Monday, March 2, 2015

GUEST POST: Five Reasons NOT to Leave Comments, with Aimee Meester

Hey! Our favorite GIFmaster Aimee volunteered her own guest post to start us off for #FanMonth—a series that's going to continue through the end of March! Settle back and grab an umbrella—it's raining sarcasm this morning as we discuss comments!

5 Very Good Reasons Why You Should Never, Ever Leave Comments


Well, Heather’s given me a chance to talk to you all here for my first guest post–eep!–so I thought I’d give some helpful advice. Specifically, why commenting on other blogs is a very, very bad idea.

I even put it in a handy list format for you. It’s just that important.

1. You might accidentally start a conversation!


Which would really suck, wouldn’t it? It’s nice and comfortable in your little corner of the blogging world, and reaching out to new people is scary. Why would you throw yourself out there like that? You might comment on someone’s blog, and they might comment back, and you might even disagree a little and have to debate it civilly.


2. You might make new friends.


Once again, your little corner is all cozy - there’s no reason to let new people in, really. If you comment on a blog saying you like what the person said, or if someone comments on your blog saying they liked what you said...that conversation - and heaven forbid, repeated comments - could lead you to make friends with them. Which, you know, sounds like the opposite of fun.



3. You might make someone’s day!


*horrified gasp*

But really. I mean, it’s amazing when people comment on your posts, isn’t it? It makes you feel all warm and fuzzy. There’s no reason to spread the warm-fuzzy love, because someone else will probably comment on that post and say the nice thing you were going to say.

Right?

4. It might encourage them to visit your blog in exchange!


Which you yourself never do to people who comment on your blog, because that’s lame and boring and takes too much time.

What do you need new people visiting for in the first place? What if they like it? What if they follow you? What if, going to an earlier point, you become friends?

Yeah, it’s probably safer to just leave out commenting altogether.


5. It takes too much time.


I mean, you’re already blogging yourself, and that’s pretty time-consuming! Who has time to comment back, or worse still, go through other blogs and leave meaningful comments? That’s, like, hours of unnecessary work building relationships and community or whatever. It’s lame.

Just spend all your time making your blog look amazing and writing up that funny post that almost no one will actually see. Sigh.


Well, there you have it. Five reasons why you should definitely not leave comments. I’ve just helped you out a ton, haven’t I? If you liked that or found it helpful, you can visit me at To the Barricade! which is just chock-full of helpful advice like that and much more.

A big thanks to Heather for letting me guest post! She’s quite fabulous, you know.


Aimee Meester is a chocolate-obsessed, writing, Myers-Briggs ESTP with a serious book addiction and a tendency to talk about people who don’t exist more often than not. She regularly talks about all of these things on her blog, To the Barricade!. You can find her lurking in dark corners, plotting the demise of her latest characters, or on Twitter, Pinterest, or Goodreads.

36 comments :

  1. Haha I love this sarcastic post! Finding a comment on my blog sure does brighten my day! It's a great way to make blogging friends too!
    Mae :)
    superswankified.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aimee's hilarious, no? And you're right—comments are the best!

      Delete
    2. Awww, thanks! I think comments are SUPER important, mainly for that reason - spreading some love. :)

      Delete
  2. I think your sarcasm is working! I'm typing words! They're forming sentences! In a few seconds I'm liable to hit that publish button! *deep breath* Goodbye cozy corner! Warm fuzzies here I come! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aimee didn't tell me she had powers when she volunteered to post. Welcome to the land of warm fuzzies—let's hope you stick around. :)

      Delete
    2. Ah, yes, Heather, I may have omitted that fact in order to better reach the masses. *evil laugh*
      Welcome to the warm fuzzies as well! It's scary out of the corner, but hopefully worth it. I don't THINK any of us bite.

      Delete
  3. So basically the best thing that would happen to this post is that no comments would appear, but since other people have jinxed it, I'm going to chip in and make this chock-full of comments. Either way works. XD

    Absolutely love the sarcasm! There are really nearly zero reasons you shouldn't comment on blogs. Personally, I either a) would end up leaving something negative and don't want to do that or b) think it's a huge blog and don't want to clog up the comment feed with my mediocre thoughts.

    Awesome guest post to kick off #FanMonth -- looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've just decided to roll with the irony? XD (I could have made comments impossible, but there's no way I could stand it...)

      It's an awesome post, eh? Probably the rule I can think of is no commenting if you have diarrhea or some horrible disease. Get yourself to a bathroom and take care of your problems. Blogging is not that important.

      Stay tuned!

      Delete
    2. Haha! I thought about that myself - but it's much better if Heather has comments and love, haha.
      Thanks! Sarcasm is my second language. xD I don't think there are many reasons to NOT leave comments, unless all you can think of as a comment is negativity or violent disagreement. In that case, you should probably go find another blog. :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks so much for having me, Heather! This was a ton of fun to put together, and I'm glad I got the opportunity! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for coming! I love seeing your words and things on my blog, so I'm glad you volunteered. :D

      Delete
  5. Some of you know that I'm paaainfully shy. A lot of my comments on blogs feel like I'm sticking my neck out on a chopping block, but I know it's the only way to get anything done in the blogging world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, we've all been there, but you'll get better with practice. And hey, what's the worst that could... Okay. Well, I'm sure you could psychologically damage someone but THAT IS WHY WE PRACTICE. So good on you for getting started! :)

      Delete
    2. It's definitely nervewracking at first, putting yourself out there...you'll get the hang of it! :)

      Delete
  6. Sarcasm!Oh how I love this post! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I honestly do not understand those people who like, comment on other blogs. This is a major competition here. We bloggers don't have time to comment on other posts because then we'll help our competitors get ahead of us. Who cares if commenting on other blogs will supposedly "grow our blog"? If everyone else is also getting more comments, then us getting more comments won't even matter. And oh, the horrors of friendship. There's no time for friends in a competition. Thank you for this post, Aimee. I sincerely agree.

    ...Wait, no. Why am I commenting? I might become friends with you or Heather. Oh no oh no oh no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, it's because they have no lives and no priorities and they're crazy. A blog is like an island and WE SHOULD BE FREE. Aimee just knows things, and you should totally listen to her because she's totally right and I'll bet she would hate it if you went and visited her blog or something.

      I can't believe you tried to make friends with me. I am offended. Goodbye!

      (Just kidding. :) )

      Delete
    2. Heather is very wise. *nods*

      HOW COULD YOU COMMENT LIKE THIS. YOU WILL FORM ATTACHMENTS THAT IS NOT GOOD.

      Delete
  8. Sarcasm, I love it. But you're right, commenting is important and builds up an interactive community. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks! I happen to love sarcasm too. :P And absolutely...I'd venture to say it's the most important thing about blogging, but people forget it a lot.

      Delete
    2. Very, very much so, Aimee. Interactiveness is why we're here, after all!

      Delete
  9. Very true! But as an introvert, these things kinda do run through my mind before I write comments. Have to make friends at some point in life though!
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling myself; it can be nerve-wrecking to write a comment! But, the only way to be successful is to make friends, so!

      Delete
  10. Great post! Commenting is one of my favorite hobbies because it can lead to such horrifying things as making friends, starting debates, and having fun. Oh, I must add one more terrifying possibility: commenting on a post may lead to you thinking more critically about it and thus gaining a new perspective or insight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be something crazy, indeed—I mean, critical thinking is kinda crazy, right? NEW INSIGHTS ARE BAD, haha. Either way, it's good that you enjoy commenting, because it's one of the best parts of blogging!

      Delete
  11. I was laughing all through this post- it's very well done xD

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha! I can't believe this. I love this way of giving advice. I love your sense of humour. Great post:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This post was so funny to read! Most of the time I don't comment because I'm afraid people will think I'm weird. My cozy corner of the internet doesn't think I'm weird :P Lately I try to leave more comments and it really helps that this post is so awesome, so I can easily type a comment about how awesome I think this is :P

    x Envy
    Picking up the Pieces

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fear we all have sometimes, but the thing is that if people think you're weird, that's their problem, not yours. But, it's good that you're writing more comments, and you're putting yourself out there! Way to go!

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh the sarcasm! This was brilliant!


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aimee was awesome, right? Thanks for reading! :D

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!