Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Milk Tea Tag

For a good while there I hated tea. Like, here, have these dead leaves in hot water. Right. To be fair, my parents and I do not have an agreeable taste in teas (for example, there’s this horror in the cabinet called “throat coat” which claims to help you when you’ve got a sore throat but I suspect is secretly an emetic) but thanks to Captain Jean-Luc Picard I gave teaearlgreyhot a try and the rest is history.

My love for tea is paralleled with my love for book tags, and that is why I am so pleased that the esteemed Alyssa at Random Morbid Insanity has challenged me with the Milk Tea Tag! Thanks, Alyssa!



Tea: the foundation of your reading life

Bob Books. That sounds so dumb. You expect the foundation of your reading life to be the first book you loved, the first book that taught you to love your favorite genre… but I go back to the first books I read, ever. Bob Books. They are small books for children where all of the words are three letters. And even if I would have learned to read anyway, these are still my first books.
via Goodreads

Milk: a rich, smooth book

The Dirty Parts of the Bible. I love that book. It’s probably my favorite adult novel, to be honest. I feel like it’s so rich not only because it’s a retelling, but the messages it contains with racial parallels, romance, and money are so awesome. And it’s funny. And it’s fantastic. Agh. I must reread this thing.

via Goodreads

Sugar: a book you love but is controversial

The Giver. Which isn’t that controversial but I guess some people get angry when there’s a perfect society that eliminates racial, genetic, social, and political discrepancies in one fowl swoop. And people kill babies. But it’s for a good message.

via Goodreads

Ice: a book just for fun

Cruel Beauty. BUT THE MYTHOLOGY. AND THE ROMANCE. AND THE KISSING. AND THE PSYCHOLOGICAL PERSPECTIVE. I love this book. Like it is just adorableness condensed. And I love it.

via Goodreads

Silk stocking: a book that's much better than it sounds

The World Forgot. Look at this cover. Look at it. You’re like, “Who is this grungy chick on the cover with Elvie in that sweet shiny dress? I would totes wear that dress, but that other chick looks super old and grody. Who wants to read a book about her?” And I tell you, I thought it was Elvie’s suckish mom but I was WRONG because it is someone who is CRAZY IMPORTANT and gave me a HEART ATTACK in the midst of my death-by-explosive-laughter-in-the-library and I have realized that there are some things mothers should not go through.

via Goodreads

Yinyang: a book with foreign influence

The Witch of Duva. Which is not technically a book but it is Russian-esque and girl power and gingerbread people so just chill your bills and stuff. It’s a good story to read alone at midnight when you’re alone in someone else’s house.

via Goodreads
Thanks for putting all those stressful decisions in my life, Alyssa. I shall pass that stress onto others now:


What is your favorite tea? And what books does it remind you of?


14 comments :

  1. Ooh, The Dirty Parts of the Bible sounds quite intriguing indeed. (Although I think you're the first person to describe a humour book as rich and smooth XD) I enjoyed the premise of the Giver, but the plot felt kind of thin to me? I loved the themes and stuff, though. The World Forgot does have an awkward cover, and I love your commentary about it :D

    "It’s a good story to read alone at midnight when you’re alone in someone else’s house." Heather? Are you trying to trap us into crippling terror? *narrows eyes*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't actually a humor book. XD I mean, it's super funny (because my sense of religious humor just swings that way) but it's actually quite deep and rich and interesting. The Giver, as I mention to everyone, is a book kinda for twelve-year-olds, so yeah. It's kinda immature once you get to be fourteen, fifteen years old, but I still appreciate it in a futuristic sense.

      *innocent whistle* Actually, I was house sitting. XD

      Delete
  2. This was so fun to read. Is it sad that the only one of these books that I've read is BOB books? Those were foundational to me too : ) Anyhow, some of these sound really interesting. I'll have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, I never expect anyone to have read my books. XD I'm glad you know about BOB books, though. They were cool, right? And there are definitely some awesome books I just listed. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, the Bob books are my first books, too. We used to have a HUGE stack of them. I loved reading them, which is odd, because they're seriously the most boring books on earth. xD
    Also, I love the cover of The Witch of Duva. Soooo pretty.

    I tagged you for a thing! - http://awritersfaith.blogspot.com/2015/09/behind-scenes-writing-tag.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! We had a bunch of them too—I ate them up! And you're right. They were pretty dull. But hey, we can both read now, right?

      It is a rather pretty cover, isn't it? *happiness*

      Thanks for tagging me, Katie! I'll get to it soon!

      Delete
  4. Never heard of these! This is such a fun tag though! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately, I am not a huge tea drinker, especially in the heat of summer. But when I am, it's Tetley Orange Pekoe all the way.

    Fun tag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, summer is a bit hot for tea. Although I did have a delicious apple-cinnamon tea thing the other day. I haven't had Tetley Orange Pekoe; I'll have to look it up.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for tagging me! I've already done it, so tada! Time machine fun stuff and all that. (But I can totally do it again, if that's what you're asking. :P)

    Let's see--I've read The Giver and...nope, that's the only one I've read out of that list. *takes notes* The Dirty Parts of the Bible sounds intriguing. Which part(s) exactly is it retelling? I'd be interested to know more. Also, I haven't read anything by Leigh Bardugo yet, so I should go do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally scheduled this before you did it and didn't check who Alyssa tagged before doing it. XD

      It's actually a retelling of The Book of Tobit (or Tobias, apparently) and it's part of the Catholic Bible, so I hadn't heard of it before as a Protestant. Whether or not it's canonical or not, though, I still find it a mighty good story! And yeah, go read Leigh Bardugo, please.

      Delete
  7. LOL, I love this tag! I haven't read many of these (just the Giver and the Bob books) but what you've said about them makes me want to run and read them right now. Only I can't because of my Never-Ending Stories List AKA TBR. *sighs* They'll at least go on the list though. :)

    And my favorite tea is Irish Breakfast. Soooo good.


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alyssa is an artist, right? I think you might find The Giver more satisfying than Bob books, though. XD And tell me about it; I have so much to read and so little time.

      Nice! I haven't tried it, but it sounds good!

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!