Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Fan Month: This Isn't the End

This is it, the day has come! IT IS THE LAST DAY OF FAN MONTH. (Believe me, no one is happier than me; it was a good idea and I’d do it again but not tomorrow because I need a break now.)

I’m going to say thank you, to everyone who took anywhere from a few minutes to a week or more this month to work on their own fanship. I loved getting to read where each and every person came from, and I am glad that I didn’t do it alone, either.

Stain glasses sun light flare study continue
Flickr Credit: David Yu

But it is March 31. We read great posts, we did great things, and tomorrow, that ends. We may fall back into bad habits, and we may forget all that we learned and did and see it all fail.

It doesn’t have to. Every day can be a fan day and every month can be a fan month, maybe not to the same extent, but there are never days where there is not an opportunity to encourage and attend to someone else.

It takes practice, and you have to know what you’re doing, but once you know the way, there’s plenty to do. That being said, this month has given me a few ideas to make sure that I do a good job the rest of the year.


Set Goals

I was stupid and crazy to try and read 210 blog posts in a week, and yet I did. I will not be doing the same any time soon, but the point is that if we set a measurable bar, we’ll be more likely to achieve it.

Don’t Kid Yourself

If there are posts you know you aren’t going to read, however much you admire the blogger or the idea, then remove them from your feed. Don’t get bogged down by good intentions.

Pick Favorites

You can’t be a super-personal friend to every single blogger ever, but you can pick a few to lavish some extra love on. If they are someone you really admire or simply someone who looks like they could use an audience, refuse to let them think their posts go unread. Hunt them down!

Share and Search

Sharing too frequently can be annoying and impossible, but taking the extra time to tweet a favorite post or pass it on to a friend can be a big encouragement—and clicking through on posts your friends have shared helps both your friend and the person you visit.

Don’t Sweat It

We have school. We have work. We have manuscripts, TBR lists, bills, trips to the grocery store, children, siblings, emergencies, spontaneous dates, Netflix, and all the rest to get through. Never sweat the small stuff—the more you share because you can and not because you feel pressured, the happier an experience you’ll have!


So, take a break, rest up, get your favorite TV show out of the way, and when you’re ready—let’s be fans again!

~~~~~~

And now for blog-related stuff, because I am in the announcing mood:


  • I have added pages! Handy Links, the OFFICIAL Walden-Bond Index page, and Friends and Fingers are now up and you can explore them to explore what I’ve written, villain posts, and the bloggers I love
  • Be ready! I have a bunch of tags, follow-up posts, new ideas, and also a new series that may or may not work out (we’ll see) starting up in April. Stay tuned for the stuff that’s coming.
  • If you have a couple minutes, I have a checkup survey to parallel the survey you may remember from earlier this year. This is just to make sure I’m staying on track with what I decided to do earlier this year, and see if there are any other changes I should make to keep SIAS awesome.

And if you have anything else to say you can always shoot me a message, because hey, getting mail is fun.


Again, THANKS to everyone who has participated in Fan Month and KUDOS to everyone who has been working so hard on their own blogs and on others’. *high fives and cake all around*

Did you enjoy Fan Month? What is something you could do to keep the fanship going?


14 comments :

  1. Great pointers! I'm the WORST at setting goals for myself and getting organized, but when I do, I'm always happier and more productive. I've been struggling a bit with balancing blogging and all the other things I need to get done, so this should help :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Setting goals is definitely something I need to work on as well, though usually for my own writing. It's great to feel productive, though; I hope you can balance blogging and enjoy your other activities as well!

      Delete
  2. I just realised that I forgot to hashtag most of my tweets. Whoops! But like you say, it's the thought and not the event which matters. And I'm SO PROUD OF MYSELF because I noticed the new pages and did some clicking around and they're all gorgeous and informative and organised.

    And hey, you already know what I'm planning for the fanship (damn, that was so nearly a rhyme), so let's keep a secret for now, hmm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's okay. I mean, really the important thing would be, say, a link, because how nonsensical would that be otherwise? But YAY I am glad you like them because I especially spent like a million hours (okay, maybe one) on the WBI page and I wanted it to be very organized. :D Thanks.

      My lips are sealed. Like a zipper, but less painful.

      Delete
  3. Fan Month was so much fun, and I'm so glad that you hosted it, Heather. These are great tips to continue on with Fan Month. I especially love the picking favorites tip because I like to comment regularly on some blogs, but I obviously can't do that for every blog I visit. Oh, and not letting yourself stress out is good, too. We already have enough in our lives to stress out over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you participated. Picking favorites can be kind of mean, but also, I think it's a better way to connect with some people on a more intimate level. But, also, no, a blog should not be stressing out your eyeballs. That would be bad.

      Delete
  4. *SOBS* I didn't do very well on fan month. We have to do it again sometime. In the meantime I'm going to try to find new blogs to read.

    I'm excited for April on your blog :) sounds like it will be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT'S OKAY. You'll keep practicing and you'll find new awesome people to enjoy. :)

      I hope it will be as well!

      Delete
  5. First up, loving the new pages. You've done such a good job with those. And now I can go and stalk all your favourite blogs. Mwuahahaha! Looking forward to April. It sounds like you have some amazing ideas lined up there. I'll have to direct all my readers over here while I'm hibernating in the Camp NaNo cave forgetting to schedule posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you. :) And, enjoy all the blogs, because they are great! I do look forward to April as well, and I can't wait to hear more about Camp NaNo on your blog, not least because I myself am not participating. :)

      Delete
  6. Fan Month was a really fun idea, and I'd love for you to host it again! (Hopefully in the summer.) I like skipping my feeds for a day because then I'd have so many posts that would take hours to read. I love discovering new blogs, but it can be very stressful at times. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope summer as well, but we'll see what summer looks like. Hours and hours of blog post reading can become rather stressful, but yes, in the end it's better to keep it to a trickle and not become super-overwhelmed.

      Delete
  7. Fan month was so good, it is a shame I didn't notice it earlier though! Please do host it again though!

    - Lexie
    www.whatlexieloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep a weather eye! I may host another one in a few months! :)

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!