Thursday, August 13, 2015

Thursentary: My 5 Favorite Musicals

Why don’t we talk about musicals more? Musicals are life! Admittedly, my close friends are very interested in musical theater and it was basically all we talked about in middle school (and Percy Jackson, lol) but it is an entire high school career later—musicals are still fan. tás. ticos.

Though I may have seen more musical productions than my average peer, Youtube and Pandora are the real tools I have used to cultivate my loves. They can take over your life, in a good way. For example, on July 17 between 1:59 AM and 2:14 AM, I couldn’t sleep, so I wrote down all the musicals I could think off of the top of my head.

Even though I wrote down 53 musicals, it was surprisingly easy to narrow down my top five. After it was two in the morning I second-guessed myself a lot, but hey, let’s just run with my early morning choices.

via Buzzfeed

5. Wicked

Ugh, I know. Like, I could do so much better. But there’s a lot of nostalgia involved, okay? Wicked depicts Oz before Dorothy dropped in, loosely based off Gregory Maguire’s novel. Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West, and Glinda, share an unadulterated loathing for one another until they become best friends—and then mortal enemies. The dual meanings with Wizard of Oz are the best part, closely followed by Fiyero’s boots as he dances through life. I’ve seen it twice on stage—it’s rather populer. Lar.

via mysweetcupoftea

4. Legally Blonde

This musical makes me feel so much better. Based on Heather Hach’s book, Elle Woods follows her ex-boyfriend to Harvard to become “serious” and win back his heart. Don’t be fooled by the copious amounts of pink; there’s serious girl power here! With the help of her friends, Elle transforms from heartbroken and boy-crazed to carrying a chip on her shoulder that makes her a good lawyer. And, if nothing else, watch it for Paulette and the UPS guy.


3. The King and I

I haven’t seen this one live, but there are movies and cast recordings. Anna Leonowens (who you might know from the book Anna and the King) arrives to teach the King of Siam’s children, but as she’s getting to know the children, she finds it difficult to get along with the king himself. There’s implied romance and the whistling of happy tunes and young lovers and dancing, ETCETERA, ETCETERA, ETCETERA!

via thinkpinay

2. Les Misérables

Don’t trust the movies—the musical is BETTER. Springing from a Victor Hugo novel, the musical examines justice, mercy, and sin through three staple characters: Jean Valjean, Javert, and Thénardier. I love the religious themes. And the music. Also, the blood of angry men is spilled in the dark of ages past, so all the dreams they dreamed left the sole survivor among empty chairs at empty tables. *sniffle* Also, Philip Quast’s rendition of “Javert’s Suicide” is my favorite Les Mis thing ever.


1. Fiddler on the Roof

It took me a long time to understand why this is one of my dad’s favorite movies. Based off a series of short stories, Tevye and His Daughters, Fiddler depicts a steadfast faith despite the political environment of Imperial Russia. Three of Tevye’s daughters are ready for the matchmaker to make them a match, as is tradition, but when the girls hope to marry men of their own selection, Tevye must decide what is mere custom that he will sacrifice for his daughters’ happiness, and what is the very foundation of his beliefs. I would LOVE to see this one live, but mostly I just watch the lovely movie instead of studying for finals.


I’m still wavering on Wicked and Legally Blonde, but fortunately, I don’t have to limit myself to this list. These are all the musicals I thought of that morning:

Seen 1+ Stage Production | Seen 1+ Film Production | Seen 1+ Filmed Stage Production

Evita, Wicked, Pirates of Penzance, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, The Addams Family, The King and I, Annie, My Fair Lady, The Sound of Music, Mary Poppins, Aladdin, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, Phantom of the Opera, The Producers, Legally Blonde, Les Misérables, Young Frankenstein, Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog, Into the Woods, The Wizard of Oz, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Deamcoat, Fiddler on the Roof, Carousel, Matilda, A Little Princess, The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, The Lion King, The Scarlet Pimpernel, Heathers, Jersey Boys, A Very Potter Musical, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, The Fantastiks, Rent, Spring Awakening, Dracula, How to Succeed at Business Without Really Trying, Annie Get Your Gun, Oliver!, Cinderella, Gypsy, Sunset Boulevard, Cats, Camelot, Spamelot, Kinky Boots, The Book of Mormon, Gigi, Jesus Christ Superstar, Chicago

It is amazing what I can think of when I’m supposed to be sleeping.

(By the way, I’d feel bad if I didn’t include these other musicals I didn’t think of at the time, but also listen to: Garden of Eden, Newsies, Leap of Faith, Little Shop of Horrors, The Wedding Singer, Hairspray, A New Brain, Side Show, The MikadoJekyll and Hyde. OH, and I know that High School Musical (all three of them) and Rocky Horror Picture Show exist, but I have had enough of them.)

Do you have any favorite musicals? Share them with me!


Who are your favorite fictional friends? (From musicals, maybe?) If you want to help me write the last fangirl post for Saturday, be sure to tune in!

22 comments :

  1. I've seen all of those (except Legally Blonde) and I can't agree more! They're awesome. One of my favorites is Singing in the Rain. :) I awarded you the Infinity Dreams award over at my blog, by the way! http://willafivecents.blogspot.com/2015/08/infinity-dreams-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'm glad you like them! I actually haven't seen Singing in the Rain, but it's such a classic I really should. Thank you so much for the award! I'll post it Wednesday. :)

      Delete
  2. One of my favorites is The Sound of Music, just because it's The Sound of Music. I just love watching it over and over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. I love The Sound of Music. I think the last time I watched it I was avoiding studying for finals—definitely worth it, though.

      Delete
  3. Oh man I love Les Miserables so much! And I ALWAYS have to tell everyone, "No, not the movie. The musicals are the ones you want." :P It's the musical I grew up with, and it will forever hold a special place in my heart. I do enjoy other musicals as well, and I've seen many from your list.
    Awesome idea, Heather!
    -Bailey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES, THANK YOU! *high fives* The musical is definitely better than the movies (especially the Thenardiers) and it is just all around better. Thanks for reading, Bailey!

      Delete
  4. I love musicals! But I haven't seen any of the five :( I've actually never been able to go to a live production of any musical. I know...sadness! So I typically have to settle for the movies.

    I've always wanted to see Wicked, though. I actually...ah...know all the songs. :D I also know some of the songs from The King and I--that's another one I want to see.

    If anything, you've given me a great list of musicals to look forward to seeing one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I'm sorry! If you ever get the chance, I'd definitely recommend any of the five above. :) I hope you get to go someday.

      *nods* Well, we tend to know all the songs from the musicals we love, yes? It's not weird at all. And I SO WANT TO SEE THE KING AND I it almost kills me. *sigh*

      Thanks for reading, Ally, and I hope you get to see them someday!

      Delete
  5. My Fair Lady! I love that one. :D Also, the Newsies.

    I've seen the movie of Fiddler on the Roof. But it kind of made me depressed. . .

    The only musicals I've seen live would be Into the Woods and Legally Blonde. Not by touring professionals, but whatever (Paulette still stole the show ;) ).

    And Phantom of the Opera! I would love, love to see that live. The effects would be amazing. (Have you heard Lindsey Stirling's Phantom of the Opera Medley? It's fantastic!)

    I really want to see Wicked and Beauty and the Beast also. Les Miserables. That sounds impacting too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're both awesome, right? I don't mind the movies of either of those, but I've not seen Newsies on stage. The movie and musical of My Fair Lady are pretty close, though. :)

      Really? I love Fiddler on the Roof, and entirely for happy reasons. May I ask why it made you depressed?

      Have you checked out the 25th anniversary DVD? That one is pretty awesome! I have seen Lindsey Stirling's PotO medley, but I still prefer the live version. :)

      Wicked, Les Mis, and Beauty and the Beast are all wonderful live productions. I hope you get to see them! Thanks for stopping by, Ashley!

      Delete
  6. I love LOVE The Sound of Music, but I think like you, it's a nostalgic thing. My sister and I grew up watching the movie, and in our later teen years saw a few live productions.

    I really enjoyed The King and I movie. The dress from the scene you showed in the GIF is amazing! Also, Les Mis is great!

    Ack! So much love for musicals! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a nostalgia thing... And it's a good movie to watch when you want to watch a long thing. I hope I get to see a live production someday!

      Which movie? I know of like, three, haha... I like the animated version, but that's the only one I've seen. *wince* And yes to Les Mis as well!

      Thanks for reading, Sunny!

      Delete
  7. I adore musicals. I have seven siblings and our parents are pretty strict but musical so my family always connected with The Sound Of Music. I could probably quote the entire movie word for word.

    Anyhow... your choices are FINE. Fiddler On The Roof, Les Miserables, and The King and I are some of my favorites. I've never seen Wicked or Legally Blonde, but now I'll have to.

    My other favorite musicals are

    -My Fair Lady
    -Newsies
    -The Hunchback of Notre Dame

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's a lot of siblings! I'm glad you guys have enjoyed The Sound of Music; I like it quite a bit, too. :) I hope you get to see them someday. I liked to the Legally Blonde video up there, so you can watch if you wish!

      I love My Fair Lady especially, Newsies is lovely, and I haven't seen anything beyond the Hunchback of Notre Dame movie, but one of my friends in musical theatre has shared at least one song with me, and it was great!

      Delete
  8. Aww yisss! I adore musicals, although unfortunately I've never had the opportunity to see one live. I especially love My Fair Lady, The Pirates of Penzance, and Les Miserables. <3 <3 <3 Wicked is also one of my favourites. But there are so many that I love!
    I'm really excited that you made a post about them; musicals are definitely underrated and not talked about enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I'm sorry! I hope you get to see them! The Pirates of Penzance is one of my favorites especially, because I grew up with it. :) I've actually seen all the ones you mentioned live (admittedly, PoP was done by students, but it was still awesome) and I'd highly recommend them!

      I feel like I need to talk about musicals more now, you know? Like, let's make this a thing.

      Delete
  9. OMG, okay, can we be like best friends now because PERCY JACKSON + MUSICALS = LIFE. OMG someone finally gets me! Haha

    I absolutely adore Wicked and Les Miserables especially. They are both so emotional and have such incredible music and powerful storylines. I haven't seen The King & I yet but I've heard from some theatre friends that it's incredible.

    I also love Sound of Music and Hairspray as well. :D Thanks for sharing this fabulous post! ♥

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY! Actually, I think you just summed up my middle school years to a T, but those are still big parts of life.

      Both of those are good, definitely! I'd also highly recommend The King and I, because I love it, and the music is great... I mean, basically you can't go wrong, okay?

      I've only seen part of Hairspray, but it's boppy, and Sound of Music is always a favorite! :) Thanks for stopping by, Zoe!

      Delete
  10. Okay, so now I realize how many musicals I have not seen and need to. I mean, I've seen Into the Woods (but not the actual musical, only the inferior movie), Wizard of Oz, Les Miserables, Fiddler on the Roof, The Phantom of the Opera, The Little Princess--I'll stop listing, I guess I've seen about half the ones you mentioned. But I'm always eager to watch more--especially Wicked and Legally Blonde--I've actually been wanting to see those for ages. And I think my two favorite musicals would be Phantom of the Opera and Les Miserables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe the original broadway recording is on Youtube—I might tweet it to you just because you shouldn't be stuck with the inferior movie. Those are all great, but I hope you enjoy the ones you haven't seen yet! PotO and Les Mis are totally awesome, though. :)

      Delete
  11. I love the musicals I've seen, but I haven't seen very many and none of them on stage. However, I love the HSMs and The Sound of Music. Also Mary Poppins.
    But I think my favorite songs from musicals are all in Wicked, even though I've never seen it. Especially Defying Gravity. It's just amazing.


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookrevies.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's too bad. I hope you get to see some on stage someday! Mary Poppins is good, though different from the movie, and Sound of Music is always awesome.

      Wicked is definitely a nice musical. :) I like it. Thanks for commenting, Alexa!

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!