Saturday, July 4, 2015

Heather, Inside Out

First things first: Happy Independence Day! I don’t know how you’ll celebrate (or if you care, since many of you do not live here, in my country—none of you live in my house) but I know that this day for me is promising of watermelon, chips, and my dad reading the Declaration of Independence to us!

Almost two weeks ago I went and saw Inside Out with my best friend and her family—I admit that no movie has ever made me cry so hard (which is weird, because I am a staunch supporter of not crying while reading or watching movies).

If you’re unfamiliar with the characters, they are JOY, SADNESS, ANGER, FEAR, and DISGUST, and they control exactly what they sound like. It’s worth noting that they aren’t limited to the emotion they control in Riley’s brain, but they do represent it fully.

via Pixar Post
One of the greatest pleasures of the movie was getting out of Riley’s brain and getting a peek at everyone else’s emotions in their own heads, and their own headquarters. It was usually funny, and a good reminder that everyone feels things a little differently. One of the most interesting things we noticed as we later discussed the movie at dinner was that while Riley is primarily influenced by Joy, the “boss” in her father’s head was Anger, and her mother’s was Sadness.

Every emotion had a different character, and every emotion was different from head to head. Where in Riley’s head Anger was opinionated and unimpressed, but also kept his place out of the limelight, in her father’s head he was exasperated and held a much more regimented reign.

We get to see into several minds, and that rather inspired me to take a look into my own mind—but instead of inventing characters for my own head, I thought I’d borrow a few others.

In the movie, your emotions are the same gender that you are, unless you’re Riley, because her emotions are the main characters and it would be impossible to market the movie if you only had girl emotions. Also, her emotions are supposed to represent the emotions of the entire human race (which is kind of a lot of pressure for an eleven-year-old) so even if she’s a girl, as a device she’s kind of the everyman who connects with the audience.

Anyway, even though I am a girl, more of my emotions are better represented by dude characters, but you know what? I do not care! I am still a fabulous girl, regardless of machinations I invent to put some material on this blog. *uncharacteristically flips hair; that is usually her sister’s gig*

via Scholastic

Joy :: Mr. Magorium

I adore Mr. Magorium as a character. He is amazing because he is consistently amazed. Our happiness involves a shared sense of wonder at the world around us. Mr. Magorium has a childlike appreciation of the simple things, but despite being childlike, he isn’t childish. For both of us, profundity is independent of solemnity, and we can both look at things deeply without taking the magic away.

via Fringe Bloggers

Fear :: Olivia Dunham

Like Olivia, my fear tends to show up more on the inside than it does on the outside, and it typically pops up out of a desire to protect myself and those around me. And, at least on our walks of life, we often have to move beyond our fears to succeed.


via Fanpop

Anger :: Eliot Spencer

I don’t think I’m a lot like Eliot, but he’s a good representation of my anger. Like him, I often stew on the inside more than I act on it on the outside. We both have high standards and aren’t afraid to speak up or call people out.


via black-angel-kitteh on dA


Disgust :: Franz Argentblum

There are days when Franz is my spirit animal. We know what we don’t like, especially when it comes to food, how people treat us and our friends, and the situations we find ourselves in. On that note, we both hate salad.

via Heroes Wikia




Sadness :: Sadness

This movie resonated with me so much because I understood Sadness’s character intimately. I know what it’s like to assume the worst and have a negative outlook on a bad day, but more than anything, she helps people find what’s wrong and work through tough situations. And I’ve needed that a lot throughout my teen years.


Now, who would sit in the driver’s seat? It’s hard to say—I’m dubious as to whether your lead emotion is how you feel most of the time. Looking at the famous “dinner scene” between Riley’s family, her mom, led by Sadness, works through the conversation trying to find out why Riley is behaving unusually—she wants to know what’s wrong, so she can help fix it. That’s Sadness’s job. On the other side, Riley’s dad and Anger decides to “put the foot down,” because he feels like Riley has been disrespectful—he sees the result of what is wrong, and needs Riley to know that her behavior is not okay. Regardless of what’s going on in her life, he still holds her to a standard. Mom is concerned with the cause, and Dad with the effect—and I don’t think both are valid reactions.

In essence, the driving emotion isn’t how you usually feel, but, at least to my way of thinking, how you initially react to the problems you need to solve. If Joy is driving, then maybe you’re always looking for the bright side. If Fear or Disgust is, then maybe you’re looking for a way to protect people’s bodies or feelings, or trying to avoid unpleasant or undesirable outcomes.

I could see myself as being driven by Sadness. Not because I usually feel sad, but because the way I work through my emotions, my daily problems, and things that just don’t make sense requires me to work backwards and figure out the “why.”

Then again, I could be wrong. Every emotion is important, but sometimes they don’t make sense.

Who would be on your cast of emotions? Who would sit in your driver’s seat?


18 comments :

  1. Oh. This movie was amazing. It made me cry so hard, too... I honestly wasn't expecting that much from just a small animated movie. :p
    It's hard to know who drives my brain. Of course I'd like to say joy--that's who I want to strive for, to make people happy and smile with all my actions. But I think maybe the controls are shared by sadness and joy. They both fit me well, so it's hard to decide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have high expectations when it comes to animated movies, but I never expect tears. It was completely crazy. Joy is definitely an admirable attitude, but I think you can still make people happy even if you have sadness in there, too. Either way, I think the movie shows us that we don't have to act purely according to our emotions!

      Delete
  2. *whispers* I haven't watched this movie. I can only comment that Olivia Dunham looks freaking badass and Sadness is LIKE THE CUTEST EVER. And yep, emotions sometimes don't make sense.

    This comment is mainly to say I will vote for Star Wars even though I like it because I am one to tempt fate. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *whispers* You really should watch it, but I can affirm that Olivia Dunham is among the more badass women you will ever meet, and Sadness is also adorably cute, adding to the idea that emotions sometimes don't make sense.

      *purses lips* At this instant it looks like it is going to be Star Wars, and I think it may not be what you expected.

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen Inside Out yet, but I really hope to :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love it! I really enjoyed it, and highly recommend it!

      Delete
  4. Wow, that's 3 positive reviews I've heard in a week. Now I really want to see it. :D

    Awesome post, I only know Mr Magorium from le Wonder Emporium, but his happiness is very much associated with freedom, in my opinion. Because becoming more 'adult-like' requires that you put on figurative shackles to conform to society's image of a 'proper' adult. Being childlike is a glorious thing. :)

    I can't wait for you to cover Star Wars (if that's the way the vote goes and you decide to do it). Even if you thrash the movies I love...it's awesome to just discuss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's... yeah. I mean, I'm sure there are negative aspects but I need to watch it at least twice more before I can put on some critical glasses.

      Mr. Magorium is kind of like freedom! He definitely doesn't conform, but his non-conformity isn't necessarily a statement or a battle, but simply an outlook that makes him really shine as a character!

      Well, it looks like Star Wars may be Saturday's pick, and I won't be thrashing the movies you love, per se... But it may not be what you wanted to hear, either.

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness. I watched this movie a little while ago, and I can definitely relate to a lot of the thoughts you had about it. It was wonderfully done and says a lot about human empathy and mindsets, I think.

    (Also! Sadness is essentially me IRL, so I totally get where you're coming from when you discuss her character.)

    Great post, Heather, and wonderful food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely changed how I think about my emotions, and I've been pondering it the rest of the week! I'm glad it's making you think, too. I like movies that make me think.

      (Yes! I think sadness really comes into play as you get older, too, so it's interesting to see where and when people interact with that feeling in their stories. But for me... yeah...)

      Thanks for reading, Christina!

      Delete
  6. Ah, I've wanted to see this movie for awhile. This post makes me want to see it even more. I'm fairly certain that I would be Sadness as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! And interesting—you'll have to tell me if you've changed your mind after watching the film!

      Delete
  7. I loved this movie as well - and did get teary at some points too (poor Bobo). I loved seeing how each emotion and experience shaped Riley's personality, and it was a really heartwarming movie in the end. Great review Heather :)

    Eugenia @ Genie In A Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched it with my best friend in the theater and she cried hard for Bobo. I'll admit my eyes were not entirely dry, either. It was totally interesting to see how Riley's personality interacted with her emotions, and I agree, it was great. Thanks for reading, Eugenia!

      Delete
  8. So I'm so excited to watch this film, and it came totally out of the blue. I didn't know it was being made, I didn't watch the trailers or even know about it. And now I've read some fantastic reviews, friends love it and it just sounds intently gorgeous and heart pulling. I really like the idea of the messages being given, too, and the fact it focuses on emotions and isn't all happy or saying that sadness is bad. And so interesting and thought provoking, the roles each emotion takes as "boss" in different peoples heads.
    Fantastic post, Heather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, really? I've seen it on Facebook and Youtube for months now, and I was so excited to see what would happen! I think many people have found it to be so entertaining, and I find the messages to be very realistic and kind. I hope you enjoy it when you see it. Thanks for reading, Romi!

      Delete
  9. Fascinating post! And I love Mr. Magorium too!
    Hmm, I haven't seen Inside Out, but based on your assessment, I'd say my driving emotion is either Fear or Disgust, because I'm often looking for ways to avoid problems and protect people. Then again, I also try to figure out the "Why" of almost /everything/, so maybe it's Sadness, too. Apparently I'm a complicated individual, lol.
    Thanks for the awesome post!


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an awesome movie, right?

      I would totally recommend seeing Inside Out before you make any definite conclusions, but I like your analysis. Fear and Sadness definitely sound like reasonable ideas, to me. I would be interested to see if you change your mind later. Thanks for reading, Alexa!

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!