Wednesday, April 29, 2015

How Do You Organize Your Bookshelves? (A SOI Linkup)

Fun story: I like organizing things, and so I have a bunch of “How Do You Organize?” posts on my do-list (for example, How Do You Organize Your Writing?), and Sunny at A Splash of Ink totally beat me to it in her linkup. Today I’m participating in The Bookshelf Linkup, because I can, and because organization.

Go me.

1. If you can, share a picture of your bookshelves (piles of books, boxes of books, anywhere you store your books) or describe the set-up you have.


2. How do you sort your books? Author, genre, not at all?


We’re going to do these together because I think having the picture next to the explanation will make more sense.


This is my Favorite Bookshelf, where I keep my best-loved books for easy access and special distinction. They are sorted by author’s last name.


This is the Big Bookshelf, where I keep all my things. The top shelf holds my CDs in the upper left, which I don’t organize, but the mostly-DVDs that take up the rest of the shelf are more or less in alphabetical order by title (all of the Avengers movies are in alphabetical order within the “A” section, because they’re a series).

At the very end of the top shelf the fiction book section begins, which is organized mostly by author’s last name. The exception is The 39 Clues Series, which has multiple authors and so is the end of the fiction section. The magazines/comics/poetry books section comes directly after that.

The bottom shelf is non-fiction, which is more or less organized first by genre/subject (history, writing, religion etc.) and then by author’s last name, if available.



Also, this is part of the “R” Section, that was originally the Harry Potter shelf until I didn’t have enough space to treat Harry like a pompous prig unworthy of touching other books and so now it is the Riordan/Rowling block of books.

3. Do you have any special trinkets or decorations on your shelves, or are they purely business?


If you go back and look up at the photos, you’ll notice I have pointed out some of the highlights of things that are located on my shelves!

4. What genre dominates your bookshelf? Or what genres make up your bookshelf?


Well, it’s mostly YA. There’s some fantasy things. Sci-fi things. A few realistic fiction, but I’m over that phase. Mostly I like books with a small band of heroes who work for the government and overcome threats to society or small bands of threats to society who overcome the government. Um… yeah.

5. Are there any books on your shelf that you're particularly proud of?


Erm, no. Not exactly.

6. What is the ratio between read books and TBR books on your shelf?


Well, here is my “official” TBR pile, but there are six or seven other books I mean to read lying around the rest of the room. So, that’s like 14 books versus the 200+ that sit on all the shelves… Pretty good ratio, I’d say.

7. What is the most recent addition to your bookshelf?


I just got Reapers by Brian Davis from a giveaway at Stori Tori’s Blog!

8. Describe your dream bookshelf setup.


…You know, I think my dreams have already come true.


And there you have it! Thanks so much to Sunny for hosting this fabulous linkup, and I look forward to reading more of these over the next few weeks!

How do you organize your bookshelves? If you do the linkup, be sure to send me your link so I can be sure to visit!

20 comments :

  1. Wow! I am in awe with how organized you are...I don't organize my bookshelves at all. This is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they do say that OCD isn't the most desirable trait to have. But, I like my bookshelves. Thanks for reading! :)

      Delete
  2. Ooh, you won Reapers? I'm jealous. xD You'll have to tell me how you like it, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did. Perhaps I'll write a review when I'm done. :)

      Delete
  3. Bookshelf organization is actually my favorite. (And I love the books you've got on your shelves!)
    *wants to do linkup now*
    I...I don't really have a set method. I have my favorite series up on top, and then the other books a shelf down. I should really figure out a system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to do and have everything in its proper place! (I'm glad you like them; I hope we get to see your bookshelf soon, perhaps?)

      Not everyone is as meticulous as I am, haha. But, I think the most important thing about any bookcase is that you love what sits on it, not just the order they sit in. :)

      Delete
  4. I love how you have the favourites shelf and then the everything else shelf. I also love that Harry Potter (for a time) had it's own precious space. That bit cracked me up....and inspired me, haha.

    Great idea to include the pictures with the captions! I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who has trinkets and other stuff spread around.

    Thanks for participating in the linkup! And thank you for commenting on other link-up people's posts:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pretty distinct division! I think sooner or later I'll need the HP space for something better, but we'll see what happens as time goes on, eh?

      I thought the pictures were fun to edit. :) And yes, it's nice to know that there's other messy-at-heart people out there.

      Thanks for hosting, and absolutely. :)

      Delete
  5. Ooh, I love it and I wish I could organize mine the same way. I only have one bookshelf, and my books just go wherever they fit, really. I'll probably stash them under my bed when I run out of room there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's a shame. I hope you acquire some awesomer bookshelves in your future!

      Delete
  6. UGH *intense bookshelf envy* I want multiple bookshelves!! I just have one little one. X) I love all your little trinkets!

    What I can see of your room, with the colors of the walls and bookshelves and everything, makes me think of archaeologists. The whip (hello Indiana Jones) and bronze dinosaurs probably helped my mind form that image. ;D It's really cool!

    And I love how you have your own personal movie collection in your room, too. All of the movies at my house are stuffed into a GIGANTIC bookshelf. XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, I'm sorry. XD Multiple bookshelves is very handy, and I have very generous parents. :)

      That's actually funny, because in Kindergarten I wanted to be an archaeologist. In some ways, I guess I'm still in that phase. I love keeping the past and present all glued together in one way or another.

      I like having it, too! It's nice just to have what I have, and know that Netflix can't take it away or anything. The rest of the movies that are family owned live in an entertainment center in the living room, and it is very nice. :)

      Delete
  7. Hi, Heather!
    I am totally in love with your bookshelves! I also really like your pictures; the captions are hilarious. Mole-ch Diggums especially made me laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm in love with them too. And, good, I did try to be at least a little humorous. :) Mole-ch is from the Mole project I did for chemistry last year, so I may have to talk about him sometime. :)

      Delete
  8. Your bookshelves are amazing! I love the ones on the walls. I have three bookshelves (although one is part notebooks, part painting things), and I order each one differently xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias! They're pretty awesome. I'd love to know how you order all three of your bookshelves! It's always fun to see how we squirrel away our books. :)

      Delete
  9. So basically I wandered back here to check if you'd replied to my comment and voila, look, I never even commented! (I had a comment in my head, okay? I swear.) Anyhow, I just wanted to say that I love all the trinkets (esp the ducks, okay?), also Harry Potter totally deserves to be on a shelf of its own but like you I've been forced to allow it to share shelf space even though it still gets more than almost everything else. Yes. That's about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I hate it when that happens! Because it's like the thought of the comment replaces the deed of the comment in your mind. The ducks are some of my favorites, as well, but yes, Harry Potter just needs to learn to share. Rick Riordan's a cool man, too. XD

      Delete
  10. You have a great setup. I think my favorite part is the batman mask. Everybody needs to keep one of those handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. I mean, what else would I wear if I had to go out to save the world?

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!