Tuesday, June 30, 2015

How to Get Through the TBR Pile

Books
Flickr Credit: henry...
If you’re like me you have a pile of books that you own but still need to read, and an even longer list of books you don’t own but still need to get through.

Slowly, but surely, we get through those TBRs, and I have condensed the process into an easy 14-step process. Observe:

1. read lots of book blogs 
2. keep track of the list
3. forget to look at the list and go to the library/bookstore and come home with 18 books you’ve never heard of before
4. watch Netflix for 11 hours.
5. remember that you haven’t finished that book from three months ago so half-heartedly flip through the last pages
6. make a snack
7. take a shower
8. spend some time writing, doing homework, shopping for groceries, and oh look, there’s a sale at Target
9. remove a book from the top of the pile and set it on your bed 
10. put the book on the floor so the laptop can be on the bed
11. look at Pinterest until kingdom come
12. wait for the power to go out
13. find a flashlight
14. oh yeah, I have a TBR list. Better wait until the power comes back on so I can go on book blogs for some great recs!

And that is basically how reading books works. It’s a bit more labor-intensive than the regular way, but I’m pretty sure you will have quite a time getting through your TBR list with these simple tips.

In all seriousness, what are some tips for getting through a TBR list? Or, better, how do you avoid digging into it?

12 comments :

  1. This is exactly how I read...and I should be feeling a lot more guilty about that. My TBR on Goodreads has something like 200 books and is nowhere near done--not that a TBR list is ever done. Thanks for such a great (and honest) post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD It was not meant to be a fictional piece. But the truth is, if you ever run out of books to read, it will be a sad day indeed! Thanks for stopping by, Alex!

      Delete
  2. Precisely! I think TBR lists are meant to be never ending and eternal. The faster you read the quicker it grows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds about right! I think it was Lemony Snicket who said, "I will probably die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read."

      Delete
  3. I love this! Because. . . It's true. Especially the pinterest and the library visit. It feels so good to walk in your room with a towering arm load of books and dump them all on the bed. But how do you actually read all those?! I haven't figured that out yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There seems to be a general consensus of that truth. I myself am a Pinterest and library aficionado, so those are very personal elements of the list for me. :) It's nice to have the books, even if you don't read them.

      Delete
  4. Those tips are the bomb dot com. :') I have a TBR list of 55 or so books (says Goodreads...but Goodreads doesn't know all). Usually I prioritize which books I want to read first. See, this is serious business. >:) But a TBR list is like a chocolate cake: you can't gobble it up fast enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I have a very long TBR as well, and I definitely put desire first! And that's another thing about chocolate cake—you always want more!

      Delete
  5. HAHAHAA...yes. Omg, grrr...TBRs can be such tricky little beasts. But they're clever, I mean, I can fully just ignore it for one day and -- BOOM -- it explodes with books I swear I have no idea how got there. Mine is (semi?) manageable right now. I mean, there's 10 books on it, but none of them have deadlines I specifically HAVE to meet (except one, and it's not till August) SO I FEEL LIKE A FREE READER. And instead of "fixing this" with a trip to the library (har harhar) I'm actually going to focus on writing for a bit. xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? They seem to grow of their own accord, and somehow appear without help! Mine is mostly made up of twenty or so books in my room I need to take care of, but I don't know if I'll feel like picking them up soon or not. I hope you have a good time writing instead of reading for a while!

      Delete
  6. I love this this, especially 'forget to look at the list and go to the library/bookstore and come home with 18 books you’ve never heard of before' because I do that all the time xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD That's good—I do it too! Thanks for reading, Opal!

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!