Saturday, June 20, 2015

Bloodlines: Who's Your Daddy?

Palas Atenea, Louvre, Paris.
Flickr Credit: purolipan

I realized on Thursday night I hadn’t scheduled the Fangirl post for today, which is a terrifying concept in itself—in last week’s poll, you picked BLOODLINES, which is what I was hoping for. Today’s fandom is Percy Jackson and the Olympians, and no one wanted it two weeks ago, and I put a whole lot of work into that project, so it is definitely for sure getting posted.

This post springs from a question that plagued me throughout my adoration of PJO: Who would my godly parent be?

I took many quizzes and soul-searched and asked people’s opinions all over the place to decide that I didn’t think Athena was my godly parent, and I really, really wanted Hades to be. He was my favorite god, why didn’t I ever get him? Now I have a better understanding of why.

The quizzes tended to ask about your likes, dislikes, hobbies, even your favorite drink. There’d be twelve different answers, from water to milk to the blood of your enemies (hi Ares) and based on those preferences it would spit out a name you weren’t sure you liked.

That’s the problem: preference-based questions. The fact that you like a thing says little more than the obvious: you like it. For example, I love my dad, and he loves me, and I’d say we get along well. However, when it comes to eating eggs, my dad always pulls out Tabasco sauce. I do not—I am not a Tabasco person at all. Now, I know what you’re thinking—how could my parents still be married when I’m clearly the product of a disgusting and traitorous affair?!

Well, I’m not. Whether you like putting Tabasco on your eggs or drinking milk, it doesn’t really reflect what your parents have passed on to you. Some preferences are genetic, some are your own, but overall, I think there’s a reason paternity tests aren’t run primarily through Quibblo. Your parents rub off on you, sometimes a lot, sometimes not. My (mortal) parents endowed my sisters and me with a value for good finance, hard work, education, and our faith—you’ll also notice all four of us are VERY different people.

And that’s the thing: there shouldn’t be a different answer for every god or goddess to determine your godly parent. Many gods had the same perspectives and values, none of which had to do with eye color. My theory is that your godly parent would be better revealed through value-alignment, splitting the gods into groups and narrow down the suspects from there.

Hence, the flowchart. Using a dichotomous system, I have made not the best way to determine your godly parent, but I think the best one I’ve ever seen.

At the very least, it doesn’t ask you what your favorite drink is.

Your Options:

1) Finagle with your browser to make the image big enough to read; if you'd like you can save it and enlarge it on a photo-viewing program, or whatever.

2) Visit the Piktochart link and see it big within your web browser before you get frustrated and tired.

3) Do one or the other, but be sure you don't overthink it. I used a lot of fancy words because I didn't have a lot of space. And remember the black pictures are part of the key below. And I'm here to answer questions. (I don't think I should make more tests, but I did this so I'm going to see it through.)

The choice is yours.

PHOTO SOURCES: PBS Kids, Clker, Image Soup


I took three preference-based quizzes; they say my godly parent would be Athena, Poseidon, or Hephaestus. According to my flowchart, my godly parent would be Ares. I think he suits me much better! Who did you get? Do you think you have the same values?


We'll switch it up again! This time, pick the desired fandom!

24 comments :

  1. Wow! This infographic thing is so in depth and...I LOVE IT. I've never read the Percy Jackson books, so I can't say that I'm part of the fandom, but I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed this quiz. I think you really hit the nail on the head here when you said that parental quizzes should be based on values instead of preferences. I am very different from my parents in preferences, but are values are strikingly similar. I value my faith, my strong beliefs, my schoolwork, my family and friends, and my independence just as my parents do. I ended up getting Hermes for the quiz, which I think fits me very well. Great job with the quiz, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I had a lot of fun making it! And I actually didn't design the quiz to be Percy Jackson specific, per se. My descriptions are a little closer to actually Greek Mythology. And your anecdote perfectly illustrates the point—people can like different things and yet feel the same way. And, I think Hermes is a great parent for you! :D Thanks for reading, Ana.

      Delete
  2. OOH YAY, INFOGRAPHICS. I'm apparently descended from Artemis, which is absolutely true. Get on my bad side and I will END YOU. *cue Imperial March* *coughs* Pardon me. And OMG, I love this bit: "I tell you all the answers you just picked but with different words." But sometimes asking the questions is more important than having the answers, no? Anyhow, this was a lovely post, even if you tricked us into picking it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay infographics getting posted, in my case. XD I feel like I could have pegged you as an Artemis person, heh. Not just ending people of course, but your matter-of-factness and loyalties that you show on your blog. :) I like how you spun that... Sometimes asking those questions IS more important, and I like that! *feels more justified in this post now* And thank you for being graceful about me tricking you into this post. XD

      Delete
  3. Apparently my godly parent is Dionysus, which is just perfect: Mr. D. is one of my favorite characters from the books. Fantastic quiz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *high fives* Go Cabin 12! I'm glad you liked your parent. :)

      Delete
  4. I nominated you for the Liebster award! I hope you can join!!
    https://abookishflower.wordpress.com/2015/06/20/the-liebster-award/

    I love that flow chart thingie! It's amazingly amazing. I made it about half way through before getting distracted. I'm going to go back and finish it... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for tagging me, Daisy! I'll get to it soon!

      Let me know what you got when you finish it!

      Delete
  5. Heather, that was so much fun! I admittedly don't know anything about Percy Jackson, and very little about Greek gods, but I just love how in-depth this was! I got Demeter, and I guess I'm kind of like her, but I'm not entirely sure how much, yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm glad it was fun! I'm very much into mythology and can't imagine not knowing about it, but I forgive you of it. XD But, if you'd like a little insight into Demeter's values, I'd say that she values hard work, devotion to family, and life. Sound like you?

      Delete
  6. This is such a detailed post! Wow! I made a flowchart for a post and it took FOREVER, so I appreciate the work you put into this.However, I have not read the Percy Jackson books so I can't appreciate it fully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you, because I am not going to lie and say it didn't take me a long time. It took me a really, really long time. But I was happy with the result. It's not really Percy Jackson specific; he was just the ignition, I suppose. It's mostly just Greek Mythology!

      Delete
  7. Awesome quiz! And you made a really good point in your post: likes and dislikes really don't show much about who your parents would be. Incidentally, I'm apparently either a daughter of Hera or Athena. I always thought Athena, though, so I guess I'll go with that. :D


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *fist pump* I did think that was rather wise of me, heh. I could definitely see you being a daughter of Hera or Athena, both with the family values you show on your blog and the insights you give, especially into writing. Both are great options!

      Delete
  8. I LOVE YOUR CHART. And your point about what you like and dislike meaning nothing about your parents is so true. I am not like my parents at all xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU I LIKE IT TOO. XD But yeah, we do have our differences with our parents—we're not just miniature versions of them!

      Delete
  9. Your infographic is rad. >:) But yeah actually it makes a whole lot more sense than most quizzes because, you're right, they shouldn't be so preference based. I got Athena which made me quite happy, since she was literally born a warrior (more like sprouted from a head than born but). Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's nice to think that we all have many similarities more than we do differences, and it's those small differences that define us. That's the way it works with DNA, anyway. Congrats on getting Athena! She's definitely a cool goddess.

      Delete
  10. This makes much much much much more sense than any other quiz I've taken for determining one's mythological godly parent.

    I did it twice because I couldn't decide between the top two questions, and got Hades first and then Hestia. Either of these make a lot of sense, but I'm still opting for Hades because I love him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent; I love when I'm not confusing and can do stuff right!

      Hades and Hestia are both cool, and I think they're both very similar gods and goddesses, as they go! They're the oldest boy and girl of the bunch, they're leaders, but they're also some of the most ignored and feared members. (But, I love Hades a lot too, so I can't blame you for picking him.)

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Glad you think so! Thanks for reading, Ashley. :)

      Delete
  12. Oh wow, that quiz was really fun! I haven't read Percy Jackson (lie, I read half of the first book but wasn't getting the amazing vibes and haven't been inclined to go back into the world) and don't really understand that element of it, but I love greek mythology and so I understand the importance of the gods and certain elements as to what they represent. It really interests me, that, and so of course I was up for that quiz. I'd done it before I knew I was halfway through!
    Apparently my godly parent would be Hestia. I don't know anything about her, apart from what the chart told me in a brief sentence, but my answers assumedly mean that she and I would be soul mates.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that's okay. It really is more Greek Mythology based, rather than Rick Riordan's interpretation of the gods specifically. I'm glad you took it! Hestia is definitely a cool goddess, and worth looking up. She doesn't have the most exciting roles, but when I think of her, I do think of a certain role she had in the myth of Pandora... That was a good one. :)

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!