?:)

    www.bloglovin.com/blog/3880191

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Irene, and thanks for stopping by! I'll look into it. ;)

      Delete
  5. I haven't seen Firefly yet, but the more I hear, the more I feel like I need to! This is a nice quote and, for the same reasons you mentioned, I love the meaning behind it. The idea that /you are a person/ and as such you have certain rights that you shouldn't let anyone take away.


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. YOU DO. I think you'd like it. :) Mal is such a good character, and so this quote is very special. Yes.

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!