Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Beautiful People #7: Silverhand

I got super indecisive about this Beautiful People (hosted, of course, by the fantastic Cait and Sky). Because I thought I would do it on four characters in my WIP, and then I thought maybe I should do the FMC, and now I have changed my mind again.

Today I shall discuss Silverhand, a secondary character from a story I am sort-of writing.


1. What is his secret desire?


To be a normal dude. Not in that he’d want to give up his political power, but when he was born his mother purchased gifts from a fairy. His father, who prides in skill and talents unaided by magic, favors his “ungifted” sisters.

It isn’t that he is unloved; it’s just that since he was a child he’s been considered tainted—a hard mindset to escape.

2. What is the best and brightest moment he experiences during the story?


Standing in as best man for his best friend’s wedding, totally not dead and with a girl who has earned his respect.

3. What are the emotional places Silverhand is afraid to go to?


His family is a touchy subject. They love him, of course; his father is not a cruel man. He loves them, too. It’s just that they aren’t impressed by much he does at all, because they assume it’s just magic.

4. Is there a place/city/room where he will never go? Why?


He will never enter a lady’s room. Ever. He’ll fight with a woman, he will knock her to the floor of a bar, threaten her, cheat her, insult her, tease her, anger her, ignore her, and provoke her, but he will never enter her room.

He has sisters. And he is never making that mistake again.

5. If he were permanently leaving town, what would he easily throw out? What would he refuse to part with? (Why?)


Silverhand could easily part with most of his friendships, and even his family to some degree.  He wouldn’t want to leave behind his queen or his prince, though—they’ve showed him too much kindness for an easy break.

6. What does he want (consciously and tangibly)?


To succeed. The only place he’s felt at home is being a spy, and so he wants to weed out any threats to the royal family’s life. He wants to see that everything goes smoothly. And he wants it to be done quickly and efficiently.

7. On the other hand: what does he need (on the emotional, subconscious level)?


Forgiveness. He blames himself for [almost] not stopping an assassin, he dislikes himself for the gifts that have been given to him, and he is afraid of his failures. They make him almost too desperate to redeem himself.

8. If he could change one thing about himself, what would it be?


He would probably change his infallible health. He can’t get drunk, and while he can pretend very, very well, he’s never really understood what it’s like. Plus, nobody trusts a man with infallible health.

9. What is the most humiliating event of his life?


Always being lesser than his sisters, especially at social events when the other boys his age were often placed ahead of their sisters. He was considered a sissy boy, up until the point they played poker in the stables and they all left naked, and he had a new wardrobe.

They made him give it all back, of course, and he was punished with lashings in public. That was humiliating, too. But it also gave him his nickname: Silverhand.

10. What things do they turn to when they need a bit of hope?


Towards the beginning of the story, he only has the prince to turn to, really. Everyone assumes that his life revolves around money and that money makes him happy, when it really doesn’t. Although the FMC really hates him, eventually he finds himself turning to her for hope, because she knows just as well as he does that chasing money isn’t the key to happiness.

So, what are you working on? Pick two questions and tell me about your WIP—or, better yet, link me up to your post!


24 comments :

  1. Wow, Silverhand sounds really interesting, the sort of character I would want to read about in a book. And his emotional issues/situation is quite relatable/understandable. Nice job! And thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, maybe you will get to read about him in a book. I don't know yet. :) But, he does have a few issues I hope will make him understandable, even if he's a little bit of a jerk. Thanks for reading! :)

      Delete
  2. Wow! Silver hand sounds like an awesome character! :D He seems like a quite relatable character in some ways.

    Here is my post: https://adrianagabriellewrites.wordpress.com/2015/03/21/beautiful-people-march-edition-more-at-home-with-strangers-characters-camp-nano-novel/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my...The link think kinda did something weird....sorry about that....

      Delete
    2. I hope he will be—I want him to be a very relatable, because he's also going to have some unlikable characteristics to him, to begin with. :)

      I'll be sure to check it out, and don't worry about the link. It happens!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great character! I get the feeling that other people might find him pretty unpleasant at first, maybe even loutish, when in fact he's just as needy as anyone else. I also love the idea of a brother who feels inferior to his sisters...it's not something I've read about much (or can remember reading about at all, come to think of it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's spot on, actually, he's going to start out as a kind-of bad guy, but he does have needs, and it's going to be great. I actually don't think I've read of a brother feeling inferior to his sisters, either, now that you mention it. Something for me to expand on! :D

      Delete
  4. "Plus, nobody trusts a man with infallible health." I don't know why, but this made me laugh. But DUDE. Silverhand is actually the coolest nickname (it makes me think of something out of Inkheart? But whatever.) I'm really, really oddly intrigued by him. He's the kind of character that would be my favorite in a book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD I'm glad you laughed! It's a cool nickname and I agree, I think the name is used in Inkheart, but he has another name too, so after awhile that will just be something else to call him. Or maybe I'll call him something else. Who knows? Anyway, I hope that intrigue stays when I finish the drafts, because hopefully other people will end up liking him too, when it's all said and done.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, butting in here. I know there was a Silvertongue in Inkheart, as well as Dustfinger. Was there a Silverhand in one of the sequels? It doesn't really ring a bell, but then again, I mostly blocked Inkspell and Inkdeath from my memory. :P

      Delete
    3. I know that I was totally thinking of Silvertongue, and maybe a Dustfinger. I think I got them combined in my head. I didn't ever really finish the series and so I was just worried that I was copying somebody. Thanks for the help, Liz—even if you're still blocking some things the help is much appreciated!

      Delete
  5. Awesome post! I LOVE your blog! Please check out mine and post a comment on my latest post. Thanks for reading!

    shinenelevate.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rukiya. I'll visit if I have time.

      Delete
  6. Can I just say that I love the name Silverhand? It fits with his personality so well! (From what I've seen that is.) He sounds like a troubled but interesting character, and you can't go wrong with magic :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so, too. :) He is trouble, he is interesting, and so you're spot on in those departments. :D

      Delete
  7. Ooh, awesome Beautiful People post. It's nice to have a fantasy where the one with powers is not shunned but also not considered the 'best' out of the characters. Your answer to question 10 was similar to mine, actually - about characters who adapt over the course of the story to rely on something/someone different to those they expected.
    I loved the 'totally not dead' comment! And laughing at the strip poker incident!

    My March post: https://missalexandrinabrant.wordpress.com/2015/03/24/beautiful-people-greetings-to-patience/

    (By the way, do you realise that your Twitter link under the 'stalking you' doesn't work? :( )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I'm hoping magic isn't going to be a class issue but more like an extra skill set some people don't approve of. It's interesting that our characters have that in common; I'll be sure to check out your post in a bit!

      (And yes; I'm hoping there will be more humor to come.)

      o.O I changed my Twitter handle a few months ago, I can't believe I didn't notice! D: Thanks for telling me—I've fixed it now!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Number 4 made me laugh! I also like that his mother BOUGHT his magic gifts. That's really unusual and interesting.

    http://thelumberroom.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I thought I shouldn't make him too serious! And yes, it is a rather interesting concept, if I do say so myself. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. Wow, Silverhand sounds like a really intricate character. And, lol, #4 was awesome!
    Also, I tagged you for the Share the Love Challenge on my blog. Don't feel obligated or anything, but I thought I'd let you know :)
    http://thessalexa.blogspot.com/2015/04/share-love-ally-from-scribbling-sprite.html
    BTW, Happy Easter!


    Alexa
    thessalexa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is turning out to be. I look forward to writing about him more! :D (And yeah, I enjoyed writing that one. XD)

      Thanks! I'll get to it when I can, but we'll see how soon that is. Happy Easter to you as well!

      Delete
  11. Wow, he sounds so fascinating! I too have a character that might be considered unlikable and unpleasant... at first glance. I love those kind, don't you? They usually have a very interesting (if not quite, good) reason behind their actions. I'd love to read Silverhand's story someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, it's cool that we both have similar characters! I agree, sometimes the reason doesn't justify what they do, but it does make what they do a little more interesting. :) Thanks for reading!

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!