Tuesday, June 16, 2015

YA Avengers

On an impulse I bought The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen on the way out of Half-Price Books when I was meeting an Internet friend for the first time. My only motivation, as I can recall, is that Sean Connery is in it, and I’ve liked his movies. Or, at least, I’ve liked him in his movies.

The premise, more or less, is that at the turn of the century, the world calls upon a group of extraordinary people—characters you’re sure to recognize from Victorian literature—with amazing gifts to discourage a new and dangerous threat. Having watched it, I have to say, it was kind of like Victorian Avengers.

I mean, between a hulking strongman, a mysterious widow, an anachronistic “angel,” a science whiz with an iron ride, a guy who’s always watching, a foreign warrior, and a grizzled leader to bind them all together, you have the cast of both movies.

I’m not going to say more because I think it’s fun determine all the characters yourself, but it did make me think: if I could pick any seven YA protagonists and one villain for them to conquer, who would they be?

via Goodreads

1. Artemis Fowl

Admittedly, the books are a little more MG, but he’s well into his teens by the time the series ends, so it counts. His skill at planning and winning his battles would be incredibly valuable, and I would want his genius saving the world’s butt. (And, of course, with him comes Butler and the power of the fairies, so I don’t see any downsides to that arrangement.)

via Goodreads

2. Linh Cinder

Well, we all needs a gadgets girl. If she could keep us from having technical problems with our getaway car, that would be great. Also, she can keep weapons in her limbs, if she needs to defend herself.

via Goodreads

3. Horace Altman

Okay, maybe not the main character, but Horace is really good at just beating people up and that is what I need at the moment. He’s a logical thinker, a skilled fighter, and a capable team worker, and those are all things I want in at least one male character on this team.

via Goodreads

4. Princess Cimorene

Sure, she’s a princess, but she’s not afraid to adventure, to use a sword, or to cart around water with soap and lemon to defeat wizards. She’s incredibly resourceful, brave, and determined, and she wears dresses without looking gaudy.

via Goodreads

5. Connor Lassiter

Connor is impulsive, but he also works as a good leader and a person who can see his goals through if he needs to. He makes lots of sacrifices, he shows a lot of courage, and even though he might screw up from time to time he has his heart in a good place.

via Goodreads

6. Tally Youngblood

It’s only fair that we have a girl who’s good at beating people up, too. And she’d make a pretty good spy. And, if every team requires a widow, she did lose a love quite a while ago, and I’m sure her emotional instability would be interesting for us all.

via Goodreads

7. Otto Malpense

Okay, he’s an Alpha, he can control computers with his brain, he’s a planner, an inventor, and a good leader. And if he weren’t so attached to the people he works with and perhaps gained an ounce of humility (why stop there, even?) I would be fully confident he could win any battle.

And the villain?

via Goodreads

Isabel Kabra

Now, this is back to MG, but even despite my love of so many terrifying villains in YA and above, there’s something about Isabel Kabra that would challenge even the heroes I’ve listed above. She’s powerful enough to impede Otto, heartless enough to challenge Tally, organized enough to thwart Connor, determined enough to match Cimorene, fearsome enough to battle Horace, connected enough to disarm Cinder, and cruel enough to overpower Artemis.

I’m still of that party who refuses to acknowledge any books that came after Vespers Rising, and I haven’t read the books for years, and goshdarnit YA is just better. And yet, here I am, picking Isabel over any other villain in YA I can think of.

Why? Because every other villain I can think of has a limit. Governments are bound by the public and their image. Individuals are bound by their consciences and their abilities. Teams are bound by loyalty and morality and so on and so forth.

And Isabel has none of that. She is feared, she is powerful, and I have every confident she is capable of giving the team I picked a run for their money.

Oh, can you feel the fan fiction burning?

If you could pick any YA protagonists to form a superhero team, who would you pick? Which villain would you ask them to go up against?

10 comments :

  1. I would be on a team with Artemis Fowl any day of the week. He's such a great main character in that series. Perfect for this sort of job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Artemis would see you through to the end, no? I agree, I think he'd be great at almost anything! Except, you know... marathons, etcetera.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read Artemis Fowl, but now I'm curious. I would definitely choose Cinder for my team. Maybe Ender from Ender's Game. Harry and Hermione(why not both?), Enna from Enna Burning, Celaena from Throne of Glass(although I don't much like her, she would definitely kick butt), and Lia from the River of Time series for her archery skills(only because Katniss's personality would clash with...others'). The villain part is harder, though. But, seriously, who couldn't I defeat with my dream team?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you should definitely try Artemis Fowl! Ender, Harry, and Hermione are all excellent choices, and I wouldn't fault you on any of those picks! I don't know the others, but it sounds like you could easily take out the villains of your choice!

      Delete
  3. Ah, Isabel Kabra... the most terrifying of villains, for sure. I'm not sure who my money's on here, to be honest. I would like to know who would win, the protagonists or the villains. (she says as she surreptitiously puts money on Isabel)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, agreed! XD But, you know... the thing about protagonists is that luck seems to bend in their favor, eh? :)

      Delete
  4. Bringing back Isabelle Kabra from my childhood OMG. These protags sound awesome! A lot of them are from my childhood, such as Artemis Fowl and I LOVE Cinder so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's an incredible villain, no? Artemis Fowl and Cinder would make quite a team, I think!

      Delete
  5. Give me Team Artemis any day. Oh, and Perry Jackson. Maybe Katniss Everdeen too. And finally, Todd from the Chaos Walking trilogy.
    And make them go against the Joker. He is my favourite villain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter Johnson? Don't know what he'd be good for! (Just kidding, lol.) But those sound like great ideas—and against the Joker? That would be an incredible battle!

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!