Monday, June 22, 2015

How Do You Use Twitter?

Twitter icon for a fluid app
Flickr Credit: Miha Filej
I’ll admit, for a long time I didn’t think I would like Twitter. Turns out that 140 characters can go a long way and it’s a surprisingly easy way to keep track of a lot of cool folks all at the same time. I will also admit that I am not very good at using it—I’m a newbie, and while other people do cool things, I don’t really.

I mean, I know to do some basic stuff.


1. Share Your Work and Others’

This I like to do quite a bit. It’s easy to share my own stuff and share/retweet other people’s work as well! On that note, I follow a lot of people who share a lot of stuff with me, so I’m also privileged to run into a lot of other awesome stuff!

2. Chat

I’ve really enjoyed participating in the Ch1Con Twitter chats on Wednesday nights the last few months. I find it really invigorating to be able to talk to like-minded people, and chatting is more or less my primary mode of friendship. Of course, events like Ch1Con aren’t where I tend to make my friends, but it is an effective medium to keep in constant contact with my friends (especially DMing).

3. Follow People

At first I was leery of following random people, but I’ve since learned that Twitter is not a replace-face-to-face-relationships site, but more like an information-sharing site. By following a lot of new and interesting people, I’m exposed to new blogs, news, sales, and more! It opens a lot of opportunities, and it also keeps me open to a lot of new perspectives I see out there.

4. Build Relationships

Now, this isn’t the kind of site that replaces actually hanging out, and I think that’s okay. However, it does put you in contact with a lot of people, and it’s a lot easier to give people shout-outs without looking weird. Again, sharing people’s stuff or attending to tweets helps open up a relationship, which may help you strike up a greater conversation at some other point.

So, that’s pretty much all I know about Twitter. Everything I know in 268 words. However, I’m also aware that other people have these other, super interesting and effective ways to use Twitter. And so, that is why I shall ask now.

How do you use Twitter?

As you can see, I have a pretty limited knowledge-base, so I’m open to all the ways you’ve used Twitter. How do you connect with people? What do you usually tweet? And, if you want, what’s your Twitter handle? I’m always looking for new and awesome people to follow.

14 comments :

  1. I actually don't have a Twitter account because I'm not allowed to have much social media access, but I really want to get an account one day. It seems like a great platform for forming professional relationships and finding new opportunities, as well as finding and sharing content. I feel like my Twitter feed would probably be really confusing, though, because it would probably be both tech heavy and writing/book heavy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I'm sorry. I guess all I can say is it gets easier when you're a legal adult? XD I definitely think people have done a good job of making professional connections, as well as the other things you said. To be honest, I think it wouldn't have to be super confusing. I mean, I follow a bunch of humor feeds as well as writers and readers, and I'm not that confused. Also, I think there's an option where you can group people you follow together? I haven't investigated, but it could be a possibility.

      Delete
  2. Personally, I LOVE Twitter. I think in little bite-sized chunks and I'm good at summing things up, so it's just my speed, and I like how accessible and fast it is, and how it makes it so simple to interact with others in a fun way. I like to use it to find other writers like me, or follow my favorite authors and see what they're up to, and it's awesome knowing there's a community there to support you when you have writing woes. Sure, it has its ups and downs, but the people I've found have all been very fun and kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'm glad you like it. :) I like that it's super fast, too, and it's a very simple interaction medium, like you said. I like following writers, bloggers, and authors too, but I also like following humor feeds. I don't think I've really been in the community as of yet, but maybe soon.

      Delete
  3. I'm really loving Twitter, though I put off getting one for a long time. I finally gave in and got one when I started my blog. Now I use it for personal and promotional use. It's really great for connecting with lots of different people, though you may get a few...odd...followers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're liking it! You can definitely have some weird people follow you, but again, it's not like Facebook where it's intended to share a bunch of super-super personal stuff—the point is to get out a message, and get it out fast!

      Delete
  4. Wow! I didn't even know that about Twitter. You definitely knew more than me. I just kind of thought it was like another Facebook kind of thing. But it sounds like it has more networking advantages to it. I have no idea if I really want another social media account to up keep though. :P Then again, I've mostly disappeared from Facebook. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, definitely not. I think Facebook is intended for a much more reserved audience than Twitter! It definitely has networking advantages, and I'd definitely think about it, even if it's not something you're interested in right now.

      Delete
  5. I actually don't have twitter, although I've heard that it's useful for blogging and other things. I find Facebook pretty distracting, even though I try to limit my time on it. I might think about getting one but I find I have enough distractions on the internet already, especially when I'm trying to blog or write emails. Good to know it's useful though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very much useful, although you can also get lost on it for hours. Facebook is my own pleasure... which I also use too much, but I find them both interesting and good places to connect with businesses.

      Delete
  6. I love twitter because I get to share and learn about lots of great content from around the internet as well as connect with the creators of that content. It is a great tool for bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! You get to learn and you tweet, and that's about the best you can ask for! :)

      Delete
  7. I had twitter back in 2013, but I didn't like it much. It was probably because hardly anyone I knew back then used it. I also didn't have a lot of people to follow. :P Reading your post makes me want to try it again. :')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, yeah. I think all social media sites can be hard to enjoy if you don't know anyone else. The exceptions would be things like Youtube or Pinterest, where the point is to interact with something other than people. If you try it again, let me know how it goes!

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!