Wednesday, June 10, 2015

777 Challenge

The ever-so-lovely Jameson of Lovely Whatsoevers has tagged me for the 777 Challenge! (It’s cool because it’s like blogging AND writing at the same time.)

7
Flickr Credit: Susan Murtaugh
Here’s how it works:

Go to page 7 of your work-in-progress, scroll down to line 7, and share the next 7 lines in a blog post. Once finished, tag 7 bloggers to do the writing challenge themselves on their own blog.

As I write this, I’ve just been to a day of writer’s workshops that makes me realize that in my active current WIP, I need to rewrite the beginning so that one (or two) of the characters who is dead is actually alive and one (or two…) of the characters that are alive are actually dead, and I haven’t decided which is which yet.

That being said, I haven’t decided what I’m going to do with the seventh page yet and it may get moved around very soon, so I am going to my inactive current WIP, which I’m hoping to work on all of July.

It’s totally out of context and only 0.66% of the entire WIP (of 17,000 words). If I did it to my active current WIP, it would be 0.16% (of 69,000 words). So, in a way, you’re getting a little more bang for your buck with this version.

“Let’s not worry about that right now,” Silverhand replied. “For now, let’s just focus on getting the girl to the fairy, and with any luck we’ll be able to cure Derren and it will be like this never happened.” 
They were silent for a few minutes, so I continued forward and slid into the enclose, balancing the clothes precariously.  
“Here,” I said, passing Bai her share of the clothes. “I hope they fit.” 
“It would be incredibly surprising if they did,” Silverhand said, and he smirked at me, as if he knew. Perhaps he did, I thought. I didn’t like the thought of that at all, but Bai didn’t seem to recognize our silent battle.

Ta-da.

And now I shall challenge you people!


(And by the way, don’t let me throw off your groove—if you want to do this tag, feel free to steal it! It’s just that those are seven people who I know are writers and I have their urls memorized.)

Let’s mix it up: if you were going to describe your WIP in seven words, what words would you use? (I think I would say “magical accountant sucks less than people think.”) Describe yours to me!

15 comments :

  1. Ooh, this really IS a super fun tag. And I'm probably reading your extract wrong, but there are clothes and there is a battle and there is Silverhand who I like already on the virtue of a great name. That sounds about right? :P Oh, and also a girl with a suspiciously Chinese name.

    I'm so flattered that you have my URL memorised :D I'll definitely do this at some point! (But probably not until after I have a new WIP, because I have talked WTA to death on the blog.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fun idea, no? There are indeed clothes, battles, and Silverhand, which is another seven words to describe the story. XD The battles are of varying degrees, and Silverhand is of varying importance, but that sums it up. And you're right! It should be suspiciously Chinese, though, because her country is suspiciously Chinese. (As in, it's an alternate world, but she's going to come from alternate China, if I can work up the research.)

      Delete
    2. Oops, didn't reply to the second bit! I have a lot of urls memorized, lol. XD But I look forward to seeing a new WIP, because it is sure to be fun!

      Delete
  2. I love your seven word summary! I would definately read a book like that. :) And I'm intrigued by your snippet. :D Thanks so much for tagging me! I will definately do this for my next blog post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Maybe someday you will read a book like that. I look forward to seeing your snippet soon! :D

      Delete
  3. Oo, this sounds interesting! (So does that mean the narrator is a girl disguised as a guy?? Conflict all around!)

    Okay, sorry.

    I love going to writers workshops! I remember the first time I went to a writing conference; it was information overload! My writing changed immediately. My style, the way I wrote, the scenes, everything. I could probably go back to my WIP of that time and point out exactly when I came back from the conference just by reading the difference in the scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you think so! She's "the girl" Silverhand is discussing, but that entails plenty of conflicts without help!

      They're awesome, right? I've never been to a writing conference, but maybe someday I will have writing friends to go with. :D That's so cool that it made such a difference, for you! I hope your writing continues to have such drastic growth as you keep writing!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the tag - and you have my URL memorized? Aww! :D I like the sound of your WIP - an intriguing seven words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD As I told Alyssa, I have a lot of urls memorized. XD But I do like your blog, so there you go. Thanks for reading, Brett!

      Delete
  5. Your 7 words describing your WIP, plus the extract?! When do we get more? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD You like it, eh? Probably once I start editing, lol. But, since I have decided it shall be my July project, you'll probably hear more about it soon!

      Delete
  6. Wow, somehow I did not even see that you tagged me for this! Still not sure when I'll get to it, but thanks for the tag! Hopefully, I'll get around to it eventually :)


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com
    verbositybookreviews.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing your snippet when you get around to it. Thanks for reading, Alexa!

      Delete
    2. Finally did the challenge, if you wanna check it out! Sorry it took me so long!
      http://thessalexa.blogspot.com/2015/07/tag-week-777-challenge.html

      Delete
    3. Thanks for updating me! I certainly liked seeing your snippets. Thanks for sharing. :)

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!