Monday, October 19, 2015

A Writer's Life for Me Tag

Yo ho, yo ho, a writer’s life for me… Ahoy there me hearties! (This is the part where you say, “Ahoy there Captain Heathersword!”) Captain Opal of the mighty ship Opal Swirls has put the Writer’s Life for Me tag on deck for today.


via Knowledge Skill Gear

The Code: 

  • Hoist the colors for all to see
  • Thank the scallywag what tagged you (Thanks, Captain Opal!)
  • Answer the ten questions in the ship’s log
  • Tag 5-10 other gentlemen (or gentlewomen) o’ fortune

via Giphy

1. What kind of writer be ye?

I BE A PIRATE WRITER, YO HO HO.

I haven’t yet been findin’ me sea legs in the sweet trade, but I’ve been experie—experi—tryin’ out science fiction and fantastical creations under the YA jack. I enjoy discussing government and power struggles in partic’lar.

via popsugar

2. When did ye start writin’? What made ye want to give it a go?

‘Twas in me eighth year of learnin’ English. Me teacher gave us a log to scrawl upon. I didn’t try to write me first novel until me ninth year, which was 35,000 words—an addled attempt, but a start.

via gifsoup

3. What inspires ye stories?

Myths n’ legends, the world before me very eyes, an’ on rare occasion, a trip to the shower in me bilge. Also, them movin’ pictures.

via theblackpearl-directory

4. What themes do ye like to explore in ye writin’?

Them blasted governments, them scallywags or villains, them lasses, and them lonelies. Also, the true loyal buccaneers.

via Gifs Gallery

5. Be ye a pantster or a plotter or a wee bit o’ both?

A wee bit o’ both. As a sprog I tried me luck plotting out every small silly detail, and that helped me NONE. Pantsing is a good way to lose all yer booty. So I be writin’ rough outlines I pants through.

via Giphy

6. Whar be ye at in ye journey? Queryin’, agented, published?

I be nowhere, I guess—me journey hasn’t taken me to them waters yet.

via PicGifs

7. Have ye ever entered any writin’ contests? Finaled? Won?

In me tenth year o’ learnin’ one of me sci-fi stories won second place as judged by the school marms. Won me a swaggy o’ $50, too.

via Bandolero by Day

8. Who be ye writer heroes?

Thar be a good many writers who’ve gone on the accounts, but more’n any, the bounteous captains I’ve had fortune to meet on the good seas of Blogging and Twitter, among which I count Captain Alyssa, Captain Imogen, Captain Victoria, and Captain Mariella. Arrr!

via ocdpiratesofthecarribbean

9. Have ye be to a writin’ conference? Share ye best or worst conference experience.

*hides in pirate ship and refuses to come out because she’ll land in Fiddler’s Green before even considering immolation-by-writin’-conference*

via wifflegif

10. Top 3 tips ye'd gift to landlubbin’ newbie writers?

Ally yourself. Plenty a lily-livered son o’ a biscuit eater has tried to rough it alone; but writin’ is not only more rewarding in a fleet, but it’ll help ye hone yer writin’ skills.

Stay true. It’s more’n easy to send a tricky hard WIP to Davy Jones’ Locker, but that’ll get ye nowhere in the long run. Work hard. Be persistent. Make sail for that horizon.

Be a pirate. There are no downsides.

via Veggie Tales
By the powers! It be hard to write pirate-y talk so long. Thanks to Yarr an’ Talk Like a Pirate for helpin’ me find them sea-farin’ words. Last but not least, I be to tag a piece o’ eight of me writin’ mateys to do the tag* on their own ships! Avast, me hearties!


*by the by, ye shan’t be expected to be a pirate yourself on your own ship if ye don’t want; see Opal's log to get the tag in plain speak

Ahoy there! You good captains may have somethin’ to be said for yer own writing—answer me two of the questions, and I’ll not nail your tongue to me mast. Arrrgh!


26 comments :

  1. I love writing tags to begin with, but this was ten times more fun in pirate speak! I loved all your gifs AND OH MY GOSH WHAT DO YOU THINK OF TREASURE PLANET IT'S MY FAVORITE DISNEY MOVIE OF ALL TIME...anyway, thanks for tagging me, and thanks for such an awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I had a good time getting to be a pirate for a post. :D AND YES I LOVE TREASURE PLANET I WROTE A WHOLE 39 CLUES/TREASURE PLANET FAN FICTION BECAUSE I LOVED IT SO MUCH. I can't wait to read your answers!

      Delete
  2. Oh, this was ridiculously fun and fabulous, Captain Heathersword! when I was six, I had a poem I wrote comparing frost to toothpaste published in a newspaper. And I once wona writing prize at school, I'm quite proud of that. I like exploring themes of identity, belonging, ethics, governments and people, friendship, and travel (is travel a theme? whatever) Anyhow, I really enjoyed this post. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Captain Shanti! That's awesome! (Though, for a sec I thought that there was toothpaste in a newspaper being compared to frost, and I was confused.) Those are some awesome themes, especially government and ethics; I love those, too!

      Delete
  3. *dies laughing* I can't, I just can't. I have nothing to say. I'm just going to huddle in a corner and try to figure out how you manage to be so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *flourishes feathered cap* Thanks, Captain Liz. :D

      Delete
  4. Omg, this was wonderful and perfect. I would like to put my comment in pirate speak except...I HAVE NO IDEA HOW. So I'll just say arrrrr. Because I can. And confirm that there are no downsides to being a pirate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Click the links! They are great. Or you could just say Arrrr. But yes, no downsides! Hoist the colors!

      Delete
  5. LOL, this post was AMAZING!! I literally laughed out loud as I read. Just so great. :D

    Also, thanks so much for tagging me! I would answer 2 questions now, but I shall have to answer them all when I do my version of the tag. So please don't nail my tongue to the mast, lol, because I /will/ do the questions eventually.


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I'm glad you did! :)

      Well then, I look forward to reading your answers soon! :D Fair seas!

      Delete
  6. The Wiggles and Pirates of the Caribbean in one salty flavoured post? Captain Heathersword, you are an ultimate genius. Also, I am so honoured to have been listed as one of fellow bloggery writers. I shall indeed take up this nautical challenge (though mine shan't be piratical and awesome like this post). Still giggling over here. Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Thanks you, Captain Imogen, although I must confess I was a little put out by the fact that I couldn't find any Captain Feathersword GIFs. *sigh* Anyway, I look forward to looking forward to your post soon! :D

      Delete
  7. Your pirate-speak is...impressive. I don't think I can do that but I can certainly attempt the tag. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It took a long time. Still, I look forward to reading your answers!

      Delete
  8. Captain Opal! I like :) Can I just say THIS IS THE BEST POST EVER. I was just laughing the whole way through :"D

    Thanks for doing the tag! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS. I had a lot of fun writing it. And of course you shall be a Captain! All we bloggers are, no?

      Delete
  9. hahaha Yes to this. So much. Thank you, captain heather sword. This was funny! And interesting! (*note to self: don't send half finished stories to Davy Jone's locker*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Captain Shar. (**note to Shar: don't set sail without a heading, either)

      Delete
  10. If I had the time and the talent I would be replying in pirate speak, but no, so I shall just thank you profusely for making me a captain. Aye. (That's basically as much as I can do! I'm sorry!) These were fantastic answers, and even more fantastic gifs. It's funny, though, that you say your theme is government, because in the WIP I beta'd for you there was a shocking lack of actual government and police and way too much of a cult-ish authority. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't have that much time or spontaneous talent, either. XD That's okay, though! But hey, I said that it was just a theme, I said nothing as to whether I was good at it or not. XD

      Delete
  11. Oh gosh... this is the best. I thoroughly enjoyed the Robbie Rotten and Captain Hook GIFs.

    And I should not like for you to nail my tongue to the mast.. So as for what inspires my writing, ANYTHING AT ALL. Movies, books, random ideas-- but my current WIP was inspired by me at (approximately) age eight pretending I was sent to another world to save it. So.
    And I've entered writing contests before, but never won any... but I've had 3 short stories published in a magazine, if that counts. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eet is the best, no? :D :D

      Well, fine, but only because you answered the questions. Being inspired by anything and everything is totally the best, and congrats on getting published in the magazines! :D

      Delete
  12. Oh my gosh. This was PERFECT. Me be salutin' you, Captain Heathersword. Aye, aye! (Shhh...I know that was a very failed attempt at pirate speak. I will never manage to be as good at speaking like a pirate as you.) And because it would be decidedly unpleasant to have my tongue nailed to the mast of a pirate ship *shivers*, I will definitely do this tag. Thanks for tagging me. Also, I think finding writing buddies is such good advice. I don't think any writer can truly realize how impactful and inspiring a writing community can be to his/her work until that writer finds that community.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a fair hand to you as well, Captain Ana! (Worry not; I were usin' a great large number of glossaries, too.) I look forward to reading your answers when you get around to the tag, and I agree! A writing community is among one of the most important things you can have. :)

      Delete
  13. YES I AM A CAPTAIN!!!! *coughs and returns to reality* The awesome piratey awesomeness of this post is awesome. Thanks for tagging me! I would like to take my huge pirate hat off (the one with the giant feather) and approve of your mix of plotting/pantsing. I think less insanity happens that way.

    And I suck at pirate talk, so I will simply quote and say drink up my hearties, yo ho!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are all captains! :D *returns feathered cap bow with flourish* I agree; plantsing works best for me!

      AND REALLY BAD EGGS!

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!