Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Courtship Tag

Mariella has tagged me for the Courtship Tag! On the one hand, I have serious problems with the idea of courtship in general, but book tags are fun. I will put aside my moral dilemmas for the time being, because that is what everyone does, I suppose. Let’s go.


Phase 1Initial Attraction: a book that you bought because of the cover


My mind is running a blank. It is pretty often that I will choose not to read a book because I dislike the cover, but it’s also very rare that I will ever buy a book because I like the cover. Like, I have to have heard good things about it and like the genre.

Phase 2First Impressions: a book that you got because of the summary

via Amazon
Okay, so Somebody Tell Aunt Tilly She’s Dead! by Christiana Miller was on sale and I thought the idea was funny and I bought it. Here is the summary (via Amazon):

A little magic can go a long way -- to really screwing up a girl's life! 
Mara is having the worst month of her life. At least, that's what her cards tell her and they've never been wrong. She's evicted from her apartment, loses her job and is banned from Beverly Hills. So when the tarot cards predict her imminent demise, she uses a little magic to make her world right. 
Suddenly, an aunt she's never met dies, leaving Mara as her sole heir. But when Mara moves into her inherited home, she discovers Aunt Tillie never moved out. She's still one pissed-off old lady, even post-mortem, and she blames Mara's magical meddling for her death. 
When Mara accidentally releases a demon and awakens the spirit of the most powerful witch in history, Tillie's ready to kill her -- literally. It's the only way she can think of to save the girl from herself. 
The witch and the demon, however, have other plans for Mara's body!

Phase 3Sweet Talk: a book with great writing

via Goodreads
Challenger Deep by Neal Shusterman. I just finished this book, and I love the way he has put so much detail and description into this book so that even if I don’t always understand I still know. It’s beautiful, though. Really, really beautiful—the way Caden sees things reminds me of the way a heartbeat looks, convulsive and violent but at the same time trembling and filled with blood and love and life all at once.

Which is exactly what I’d expect from a Neal Shusterman book.

Phase 4First Date: a first book of a series which made you want to pursue the rest of the series

via Goodreads
“Pursue.” What kind of word is that? On dictionary.com the first definition implies that pursuing something means following it to kill it. WOW. Don’t kill things; it’s not nice.

I will say that Cinder by Marissa Meyer really captivated me and left me hanging when I read it the first time, and I was really, really eager to get into Scarlet and the rest.

Phase 5Late Night Phone Calls: a book that kept you up all night long

via Goodreads
My father has apparently wormed his way into my brain so usually I have the willpower to set things down. However, not so the case with Mothership by Martin Leicht and Isla Neal; that one, I just pushed on through. (But it was like 1AM when I finished and that’s not really that late or all night, so there you go.)

Phase 6Always on My Mind: a book that you could not stop thinking about

via Goodreads
H.I.V.E. by Mark Walden. I think about it daily. Always. Daily. Just… yeah. Daily.

Phase 7Getting Physical: a book in which you love the way it feels

via Goodreads
Getting physical with your books is also kind of disgusting. This tag disturbs me on many levels.

I would maybe say Artemis Fowl or Ranger’s Apprentice. I can remember those feeling pretty good (I guess?). Like, foreign but familiar, and warm but cold.

Phase 8Meeting the Parents: a book in which you would recommend to your friends and family

via Goodreads
HA. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge. I asked my sister daily if she had started yet and then I wanted hour-by-hour updates. I loved that book…

Phase 9Thinking About the Future: a book or series that you know you’ll re-read many times in the future

via Goodreads
That’s presuming a lot. I could get hit by a car and die and I have no way of knowing if I’ll ever read anything again. Plus, my tastes change all the time. I reread things while my heart is there and then my heart goes on and it is not there anymore. Books are not like people and it is okay if you are unchaste in your loyalties when it comes to stories.

The only thing I can think of is probably Dr. Seuss because I love those books and rhyming words are fun.

Phase 10Share the Love! Who would you like to tag?


I don’t think I want to spread this with the work of my own hands. I would prefer that everyone make their own moral decisions about whether this tag creeps them out or not and then deal with that situation themselves.


That was awkward. Was it awkward for you, too? I don’t know. Why don’t you pick out two questions and tell me what your answers would be? Or you could do the tag if you want; I don’t know, it’s your life. If so, link me up!

10 comments :

  1. There are a lot of creepy and strange things about this tag. I periodically see things on the internet about book stripping and stuff and while I know its' a joke it is also kind of disturbing, so I think that I'll skip this tag for now. I loved Mothership too, but I can't find the sequels or anything :( I finished Challenger Deep last week (thanks library!) and the beautiful writing and character was awesome. Though I have to say that I have like The Schwa was here best out of my Shusterman books so far
    -Shanti http://weavingwaveswords.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's kind of like... Okay. Whatever. No. Mothership is the first of a trilogy, and I know both books are out right now, but my books are all packed up so I don't know the name. Challenger Deep was totaly awesome! I haven't read The Schwa was Here yet, but I will have to!

      Delete
  2. Dear me, yes, this tag was somewhat disturbing. And I'm not a huge fan of courtship, though I always understood it in different terms than the way it was presented here--the proponents of courtship I know would exclude getting physical, period. :P And I actually have, on occasion, picked up a book mainly because I loved the cover. And I have been burned because of it. But hey--the cover is still cool, and I'm a crow. I like shiny. :)

    CHALLENGER DEEP!!!! I have been eying that one for ages now!!!! But I have not been able to get my hands on it yet. And now you are making me die extra. Heather, how could you???

    *composes self* Anyway, MOTHERSHIP looks very interesting too. I will have to check these books out when I get the chance. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either way, I am not a fan of courtship at all... It's just a "no" topic, for me, anyway. I do not blame you at all for liking shiny things! I feel that way about finding money on the sidewalk. It's just that it is super rare that a book is shiny enough for me to take interest in it. :P

      YOU HAVE TO READ IT THOUGH. I am sorry for the pain I cause you but really, you don't have any choice but to read it. I can't solve all your problems for you!

      It is a lovely book! I enjoyed it; if you read it, let me know what you think!

      Delete
  3. Yes I agree that this tag is disturbing... but mothership sounds fun. My definition of staying up late reading is until quarter to 10, so I guess that I wouldn't really qualify for some of this. A book I'll always love is Harry Potter, at least in the foreseeable future. (HP and my 'affair' has been going on since I was 7 I think, which is 8 years, so that's a lot.) I also am terribly fond of Artemis Fowl. Anyway, this was an...interesting tag, so thank you for putting your morality aside to do it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mothership is a very fun book! I... Can't remember the last time I went to bed that early. My Harry Potter phase was between 3rd-6th grade, and I loved it. :D The longest I've ever adored a book is about six years; my fancies change easily! Artemis Fowl is great, yes. :D And yeah, interesting. XD Thanks for your support, Shar.

      Delete
  4. This is super creepy but also pretty fun but I also don't have space on my blog just yet. So.

    I don't really know what to say about books I mostly haven't read so I'm gonna pick out my fav lines from this post because they are super fabulous.

    "the way Caden sees things reminds me of the way a heartbeat looks, convulsive and violent but at the same time trembling and filled with blood and love and life all at once." --> WHAT EVEN. SO BEAUTIFUL.

    "WOW. Don’t kill things; it’s not nice." Ahaha. Ahahahahaha. *looks down at manuscript*

    "I think about it daily. Always. Daily. Just… yeah. Daily."

    "That’s presuming a lot. I could get hit by a car and die and I have no way of knowing if I’ll ever read anything again."

    Yeah. This is the end of an awkward comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't feel obligated. No tag, no drag. XD I'm glad you liked those lines—although, since you're a writer, I'm willing to make an exception regarding your killing of things. Just... don't kill REAL alive breathing things, except maybe spiders and scorpions, or whatever.

      Anyway, I'm glad you loved those lines, and thanks for enjoying. :)

      Delete
  5. I keep hearing good things about Challenger Deep and Cruel Beauty but am yet to read them. The same with Cinder.

    This is a cool idea for a tag, although, slightly weird as well xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OPAL. PLEASE. At least one of them. Can I barter for one? Or all three? One doesn't necessarily reflect upon the others. :D

      But yes, weird. XD

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!