Wednesday, May 13, 2015

The Cake Tag

The wonderful Shanti at Weaving Waves Words and the glorious Alyssa of The Devil Orders Takeout were awesome and tagged me for the Cake Tag! Who does not love cake, I ask you? (Nobody here, I assure you.) Without further ado… your cake books.


Flour

~a book that started slowly and turned out amazingly~


Let’s see. The Dirty Parts of the Bible by Sam Torode. I remember reading it while I was waiting for my visit to a cadaver lab with my science class—it almost seemed like staring at the coffee shop would be more interesting than the book.

Boy, was I wrong. To be totally honest, this might be the best book I’ve read so far this year. I thought it was a really interesting religious interpretation and designed beautiful, dirty, honest truths about life that are totally worth remembering. 

(Also, by the way, if the title wasn’t clear—it’s an adult book. Just warning you. But, if it makes you feel better, the main character can’t help but curse like a Baptist, but we all need practice.)


Butter

~a book with an incredibly detailed and rich plot~


This one, I might say Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge. To be fair, I can’t help but get over psychological perspective and the romance and the awesome worldbuilding. Just, love. 


Eggs

~a book that you thought you would dislike, but was actually amazing~


HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. This is why this is funny. Any book that has ever claimed to be my favorite book was once a book I was completely positive I would hate. This is a fact. Here is a list of some books I thought I would hate:
  • Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
  • Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan
  • H.I.V.E. by Mark Walden
  • Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer
  • The Ranger’s Apprentice by John Flanagan
  • The Scarlet Trilogy by A.C. Gaughen
  • The Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini
  • The Twilight Saga by Stephanie Meyer
  • Mythic Misadventures by Carolyn Hennesy
  • The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer (seriously, I had to get stuck at an airport before I considered opening them)
  • The Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo
  • The Innocent by David Baldacci

Now, if we’ve discussed these books at all together, then you know I adore these books. They’re spectacular. I’d recommend any one of them. But I was so SURE I would hate them! You asked for an egg? Have a dozen.


Sugar

~a fluffy, sweet and fun book~


I will say Mothership for this one, because it’s a fun sci-fi chick lit book, but it’s also about motherhood and aliens taking over the world and taking responsibility for your future and achieving your dreams. 


Icing

~a book you will love forever and ever because it is (almost) perfect and fulfills your exacting requirements~


Twilight. I don’t know… As my butter might have indicated, I am a complete and total sap for religious allegories and I just die whenever I try to explore all the intricacies in the worldbuilding that have taken place. Just… DETAILS. DETAILS. DETAILS. 


Sprinkles

~a book that always cheers you up~


This is ironic, but if you put me with A Series of Unfortunate Events and a plate of cookies I will be as happy as a clam for hours.

~it's powder on a baked good what more do you want from me~

Baking Powder 

~a book you think is absolutely necessary for everyone to read~


I would say Unwind by Neal Shusterman, because, yes, it’s a captivating, awesome, gut-wrenching thriller and there will be people in the comments to back me up on this one (statistical likelihood, don’t fail me now) but it’s also about teenagers. 

Teenagers and us and not teenagers like us. Teenagers like us because they are like us—lives and boyfriends and girlfriends and sex and drugs and fear and craziness. But not like us, because other people determine how valuable their lives are.

In some ways, I feel like people have forgotten that teenagers can be pretty powerful, and we forget that even though we’re young, we’re people, too. We have responsibilities, we are stronger than we think, and we have to be ready, because people may try to make us think otherwise.


And Finally : Cherry on the Top

~your favorite book this year so far~


Aw, I’ve used up The Dirty Parts of the Bible, and Cruel Beauty. Hm. The Englishman Who Went Up A Hill and Came Down a Mountain.

The movie and the book… Just… HEARTS AND JOY. It makes me wish I were Welsh, and not just descended from Welsh people. Because it’s just so beautiful. The companionship! The determination! AND O’BRIEN FROM STAR TREK IS IN THE MOVIE. Telephone booths, cabbage… OH AND POTIPHAR FROM JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT IS IN THERE TOO.

Yeah. It’s good. Go read it.

(all images taken from Goodreads)
And there we have my cake of books. Thanks Shanti and Alyssa for the tag! 

What would some of your ingredients be? Share two in the comments! Or, even better, link me to your own post!

22 comments :

  1. I remember being pretty skeptical of Harry Potter before I read the first book--mostly because I saw the first movie when I was around five or six years old and it scared me to death. Once I actually started reading, I was hooked. I loved the Series of Unfortunate Events books, but I haven't reread them in awhile, and Percy Jackson is amazing, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was scared because of the movie too, but for one reason: I had only seen one scene of the movie, the scene in the dark forest with Voldemort. and every. stinkin'. time. we went to a hotel THAT WAS THE SCENE THAT WAS ON TV. To a young child, you could only assume Harry Potter was a horror novel. SoUE and PJO are yes, very good, but also books I haven't picked up in a long time. Thanks, Alex!

      Delete
  2. I have had Cruel Beauty on my TBR for too long. TOO LONG. This is true for half of my TBR books, and the other half are the ones that haven't been released yet. Your dozen eggs are oddly hilarious due to sheer volume.

    OMG, ASOUE is your sprinkles. I can't even. That book is so depressing but so hilarious at the same time. Seriously.

    Also, PERFECT gifs here. How did you even find them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, I hope you enjoy it! I guess I'm surprised, because it doesn't seem like the kind of book you would go for (and of course I am only basing that off of your book tags, so I don't know what I'm doing). But yeah, I have a lot of eggs in my life.

      XD I know. It's like, sad, but it's funny, so it makes me happy.

      One word: Pinterest.

      Delete
  3. This is such a fun idea for a tag. Mind if I steal it for my blog sometime? Also, I'm super intrigued by that Welsh book and the fact that you are of Welsh decent. SO COOL! It is kinda random, but I've been on a Welsh obsession lately. Not joke. Not kidding.... just blogged about 10 reasons everyone should move to Wales.

    Anyhow, now I am going to have to read that book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go ahead! I stole it from someone, too! (Or, I was tagged, but feel free to steal.) I am descended from like, eight different nationalities, though, so don't freak out. There's a lot more English in there, lol. But, I'm really interested in reading about Wales, and so I'll be stopping by!

      And yes. Honestly, you must. In all the ways.

      Delete
  4. I'm suprised you thought you were going to hate Harry Potter. But I also thought it would be overrated...AND THEN I READ IT. :D great cake gifs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read above for the full story, but from the clips I saw of the movie, I thought it was a horror series. Then it turned out to be sweet and fun! Thanks, Jo!

      Delete
  5. I second your opinion on Unwind! I listened to it on audio book earlier this year and it was great! So much more complex than I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's totally incredible and impressive, especially by the time you get to Undivided. That one just rips out your heart. <3

      Delete
  6. YOUR GIFS. They are perfection. I have read very few of the books you mentioned :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am sorry. :/ But, perhaps you shall read them later! Or not. Whatever you would like, that is okay. :D

      Delete
  7. YOUR GIFS ARE SO FABULOUS. thanks so much for doing this! I really enjoyed reading your answers. Mothership, Percy Jackson, Artemis Fowl and Cruel Beauty and Unwind are excellent books. I just read Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman and I reccommend it, though its very weird (the red squiggly lines are telling me that I need to learn how to spell recommend ). 2 questions: Have you read the entire Unwind dystology? How do you deal with Twilight haters in your life? (I'm a twilight ambivalent, if you were wondering. I read the last three books in three days when I was twelve but I've never seen the movies)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY. :D Thanks so much, Shanti! Challenger Deep was interesting, but I thought it was surprisingly easy to follow and very enjoyable at the end. I have read the entire Unwind dystology, and enjoyed it immensely, and as to Twilight haters... I don't know. I say, "This is what I like, and I don't care if you don't like that I like it." and then when they continue to focus on parts of the story they didn't like, I realize that they just want something to hate and not something to discuss, so I move on. (Well, if you like the books, you like the movies, but if you are ambivalent, I don't imagine you'd like the movies as much either.)

      Delete
  8. Yay! Yay cake! I'm not a twilight fan at all to be honest. And I found Unwind good but creepy, but the world it explored was incredible. I liked the gifs. I thought you didn't really like Harry Potter! Anyway, lovely tag... haha you got tagged twice... did that increase your motivation for it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay, Twilight isn't for everybody. I think Unwind was good because it was creepy; it wouldn't have been good if it didn't shake us at our foundations a little bit. I do like Harry Potter, actually! I just think I've read things that I enjoy a lot more than I do HP. I did get tagged twice, but that doesn't change my motivation; I always get tags done eventually, it just means I have more people to link to and thank by the end! :)

      Delete
  9. I'm generally an optimistic person when it comes to books (well, except required reading :|) so I'm often slightly surprised when people are wary of books, but I guess it depends on the concept and the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like we're opposites, then! I am incredibly wary of books, but I tend to trust that my required reading will be good! It does depend on a lot of factors, though, so I could see the potential hitches in that issue.

      Delete
  10. I loved the icing the cake GIF--I could probably watch it for hours, you know, if I didn't have anything better to do. And I'm with you on the Series of Unfortunate Events--those books are great. Like a mixture of depressants and warm fuzzies--or something like that. I think my sprinkles book would have to be FAHRENHEIT 451 by Ray Bradbury (though I wasn't exactly sure how I wanted to categorize it) because it is the most brilliant book ever, in my opinion. And for sugar, I'd have to say LOVE? MAYBE by Heather Hepler, mainly because I know the author. But seriously, this cake tag is a brilliant idea and I may consider doing something with it some point (because ha! who needs to be tagged?) when I've exhausted some of the other ideas I have lined up. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. It's just so smooth and beautiful. I want to have a cake icer and just make cakes so I could frost them again and again and again. *high fives for SoUE* They are great! I haven't read Fahrenheit 451, but I've enjoyed other Bradbury stories, so I will have to read that. I have never heard of Love? Maybe, but that is cool. I hope you do the cake tag—be sure to link me up when you post it! :D

      Delete
  11. TWILIGHT IS A RELIGIOUS ALLEGORY?!? HUH?!? I AM SUPREMELY CONFUSED RIGHT NOW. Anyways, I don't think I will ever read Twilight, but I do enjoy reading religious allegories and just complex stories in general. I like things that make me think, and complex stories do just that. They are also perfectly suited to rereading.

    Oh, and your gif usage in this post is on point. The first one is so funny that I had to look up a video of it. I found that it's actually baby powder, but hey, it looks like flour so it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I AM SUPREMELY NOT BUT I DON'T FEEL LIKE EXPLAINING IT IN A COMMENT IS THE MOST EFFICIENT USE OF MY TIME AND SO MAYBE I'LL MAKE A BLOG POST ABOUT IT SO THAT YOU CAN BE NOT CONFUSED AND I CAN NOT MAKE OFF THE CUFF REMARKS ON SOMETHING THAT WOULD PROBABLY GO BETTER IN LIST FORM.

      Religious allegories are totally great, though, and complex stories are totally awesome. :D That's just how I feel, though! If a story isn't complex and worth the reread, then I feel like I don't even want to read it the first time.

      Ooh, I didn't know that. XD But, you're right, it still looks like flour and I don't imagine getting it blown in your face is any more fun, so I guess it's still even. :)

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!