Monday, September 7, 2015

College: The First Two Weeks

I have survived the first two weeks of college! Or university if you hail from a non-American English-speaking country. But I am American so I will call it college. Okay? Okay.

What can I tell you? Not where I go to college, obviously. I know some of you have asked, but I am afraid that as much as I like you there’s something to be said about privacy in this day and age and not getting murdered in a dark parking lot on campus. Although I’m sure a particularly ambitious and devious person could figure out where I go easily, I would like to discourage as many lazy and devious people as possible. So you will not be able to Google where I go. Sorry.

via gifsmile
College isn’t too bad so far (and I say that knowing I will look back on this post in a few years months weeks and laugh and then cry, but whatever). School is and always has been an evolving challenge of ever-increasing academic aptitude and personal responsibility and while I am by no means a college expert, I’d like to think that middle and high school at least prepared me a little bit.

Still, college has not come without its fair share of surprises so far, and so I will share five with you for your Monday delight.

via gifsoup

There is Less Corralling

The K-12 experience generally involves getting herded with your peers to a particular place knowing that certain hallways, doors, and classrooms are forbidden. This is because you are children and children are for bossing around. And not that there isn’t bossing in college but there is considerably less than I am used to. So that’s a plus.

via gifsmile

Food is Everywhere

A water bottle is basically part of your standard college student uniform, if not coffee, if not snacks, if not a meal. It is fascinating how we have made food portable and accessible. And also no one cares. People care in high school—but in college, food is life.

via yahoosports

Campus Can Be Scary

And what am I most scared of? Rapists? Pillagers? Murderers? No. I am most afraid of SKATEBOARDERS because their wheels make the sound of broken ankles, and my Achilles’ tendon seizes up as the sound of their clackity foot-death approaches on a daily basis. Maybe I will become roadkill. Maybe not. But I do not have complete confidence in the skateboarders on campus.

via giphy

The Internet Betrays You

It’s very hard to get an internet signal when I go out and about with my laptop. Which is fine. But I spend way more time playing the dinosaur game than actually getting work done. In other news, on Friday I got a new high score of 780. Stupid pterodactyls.

via ocm

College is Still School

Which is kind of obvious, but admissions and orientation basically exist to convince you that college is not just about school, but they are wrong. It is mostly about school. And there’s lots of work to be done, essays to be written, books to be read, speeches to be made in front of the class, and all that other stuff that comes with being education. It’s hard work. But I come home every day with more questions than answers, and that’s just the way I like it.


So that is adventures in college, two weeks in. There may be a day when the strength of education fails, but it is not this day. Mostly because today is Labor Day so I don’t actually have class. But whatever.

How has your school year been so far? Have you started a new school this year?


24 comments :

  1. Glad to hear college has been a good experience for you so far. I dropped out of college after a year of criminal justice and another of general education, because I thought I wanted to be a youth pastor. That led to street minister, which somehow landed me at writer.

    I did enjoy my college experience, despite struggling academically. There was a lot about myself I didn't know then, so I have given some thought to going back, mostly to polish up on my Spanish and possibly learn French. For right now, it's financially and circumstantially out of my reach, but who knows?

    If I do return to college, I hope it's after my move to Florida. I find I relax much more with the climate there, and I think that would help in keeping my stress level to a minimum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting college story! I don't know what I want to do yet, so hopefully that will delay any life-crippling decisions for a while.

      Well, hopefully you will be able to do what you want to do in the future. In the meantime, have you considered a program like Duolingo to brush up on your language skills?

      Nice! Less stress would be good for everyone.

      Delete
  2. I'm starting at a new school! Well, we haven't quite started yet, but it's in very few days... so, I don't know, I guess I'm excited but I liked summer and I don't want it to end.

    I'm so glad you like college (or university? Nah, it's still college in Canada), although less internet, so that's a bit of a bummer. Congratulations on your 780 though (curse those pterodactyls).

    I hope you survive the rest of the semester without getting crushed by skateboarders ;) (Which is my way of saying good luck)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just wishing summer were longer because once you grow up and get a job you won't get to have summer vacation ever again. *weeps*

      Ey, Canadia! I think we speak a closer dialect than other areas in the world, I suppose. And seriously, those pterodactyls. They're killers.

      Thank you! If I get crushed by a skateboarder I'll be sure to let you guys know.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad college has been okay so far, Heather! It sounds quite interesting? What are you majoring in (not specifics: just maths or science or humanities or what?) School has been pretty good so far. My four APs + two other classes+music has not manged to make me panic extremely yet (let's please not discuss panicking re:last semester) I do have less time for blogging and reading and writing though, which is sad. And I'm making some good new friends (though two of my close friends have ditched me in favour of exchange in New Hampshire and Australia- thanks guys) I like most of my classes, though Calculus is very hard to think about and Human Geography and and Environmental science are US-centric. There are some advantages to living in a place with steep hills and limited road access (no skateboards) Though there was a soccer tournament recently and now everyone is limping or bandaged

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have noooo idea what I'm going to major in yet. Maybe humanities. Maybe English. Maybe some other great thing. It is a surprise for us all!

      I hope your classes aren't as panic-making for you this year, and that your friends have a great time with you as you learn and hang out and stuff. Calculus was definitely one of my worst classes ever, so good luck! And I'm sorry that my country is taking over your classes. :/ Thanks for checking in, Shanti!

      Delete
  4. Glad college is going well for you! It's a little overwhelming (at least it was last year for me) for the first couple of weeks. But you'll get used to it eventually. Hope your writing's going well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I think things are definitely starting to settle. Writing is still underway, but it's slow going, as always.

      Delete
  5. Skateboarders scare me too! Like, are you going to stop or are you going to run me over? There's about a fifty-fifty chance I might survive this encounter. Also, I approve of your college's culture surrounding food. *secretly signs up to your college even though I have no clue where you attend* Less herding and bossing sounds nice, although I was homeschooled, so the only one herding me and bossing me in the first place was my mom...and maybe my sister.

    I'm glad you've survived the first two weeks! Good luck on the rest. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Skateboarders are intense. And we don't have as many places to eat on campus but hey, there is always food to spare if you wanna visit. Your experiences of herding and bossing would definitely be less, I think.

      Thanks, Liz!

      Delete
  6. I remember my first two weeks of university last year. I took a picture of the campus map on my phone and used it religiously. There was waaaay to many ways to get to the same place (and thus get lost in between point a and point b).

    Your statement about food could not be more true! I think what I spent on food in Sept. rivaled what I paid for my books for the entire year! It was bad.

    Good luck on the rest of your first year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My campus is pretty small so I didn't get lost much after we had orientation. But it was still a little confusion for the first few days!

      I pack lunches from home, so I'm not spending too much on food, but it's ridiculous.

      Thanks, Sunny!

      Delete
  7. That sounds pretty exciting! Currently, I'm a senior, so I'm obviously fretting about what college I'll be attending next year. But besides that, I started at a new school in a new town, so everything is relatively new to me right now. So far, school has been pretty easy, although I'm certain I won't be thinking the same thing tomorrow. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *wince* I lived that life last year, and I don't envy you. Moving seems like it would just make everything that much harder! I hope that you have a great senior year and an easy college search, at least compared to mine. :)

      Delete
  8. Glad college is treating you all right so far! And lol, I've generally been more scared /for/ the skateboarders than /of/ them, but their possible lack of control of their skateboards could definitely create a problem in your life.

    And the food thing, that's one I'd never heard about college, but I think I'm suddenly wanting to go a bit more, lol.

    Out of curiosity, what are you majoring in?


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assume that if they can be on a skateboard they are willing to take responsibility for any unfortunateness they suffer while on it. I did not sign that contract, lol.

      Food is great. Totally go for food.

      I don't know yet, but hopefully something awesome.

      Delete
  9. I'm you're enjoying college! That skateboarder thing. *shudders* And food everywhere? Where do I sign up? Hope you enjoy the rest of your year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the well wishes! I hope it goes well, too. :)

      Delete
  10. It sounds like you're adapting well to college life, because your humour is on point as always. It'll please you to know I am devious but lazy, so your college shall remain a secret, and I'll have you know that I like bossing around children (even if people older than me try to boss me around in turn), and that skateboarders do sound very scary. All the best with the school parts of college!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *swooshes hair flippantly* I didn't choose to be humorous, the humorousness chose me. I should have figured you were one of the bossy ones... but hey, we are the older ones, should we not get to boss? Thanks, Alyssa!

      Delete
  11. Skatebords :")

    I'm glad your enjoying uni so far!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm loving college. I've got almost no time for anything else, but yayyy learning! And meeting LOTS of new people :) Glad you're enjoying your experience! The Skateboarders make me nervous too, but not so much as the cyclists....

    Also, amen to your comment about food. Caf food, maybe not so much, but you learn to live with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woot woot! It's very hard to get everything I want in the day, but you're right—there are new people and places to see. Cyclists aren't as bad because I trust them to be in control, I guess. But y'know, that's just a relative comparison.

      Hey, it is better than starving, amiright?

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!