Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Would You Rather Tag

Our stately friend Brett from the blog he named after himself tagged me for a game of Would You Rather! True to myself, there’s no way I can answer the questions in Brett’s minimalistic fashion, but maybe we’ll have fun anyway.

Stack of Old Books
Flickr Credit: Austin Kirk

1. Read only trilogies or stand-alones? 

Trilogies. I’ve never really been a stand-alone kind of girl. BROADEN MY WORLD.

2. Read only female or male authors? 

What kind of question is that? Like, is it meant to suggest that the quality of writing varies depending on the presence of a Y-chromosome, or that the genre I prefer is most written by one or the other? Well, dear question, you are WRONG. I like books by both. I refuse to accept your hypothetical situation.

3. Shop at Barnes & Noble or Amazon? 

Amazon. I don’t have to talk to anybody! And you don’t have to buy just books! And they get shipped to your house! Unless you ordered Six of Crows! And then the other two books won’t come to your house until October! Even though they BOTH CAME OUT LIKE LAST MONTH! And you can’t change your order preference! But still. Amazon selection’s better.

4. All books become movies or TV shows? 

Seeeeeee. Only Sith deal in the absolute, and this question is similarly evil to #2, because it removes context and I am not Immanuel Kant which means yes, I care. A Song of Ice and Fire would probably have suffered as a movie franchise, and Harry Potter would probably have suffered as a TV show, as would have even shorter series like Hunger Games, Twilight, etcetera. It depends on the setup and style of the writer, and so I find this hypothetical situation also against my preferences.

5. Read 5 pages per day or 5 books per week? 

Five pages a day… yeah… I mean it would suck but it would be easier.

6. Be a professional reviewer or author? 

Reviewer, but not for books. It would be super fun to get to see shows on stage and review them. (But it’s not a job I’ll go for. I’m probably too nice, and my writing skills would not serve me in that situation.)

7. Only read your top 20 favorite books over and over or always read new ones that you haven’t read before? 

Top 20 favorite books over and over. It’s kind of like what I do anyway… Kind of.

8. Be a librarian or book seller? 

Book seller. You don’t need a degree in library science to be a book seller.

9. Only read your favorite genre, or every genre except your favorite? 

My favorite genre, if I knew what its name was.

10. Only read physical books or eBooks? 

As much as I like eBooks and the ease they bring to my reading life, physical books are better, for two reasons. 1) spacial awareness, 2) you can flip to read the end more easily. It’s an annoying hassle on my Kindle.

And, that is that! Thanks to Brett again for the game, and I shall tag Monty Python style: Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three.


All right, why don’t you answer a would-you-rather from the list above? How would you respond?


20 comments :

  1. Heather, I don't know where you get this talent, but you make me laugh so hard. "the blog he named after himself" XD Also I love how you reject either-or questions so well, normally by mashing them together or refusing to accept the hypothetical situations. I'm tempted to tag you in all the things.

    But like you say, ONLY the Sith deal in absolutes. Wait. That means ... I'm a Sith? *flashes triple-bladed lightsaber*

    Well, yes, I can see why you'd prefer a physical book, since you do have this habit of reading the end first. Here's an either/or question for you: be forced to know the ending of every book or never be able to even predict a single future detail?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD I think it is a combination of being my father's daughter and the general weirdness I have gained as a result of living. But yes, I do enjoy rejecting assumptions and challenging situations. It is not always the best policy, but it is a policy. I do all the tags, though, so there is plenty more to be seeing. :D

      I think I am a Sith sometimes, and that is okay with me. But I would rather have a white lightsaber. I have never seen one, but it would still be cool. And maybe bright.

      I do not read the end totally first. Usually I read the end in the middle. But... I would much rather be forced to know the ending of every book than never predict a future single detail. It would take some of the spirit of reading away, but it would be better.

      Delete
  2. Nice tag Heather. I'd have to go for librarian over book seller, because you give people books for FREE. How cool is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true, it is FREE and that is good. It is also just disappointing to me because you get paid not that much money for having much, much, much school.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for tagging me! I have so many tags it's crazy, so there's a fairly certain chance I'll forget, but if I get inspired I'll do it. xD
    And some of these questions are evil. Five pages a day or five books a week? GOSH. I don't think I could stand five pages a day, especially when I'm reading an insanely good book, but five books a week is crazy. These questions are so hard to answer. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, we can get tagged out the wazoo sometimes, eh? If you do decide to do it, please send me the link so I can be sure to check it out!

      I books a week is definitely crazy, and yeah, they would suck. But, fortunately, it IS just a game, so you don't have to worry about it as an actual event. :)

      Delete
  4. Hey Heather, thanks for taking part in the tag! Apparently I'm a stately minimalist? I think that sounds like a good thing! :D

    And YES these questions are *super* difficult to answer - BUT, it was such a fun tag! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks for tagging me! And yes, yes you are, but it is indeed a good thing! Characterizes you as a blogger and all that jazz.

      You're absolutely right! Hard but fun. Yay. :)

      Delete
  5. This was great, Heather! You have a very compelling style of humorous writing. I would probably go for the rereading one- I think- because I do like to reread. The tough part would be what twenty books are my favourite. Choices and superlatives are difficult. I have Six of Crows placed on hold at the library (the digital one, that is) so I can read it the MOMENT it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do my best, haha. I like rereading too, but I know what you mean. There are so many good books worth rereading! Maybe if it were expanded to series, I could live with that, or authors. I know what you mean about Six of Crows; I have it on preorder and so even if it's not the exact instant, it will still be soon! :D

      Delete
  6. Interesting questions! I'm glad that they're not actually real-life scenarios. Some days I only read five pages, so I think I'd be okay with that option.

    I love buying books on Amazon, but I always feel bad for not going to the local bookstores we have here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean; I read only five pages some days too, but other times I like to have the freedom to just blast through, if you know what I mean.

      I feel bad, too, but there isn't always as good of a selection. And you have to go outside. It's a deal-breaker.

      Delete
  7. HAha! You cheated at so many of these would you RATHERS. ;-) But fair enough. I don't like the male vs female question either...half the time I don't even notice the gender of the author until after I've finished the book. (Although sometimes I can tell when it's a guy for some reason. *shrugs* But it doesn't change my enjoyment level.) ANYWAY. I would read 5 books a week. I do. xD And I would read only new books, because rereading is the bane of my existence as is! I want to reread, but the shiny new pretties always distract me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a cheater, this is true. I don't notice the gender often, either, but I think that sometimes authors get typecast in their books, which isn't cool. I know you read five new books a week, and that's good for you. XD I don't always see them as shiny, so that's where our perspectives change.

      Delete
  8. Heather, I'm loving every single one of your answers because you managed to evade them without simply flat out refusing and that, is some talent XD 5 pages a day...it depends on whether it's assigned reading (which I don't know, makes my brain shut down for some weird reason and generally tends to make life much harder) so I think I'd go with 5 books. BUT TIME.

    The male/female author questions sucks. You can't really judge someone's talent by their gender?! I agree with you there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD It is a talent I'd like to develop further. Realize my secret dreams of becoming a politician. Just kidding! Anyway, yes, it's hard to fit in all the reading with the rest of the things you want to do, and that definitely makes it hard.

      And yes. I mean, I understand in principle how the game works but sometimes I have to challenge the validity of the construed ideas...

      Delete
  9. This is a tough tag... I would definitely prefer physical books to e books, even if they're heavy. Female authour, I guess, but I think that might be because there are more female ya authors I can think of. I was reading this newspaper article which said you can tell if someone is feminist by looking at the gender of the authors of their books, which seems a bit unfair. Some of those answers were avoided well... I hate would you rather, it's just so hard! I would read 5 books a week, if I had the time, but I read in waves, sometimes a lot, sometimes hardly any. I guess it depends on schoolwork. Anyway, I liked this tag <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not alone in that boat; many readers don't like eBooks! There are more female YA authors, I think, but I agree, it's definitely unfair. I mean, a feminist should like both male AND female authors because they'd enjoy both genders equally. I know what you mean about reading in waves, though. That's how it is for me, sometimes, too. Thanks for reading, Shar!

      Delete
  10. Oh now this is a fun tag! I hadn't seen it around before and it is all so NEW. Okay, so I would always read new books, because otherwise I'd never find my favourites and I'd never get to read the new releases from my favourite authors, and eventually I'd probably get sick of my favourites and that would be absolutely unthinkable. And I'd have to go for 5 books a week. 5 Pages is just not nearly enough to satisfy me. And presumably in hat scenario I'd have super reading skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, well I am glad to have provided you with something NEW. :D That's true about always having to read new books, and it would keep you reading. I'd probably only read my favorites and then not read them. I don't know if you get super reading skills, but I'd certainly hope so!

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!