Monday, September 21, 2015

Behind the Scenes Writing Tag

The lovely Katie of A Writer’s Faith has tagged me for the Behind the Scenes Writing Tag! Thanks so much, Katie! There appear to be no particular rules, so I will just get me to it, as it were.


Is there a certain snack you like to eat while writing?

No. I need two hands to write, to type, to think. Food is distracting. If I deign to eat while doing something writer-y, then it is while I read blog posts, because I can read and eat a la vez.

via picslist

When do you normally write? Night, afternoon, or morning?

Night is my ideal time, but since my basement is being renovated night writing has been reduced to whatever I can stick in my notebook. And because it’s hard to do stuff around my family, my writing has turned into a late morning/afternoon affair when I can go work at the library.

Where do you write?

In my bed is my preferred handwriting place, and then ideally I write in the basement alone at night, but again, I can’t, so I go to the library because people are less intrusive there. The noise is ambient, not in your life.

via alot2thinkabout

How often do you write a new novel?

*shrugs* You know, whenever. I tend to have ideas for novels frequently but I don’t get them started very often—editing takes a lot away from other works.

Do you listen to music while you write?

Abso-frickin-lutely! Like I am listening to “The Riddle” from The Scarlet Pimpernel as I write this and by now it is “Dance Magic Dance” by David Bowie. Because who does not adore Jareth, I ask you?

Anyway, I’m almost always listening to music because it drowns out the rest of the life happening in my house, which is understandably distracting.

via silverthistle

What do you write on? Laptop or paper?

I write on everything. Napkins, paper plates, walls, notebooks. But, most often, I write in notebooks, or on the PC. I’ve kind of started using my laptop to write stuff (it’s where I’m working now) but it seems much less trustworthy since I have a disliking for laptops in principle.

Is there a special ritual you have before or after you write?

I sacrifice an unblemished male virgin from the local high school and offer his entrails up to the god of pain and suffering. When I have finished writing I run over his entrails with my car and inform the police that I know nothing of the string of disappearances affecting the boys within a three-mile radius.

via giphy

What do you do to get into the mood to write?

I kind of just sit down and say “and now I will write.” I am not that kind of person who can write every day unless I have a goal I am working towards, and so when I have something to work for, I get it done, and if I don’t then I elect to not write because I have a fickle soul.

What is always near the place you write?

A mug of water. Without fail, there is a mug of water. And sometimes people wash it and then I am like “WHERE IS MY MUG?” and that is always annoying and unjustified.

via giphy

Do you have a reward system for your word count?

No. Because “reward” is just another word for “food” and I have no patience for working for food. If I can’t work on something because I care about that thing in and of itself then that thing isn’t going to happen. That goes for everything, not just writing.

Is there anything about your writing process that others might not know about?

I'm sure there's plenty. *nods* Unfortunately, I don't think it's important you know where exactly I bury those virgins, so I will send you on your merry way at this moment.

So, do you sacrifice virgins before you write? Do you eat? Do you listen to music? Tell me about your writing process!

22 comments :

  1. I love your answers! They are hilarious. :) Particularly the one about your writing rituals.

    I don't always have food. But I almost always have something to drink, whether it's tea, chocolate milk, soda, or more often just ice water. Though once I get engrossed in my writing, it usually is neglected. I could bring a full cup of ice water into my room and still have a full cup left when I finish. Unless it's chocolate milk, because I can't stand warm milk.

    I might have to do this tag sometime. It looks fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, rituals are the best part!

      Oh, yes, staying hydrated while writing is important. Or, you know, just the comfort of knowing you could have a drink if you wanted to! (But yeah, warm milk is icky).

      Feel free! It is open for the taking.

      Delete
  2. RULES. I STINKIN' FORGOT THE RULES.
    *ahem*
    Yeah. Oh well. You did fine anyways and all the other bloggers. xD

    Your answers though. Oh gosh. That's just... all I'm going to say on that. Oh my. I laughed. ;)
    Thank you for doing the taggg!

    Katie Grace | A Writer's Faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well. XD We know how this all goes these days. :)

      I'm glad you laughed, and thanks so much for tagging me! I had a great time writing it. :D

      Delete
  3. I, too, sacrifice virgins before and after writing. I've found it really helps me focus, once I've satisfied my usual murderous rage with the blood of the innocent and pure. My post on this goes up tomorrow, too, so you can see all my other secrets then...

    And all shall be revealed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone else understands! Murderous rage, I have to admit, is just not helpful for getting in the zone. *sigh* I really enjoyed your post as well; it's awesome to see how other writers get all this done!

      Delete
  4. Wait, is it possible to write anything without sacrificing virgins first?

    Your answers are great though, and I'm the same for most of them--like, I always have a bottle of water close by (along with, you know, twelve mugs of coffee), and I prefer writing at night, and I write listening to music, and I sacrifice virgins, and I don't usually eat while I'm writing, and I don't work for rewards. You're so right about that last one. If something isn't worth doing in an of itself, it isn't worth doing for a reward (although, I will say sometimes for me the reward is simply being done, but that's different).

    I actually love laptops though. (Maybe you could tell from my blog address.) And I can't seem to do much writing without my laptop. So I'm curious--what exactly don't you like about laptops? (Admittedly, if you met my laptop, you'd probably swear off them entirely, so there's that...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uhhhh.... Maybe picture books?

      Heheheh, Twinsies! Or whatever. Something less stereotypical and awkward. Just, y'know, drinking and whatever. Also, yes, there has to be an inherent pleasure in working, otherwise it just ain't gonna get done. You're also right about the reward being finishing, though. I didn't think of that!

      Heh, I did think. I maybe should have like, a post on why I don't like laptops? It's not so bad once I have my own but it's sort of something that has just been drilled into me over time. *nods*

      Delete
  5. *Edges away from others in virtual room*. Who knew bloggers were such a violent bunch?

    But seriously, some great answers to those questions. I associate with a lot of them (especially with the editing monster taking up writing time).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's just the book bloggers. You can't be a writer or a reader if you don't drink blood every now and again. ;)

      And yes, THE EDITING MONSTER. Worse than anything that could sneak under my bed.

      Delete
  6. I'm with you on the water thing. Water is important. And sometimes tea. Occasionally I'll listen to classical music, but usually I find it too distracting. And no... no virgins have gone missing from my school *shifty eyes* I haven't had much time to write lately which is unfortunate, but our quarter break is at the end of this week, thank goodness. I'm planning to plot something new, work on a short story, and begin rereading *sigh* I'm an over achiever. But if I complete(or even begin) any of those things, I'll be happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, water is important. Even if you aren't writing. It's too bad you haven't been able to write lately, but I hope you're able to get some work done soon! And hey, there is no such thing as overachieving—there is just you, and people who can't live up to your standards. Happy writing!

      Delete
  7. YOUR RITUAL. I approve, no matter how disturbing it may be and excluding the fact that my hand is creeping up to my mobile phone discretely to report you to the police.

    When I write, I write. When I eat, I eat. NO DISTRACTIONS. I won't sacrifice any attention to my two loves, which is why I will probably ignore mortals if they approach me during said activities.

    P.S Your sass is worth dying for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehehe, thanks, Nirvana! (Don't worry, the police can't find me... easily).

      NO DISTRACTIONS INDEED. Except I read and eat. Eating is a very multitasky activity for me. Oh well.

      :D Gracias.

      Delete
  8. Hahahhahaha those rituals. That is hilarious. Those poor virgins (and mystified police officers). Your criminal tendencies should not surprise me. Sometimes I listen to music while working, to block out all the noise in my house. (Like my 7 year old sister wandering naked into our shared room and telling me perfectly normally about learning about fractions with pizza in second grade. That happened today) Unlike you, I totally work for food. I'll tell myself I can't have breakfast until I go running, then I'll go because I'm hungry. Or no chocolate until you finished that one thing. Anyway, thank you for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And yet someone always is surprised. Ah, well. Wow, it is very rare that anyone has wandered in on me writing while they were naked. You live in quite the exciting place! Also, you write for that food. Is there a more valiant prize?

      Delete
  9. LOL dat ritual, tho. And that Dumbledore gif is just killing me. XD I can't really listen to music while I write, I'm wayy too easily distracted. Sometimes I can manage it if it doesn't have any lyrics, though. And you don't like laptops? Understandable. They could crash. I do all my writing on my laptop, and then every once in a while, I'll email the latest chapters to myself. That way, if my laptop ever dies, I'll still have my stories, since I can access my email account from any computer. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heheheheh. I love Dumbledore. Also, yeah, laptops just make me wary because I have had bad experiences with them before. :P I've been doing all my laptop writing on OneDrive, though, so hopefully that means that my writing won't die if my laptop were to crash! :D Your method is good too, though... I ought to do that myself!

      Delete
  10. Your ritual is the best :'D Does it work? Should I give it a try?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it works; I wouldn't do it if it didn't. You're welcome to try, but only do it on the New Moon or something. You don't want to be seen.

      Delete
  11. LOL, I love this post! And I don't eat while writing either. Too distracting. I need my hands free if I'm going to write.


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Like, maybe if you were using a notebook and it had a wrapper, that would be fine, but if you're typing? Not if I wanna keep up my 80 wpm count. :P

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!