Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Ultimate Book Tag

So, I saw that Tara did this super cool book tag, and since I’ve been on a roll, I thought I’d do it too. And I haven’t talked much about books lately, so I am going to remedy that.

(By the way, I used a million GIFs, and they are all from Pinterest and I didn't source them, bad me.)



1. Do you get sick while reading in the car?


Yes. Dude, I get sick from just being in the car—so I have perfected the art of NOT getting sick in the car. Air conditioning, light clothing, don’t read, and stick an audio book in the CD player. Unless, of course, your CD player breaks three hours into the drive to Nebraska.

Also, since I’ve been driving for over a year now I don’t really have the daring to try and read and drive at the same time.

2. Which author’s writing style is completely unique to you and why?


I would say Martin Leicht and Isla Neal have a completely unique writing style in the Ever-Expanding Universe trilogy—I love Elvie’s voice, firstly, and is totally teenager without being totally idiotic. Secondly, they get pretty honest about pregnancy, which is nice for once.

3. The Harry Potter series or the Twilight Saga? Give three points to defend your answer.


Twilight Saga, which I’ve mentioned. Why? It has more profound questions of morality and a more artful depiction of moral ambiguity, Carlisle is a better Christ figure than Harry, and Charlie Swan is the bomb dot com.

4. Do you carry a book bag? If so, what’s in it? (Besides books!)


No, but I made a fan bag for my favorite series that I don’t usually use because I don’t want to ruin it. Oh, well, I have a Bible bag, for the times when I want to smuggle books and notebooks into le church.

5. Do you smell your books?


Not really, no. I mean, they are all pretty new so they mostly don’t smell.

6. Books with or without illustrations?


Without, but I sit down and read picture books sometimes, too. We have a big Dr. Seuss collection here.

7. What book did you love while reading but discovered later that it wasn’t quality writing?


I would say Harry Potter or The 39 Clues. I mean, Harry Potter is not bad—it’s just a children’s book and I have grown out of it. Lots of people are welcome to enjoy it, but for me personally, I am out. The 39 Clues, on the other hand, is like that nice girl at school who leaves and becomes a slut and YOU USED TO BE MORE THAN JUST A SCHEME TO GET MONEY BUT YOU LIED TO ME AND I CAN’T BELIEVE I LISTENED TO YOU GOODBYE.
Oh, Ian... *sigh*

8. Do you have any funny stories involving books from your childhood? Please share!


I can’t remember any, sorry.

9. What is the thinnest book on your shelves?


I’m pretty sure I have a DuckTales comic on that shelf, and if it’s not that, then it’s the two Bee and Puppycat comics I have…

10. What is the thickest book on your shelves?


It’s either my mythology encyclopedia (because it is thick up-and-down-wise) or my Poe anthology.

11. Do you write as well as read? Do you see yourself as an author in the future?


Yes, I write. What kind of question is this? I see me as a writer now. Or, if not now, then as soon as we finish watching an episode of Northern Exposure tonight.

12. When did you get into reading?


My parents like to brag that I learned my alphabet when I was 19 months old and after that I just picked up reading because they had me do reading lessons all the time.

13. What is your favorite classic book?



Okay, fine. Then I might pick The Handmaid’s Tale or Catch-22, because those are what we read in English so they probably count.

It’s just that they had such a different industry back then. DICKENS WROTE SERIALS. HE GOT PAID BY THE WORD. Which explains the inconsistencies and why it is so long and why I get bored fast. I do not read boring books.

14. In school, was your best subject Language Arts/English?


… I’m pretty good at all my classes, thanks. Yes, I’m good at English, but considering I get straight-A’s it’s sort of a no competition deal.

(If you want to know percentages, I have extra credit in Philosophy so I have more than 100%, but after that it’s English at 97%.)

15. If you were given a book as a present that you had read before and hated… what would you do?


Thank the person who gave it to me and then donate it to the library. Or, if I were really disappointed, might result to less savory methods of disposal.

16. What is a lesser-known series that you know of that is similar to Harry Potter or The Hunger Games?


Who cares? Like, I don’t know—neither really take my fancy anymore, so I don’t pay attention to the stories that are similar to them.

17. Besides rambling, what is a bad habit you always have while blogging?


My posts are really long. I don’t know if that counts as rambling or not—maybe I put in too much content?

18. What is your favorite word?


Doom.

19. Are you a nerd, dork, or dweeb? Or all of the above?


I’m a geek, thanks. I do not have the technological affinity nor the D&D skills of a nerd, I am not a dongle, nor am I a stupid middle-schooler.

So I can quote movies to you, tell you anything you want to know about certain facts, I read IMDb trivia, I marathon movies, and all around I side with Rhett in this video. Let’s be specific with our tags, thanks.

20. Vampires or fairies? Why?


Vampires—admittedly, my best friend and I watched The Pirate Fairy very recently (it’s Tom Hiddleston, that makes it okay) but I think vampires are interesting because they suck out your life’s essence and you can go so many directions with that.

21. Shapeshifters or angels? Why?


Ummmm… I don’t know. Am I supposed to say angels because I’m a Christian? Shapeshifters are cool, but I don’t feel like I’ll fall in love with the idea until I figure out how such transformations are biologically possible when de and reselecting different alleles to represent the phenotypes of other species on cue would cost so. much. energy.

22. Spirits or werewolves? Why?


Werewolves. Not because I like werewolves, but I feel like werewolves have more rules I can live with. Full moon, man to wolf, eat stuff, awoooo, etcetera. I feel like no two spirits or ghosts or whatever have the same rules in books, and the ideas that surround them are just plain confusing. I can’t deal with that.

23. Zombies or vampires?


Oh, please. Vampires. At least they can pretend to be suave—who wants an enemy that’s falling apart and grody like that?
You know what I mean.

24. Love triangle or forbidden love?


I’m going to say love triangle, just because we all know that forbidden loves are either going to end up with them together or dead. If you have a love triangle, at least it indicates a variability of love, which means that maybe two will make a decision, or maybe the MC will choose neither, or maybe someone else will enter. I don’t think it happens in real life all too often but it adds excitement to a story.

25. Full on romance books or action-packed with a few love scenes mixed in?


Romance. Why, you ask? James Bond, that’s why. And when you just have action packed stories with love scenes mixed in you end up being a womanizer and as much as I enjoy those movies I suggest you either go with the whole romance or pick a book with romances important to the plot but are not central to the political, economic, interpersonal, intrapersonal, or societal conflicts therein.
NONE OF THE BOND GIRLS ARE WEARING CLOTHES SO TAKE THIS IMAGE INSTEAD

I decided to do this because I felt like I could be a little snotty. So that is what happened. Yay.

Pick two questions—what would be your answers? And, if you want, feel free to steal the tag!

18 comments :

  1. My favorite word is:
    well it's a long and crazy story, and I mean it as a joke with my friend.... but it's DEATH in a really deep evil voice. I usually say it while playing a game at my friends house. HAHA
    Also hmmmm.... Do I get sick while reading in the car?
    I used to every single time, but I've gotten so accustomed to it that I don't any more! Yay me!

    Love your answers! They are great!
    Mae :)
    superswankified.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, death is funny. It comes with a cool story, so that's good!

      Good for you! I don't think I'll ever get over my carsickness, but good for you!

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Again, I need to thank you for the whole Twilight thing, because it makes me feel so much better to know I'm not alone in my opinion there, and I couldn't have said it better myself. xD Charlie, tho - he never fails to make me laugh, which is more than I could say for Harry Potter.

    Hm...I think the most unique writing style I've ever read has to be Patrick Ness' in The Knife of Never Letting Go...it's /such/ a weird style but he pulls it off well. But I mean, NEAL SHUSTERMAN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD *high fives* Well, thank you for speaking up as well, because I am glad that I'm not the only one out there, either! Charlie is hilarious, for sure; I like him as a parent, which is also more than I could say for anyone in the HP series...

      NEAL SHUSTERMAN OF COURSE HE HAS A UNIQUE WRITING STYLE. I trust you immediately just because of the author.

      Delete
  3. Rhett and Link! You have no idea how happy you made me by linking to that rap battle. I'd have to agree, geek all the way. Besides, geeks get Gandalf. That's good enough for me. It's funny unny, but my book bag also doubles as a beach bag. Not at the same time of course! I hear salt water does terrible things to the pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that video! And yes, Gandalf is the best, and so are all the other fandoms that come with him. :) I like the multi-use bag idea, though. Of course, books and beaches are not always friends, but still. Good use of resources and all. :)

      Delete
  4. First, can I just say that you're probably the first person that has openly admitted to preferring Twilight over Harry Potter, which I'm pretty sure is a bookish "sin" in some circles. I haven't read either of them (and don't plan on ever reading them), but the longtime battle of which one is better gets old pretty fast.

    And I'm kind of jealous that you have straight-As. A B always seems to sneak into my report card >.>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I don't think I am, actually. But, I may be the only person who hasn't been shot down for it (at least not yet). It's definitely a bookish sin, as you said, but I am tired of the battles and I like what I like so don't tell me what to do. :)

      Well, I actually wrote this a while ago. Now I have a B, but I don't know if I still have a B because my teacher hasn't updated grades in 5 weeks. Sooooooo.

      Delete
  5. Another person who finds cars make them sick. I have such a terrible time when travelling. I normally find I have to take water with me when in a car. It helps a bit. But I'm totally not looking forward to learning to drive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting, because I've never been carsick while I'm driving, only in a passenger seat. For that, my cure is almost always the air conditioning, as few layers as possible, water (like you said), and keeping a focus on the distance. But, hey, at least long car rides don't happen every day.

      Delete
  6. I'm a nerd with a splash of geek xD Wait, you don't smell your books?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD Woot woot! Nerds and geeks are awesome. And no... I really don't. I mean, I don't smell them on purpose, anyway. It's not like I stop breathing when they're around...

      Delete
  7. I get car sick when reading too! Even when I go to Barnes and Noble, simply walking by bookshelves and reading their titles can make me feel sick. I can't listen to audio books in the car though, because my younger siblings get too loud. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *nods* It's crazy what motion and words can do to our brains, and it's easy to dislike it in all the ways. :P I'm sorry you can't listen to audio books, though. I'm sure it would be more riveting, at the very least.

      Delete
  8. This tag is great! I want to do it but I know deep down that's just adding it to my never-ending list of tags to do, lmao. You gave great answers though. I like that you DO give valid reasons for choosing Twilight whereas most people champion the cause of hating it til death do them part, and don't really have a reason. Personally I'm not a Twilight fan and i have my own reasons for that, but hey, that's just me.

    Pride and Prejudice and Zombies! A friend got that for me for a birthday or Christmas. I felt so-so about it, but it was definitely interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD Yeah, doing tags can get just a wee bit overwhelming. I realized how unpopular Twilight still is when I mentioned liking it in my philosophy class the other day, but yeah. It's totally cool if you don't like Twilight, I just appreciate it when you appreciate that we're both still humans and our book preferences don't change that. :) Thanks.

      *nods* A lot of people didn't like it very much, but I thought it was hilarious. But that was just me. XD

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!