|via Knowledge Skill Gear|
- Hoist the colors for all to see
- Thank the scallywag what tagged you (Thanks, Captain Opal!)
- Answer the ten questions in the ship’s log
- Tag 5-10 other gentlemen (or gentlewomen) o’ fortune
1. What kind of writer be ye?I BE A PIRATE WRITER, YO HO HO.
I haven’t yet been findin’ me sea legs in the sweet trade, but I’ve been experie—experi—tryin’ out science fiction and fantastical creations under the YA jack. I enjoy discussing government and power struggles in partic’lar.
2. When did ye start writin’? What made ye want to give it a go?‘Twas in me eighth year of learnin’ English. Me teacher gave us a log to scrawl upon. I didn’t try to write me first novel until me ninth year, which was 35,000 words—an addled attempt, but a start.
3. What inspires ye stories?Myths n’ legends, the world before me very eyes, an’ on rare occasion, a trip to the shower in me bilge. Also, them movin’ pictures.
4. What themes do ye like to explore in ye writin’?Them blasted governments, them scallywags or villains, them lasses, and them lonelies. Also, the true loyal buccaneers.
|via Gifs Gallery|
5. Be ye a pantster or a plotter or a wee bit o’ both?A wee bit o’ both. As a sprog I tried me luck plotting out every small silly detail, and that helped me NONE. Pantsing is a good way to lose all yer booty. So I be writin’ rough outlines I pants through.
6. Whar be ye at in ye journey? Queryin’, agented, published?I be nowhere, I guess—me journey hasn’t taken me to them waters yet.
7. Have ye ever entered any writin’ contests? Finaled? Won?In me tenth year o’ learnin’ one of me sci-fi stories won second place as judged by the school marms. Won me a swaggy o’ $50, too.
|via Bandolero by Day|
8. Who be ye writer heroes?Thar be a good many writers who’ve gone on the accounts, but more’n any, the bounteous captains I’ve had fortune to meet on the good seas of Blogging and Twitter, among which I count Captain Alyssa, Captain Imogen, Captain Victoria, and Captain Mariella. Arrr!
9. Have ye be to a writin’ conference? Share ye best or worst conference experience.*hides in pirate ship and refuses to come out because she’ll land in Fiddler’s Green before even considering immolation-by-writin’-conference*
10. Top 3 tips ye'd gift to landlubbin’ newbie writers?Ally yourself. Plenty a lily-livered son o’ a biscuit eater has tried to rough it alone; but writin’ is not only more rewarding in a fleet, but it’ll help ye hone yer writin’ skills.
Stay true. It’s more’n easy to send a tricky hard WIP to Davy Jones’ Locker, but that’ll get ye nowhere in the long run. Work hard. Be persistent. Make sail for that horizon.
Be a pirate. There are no downsides.
|via Veggie Tales|
Captain Katie Grace | Captain Alexa | Captain Victoria | Captain Alea Harper | Captain Aimee | Captain Alex | Captain Ana | Captain Imogen
*by the by, ye shan’t be expected to be a pirate yourself on your own ship if ye don’t want; see Opal's log to get the tag in plain speak