Wednesday, September 30, 2015

Quote Challenge: Week 1

Okie day. Madame Mariella tagged me for this about two million years ago and I'm only getting to it now. Mostly because it's exactly the sort of easy tag I was saving for a busy week.

So, las reglas:

  • Post your 3 favorite quotes, one each for three consecutive days. [NO.]
  • With each post nominate three bloggers for the challenge. [MAYBE.]
  • Recognize the blogger who nominated you. [OKAY.]
via titledesignproject
"When King Lear dies in Act V, do you know what Shakespeare has written? He's written 'He dies.' That's all, nothing more. No fanfare, no metaphor, no brilliant final words. The culmination of the most influential work of dramatic literature is 'He dies.' It takes Shakespeare, a genius, to come up with 'He dies.' And yet every time I read those two words, I find myself overwhelmed with dysphoria. And I know it's only natural to be sad, but not because of the words 'He dies.' but because of the life we saw prior to the words. I've lived all five of my acts, Mahoney, and I am not asking you to be happy that I must go. I'm only asking that you turn the page, continue reading... and let the next story begin. And if anyone asks what became of me, you relate my life in all its wonder, and end it with a simple and modest 'He died.'" 
"I love you." 
"I love you, too." 
"Your life is an occasion. Rise to it."

–Mr. Magorium and Molly Mahoney, Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium (source)

AUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I LOVE THIS QUOTE! I literally transcribed it by hand the first time I watched the movie just because it was so important.

If you have never watched Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium (and you should), it's all about finding meaning and joy in life despite discouragement and death, as told through the story of a toy store and its people.

Mr. Magorium is the kind of beautiful soul that is childlike without being childish, and so when we see him take pleasure in popping bubble wrap or dancing or playing with the kids who enter his toy shop, he projects a kind of innocence. Like he doesn't get that life is hard. Like he doesn't get that death is serious business.

And when Mahoney tells him he can't die, that he has to live, he assures her, "My dear, I have." And this is the culmination of that sentiment. Because Mr. Magorium does get it. He knows death, intimately. But even in the face of death, that is no excuse to abandon a fruitful, wonderful life filled to the brim with laughter and all the oddities you can imagine.

So basically Mr. Magorium is one of my favorite characters. And this whole movie is amazing. It restores my gumption. And I bought it for two dollars over the summer so I may delight in it whenever I wish.

And I guess I have to tag people now.


That's all for this week. What do you think of my quote? What is one of your favorite quotes?

16 comments :

  1. Mr M's WE is such a brilliant movie. I remember watching it when I was really young and just remembering that scene where he has reached his last pair of shoes. Also the scene where Molly has the ring and she makes things come to life—gods, it was really was a wonderful movie. I'd forgotten that quote completely but doesn't it just summarise life and death and everything in between so darn well.

    Thanks for tagging me, this tag sounds awesome, can't wait to read your two other quotes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I can't remember when I first saw it but it has only gotten better with age. Also, Molly's scene with the block of wood is one my favorites. :) You say it perfectly, so I shan't say anything more.

      Of course, and have fun!

      Delete
  2. I just discovered your blog through Alexa @ Summer Snowflakes and it's so cute! I've never actually read Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium but I have seen the movie... :) But I do like this quote because of its connection to Shakespeare!

    Ciera @ The Write Things

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad to know we have an awesome mutual friend. Actually, as far as I know it isn't a book; I was quoting the movie! The connection to Shakespeare is indeed beautiful. Thanks for stopping by, Ciera!

      Delete
  3. I LOVE Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium. Now I'm going to have to see it again, pronto.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO. I hope it is as amazing as always!

      Delete
  4. That is such a great quote. I watched this movie ages ago, and I have a feeling that I didn't appreciate it as much as I should have. It might be time for a rewatch...

    Thanks so much for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found it has become more profound as I get older. Maybe it's like... a going-into-college thing for me. I hope you do get to see it again soon—it's sure to be a delight! :)

      Delete
  5. I have not actually read this (confession time, I guess), but it sounds really good. We always have arguments when choosing family movies, so this sounds very good? Also a bit depressing, but the idea is so beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or watched? Because I am referring to the movie, in particular. XD It is actually not depressing. At all. Like... When I feel sad and uninspired I watch this movie because it is joyous and inspiring and it is because of death that it is powerful. Seriously, I highly recommend it.

      Delete
  6. I had forgotten how much I love this movie. Now I need to get ahold of it somehow. But I seriously love this quote, and it really made me think. Heck, the whole movie made me think, about life and death, but in a happier way than I had thought about it before. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buying it was probably my best movie decision ever. *nods* It is totally a thought-provoking movie! It is great. Thanks for reading, Liz!

      Delete
  7. Three favourites, that must have been so hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly tricky; I haven't picked my other two yet. XD

      Delete
  8. I was nodding all the way through this post because YEESSS. Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporioum is just /wonderful/ and this is one of the best parts of the movie. Yes. Just yes.

    Thanks for tagging me! I'll try to get this one during my Tag Week this month. :)


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? This part always makes my heart cry. :) I'm glad you love it, too. :D

      And I did see you did it, so good on you! :)

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!