Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Seven Deadly Sins Book Tag

Boppin’ along the blogosphere has led me to this lovely book tag about THE SEVEN DEADLY SINS, which I have stolen from T.T. Kesley, who in turn stole it from Cait at The Book Chewers, who in turn stole it from who knows where because we’re just so caught up in our sinfulness that we don’t even know who we stole it from anymore.

Anyway, I’m onto this, so let’s get going.

Flickr Credit: See-ming Lee

1. Greed. What's your most inexpensive book? What's your most expensive book?

See, the majority of my books were gifts bought on my behalf, often on sale, so I don’t know much about their prices. However, I can boast that I bought Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers, Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge, Royally Lost by Angie Stanton, How to Love by Katie Cotugno, and Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi on my Kindle for Black Friday sales for $10.51, when ordinarily even one eBook might have cost about $10 itself.

That was the day I learned what Black Friday is for.

Most expensive? I have a feeling it’s probably going to be a copy of one of the Inheritance Cycle books, just because they’re so big and that drives prices up.

2. Wrath. What author do you have a love/hate relationship with?

Neal Shusterman. In my head when I am loving/hating him I usually think “Neal Shusterman and his stupid psychology degree.” When Tesla’s Attic first came out Mom took me to actually see him and Eric Elfman, and she asked them about their college degrees. He has a psychology degree, apparently, which means he knows how to manipulate feels and make me cry.

Which is awesome, but I hate him for it.

3. Gluttony. What book have you devoured over and over again with no shame?

At last count, I believe I’ve read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone 18 times. (Also, note that I’ve only read Deathly Hallows three times.)

When I was younger, I ADORED Harry, and it actually turned me into a Harry-desert after the sixteenth time because I was so bored with it. And I’ve never really regained my former admiration.

Since then, I’ve just locked onto H.I.V.E. by Mark Walden with no shame at all. So much fan fiction. So much feels. So much evil. laksdfjasdlfjdk

4. Sloth. What book have you neglected due to laziness?

I have this huge book of stories and poems by Edgar Allen Poe, and certainly Poe was a bro but even though I’ve even actually read some poems I am just being slothy about that book. Big books intimidate me. Reading intimidates me. I have troubles.

5. Pride. What book do you talk about most in order to sound like an intellectual reader?

I’m pretty good at shooting off Bible facts during studies, which has caused some awkwardness before. Mostly, though, I just talk about books as a whole and pretend I’m intellectual without actually naming a book or that I haven’t read it. Because I’m not that intellectual of a reader and people should know that. If I’m smart, it’s for entirely different reasons.

6. Lust. What attributes do you find attractive in male characters?

Oh boy. Geez. Where do I even start? Okay, let’s get this out of the way: morally ambiguous. With the exception of Captain America and Thor good guys are just not that high on my list of attractiveness. Brilliant smiles, quick sense of humor, quicker wit, broken hearts with sharp edges, black or brown wardrobe. Middle-aged? Really nice eyes. Dashing heroes, gruff and gaunt men. Guys who can sound a little suspicious. They have deep voices and layer themselves in deception and lies because they’re hurt. Straightforward on the inside but convoluted and mysterious on the outside. Letting their sex drive conflict with their morals conflict with their needs conflict with their ways. Guys who play with dinosaurs. Guys that give good hugs. Guys that want kisses and death and poison and food. Guys who cry. Guys who bleed. Guys who squeeze your hand at the right moment because they know you need it.

Guys who are.

The Darkling and Mal Reynolds and Thorne and Dr. Nero and Robin Hood and Lincoln Lee and Peter Bishop and Batman and Ignifex and Loki and Galbatorix and Nikolai and Artemis Fowl and Newton and Simba and yeah.

7. Envy. What book would you most like to receive as a gift?

Maybe Evil Librarian by Michelle Knudson. Geez, I liked the evil librarian in that too and he was just like my list!

Probably I shouldn’t get married.


ANYWAY I had a ton of fun doing this and you are free to steal the questions for yourself, and may the cookies be ever in your flavor.

What do you think is your easiest “sin” to identify? What would be your answer?

14 comments :

  1. Ooh, this is a really fun game. I think the simplest here would be gluttony - I DEVOUR SO MUCH A SONG OF ICE AND FIRE. I don't even know any more. :S I have no idea what I'd put for envy, though; I just want ALL the books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ADMIRE YOU FOR THAT. Like, I can watch the TV Show, because it's not that hard to sit like a lardbutt and watch people die, but I didn't really get into the first book. It was hard. I will have to try it again, no? But yes, I know what you mean: ALL THE BOOKS. Except a few.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, this is neat! I have to disagree with you in regards to what male characters we find attractive - I'm a sweet/nice guy girl all the way - but I'm totally with you on the Neal Shusterman thing. *flails*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD That's okay; if there was too much competition for the morally-ambiguous dark guys I doubt I'd ever get a date. ;) And yes, Neal Shusterman! Flailing! Dying! aaaah.

      Delete
  3. You read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone 18 times?!? WHAT?!? That's amazing. I never really kept track of how many times I reread a book when I was little, but I reread a ton of books in elementary school. I'd say my most read books were The Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder and Indian Captive by Lois Lenski. My copies of those books are completely battered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DUNNO. I was a kid with not enough imagination on her hands, I guess, to think other books would be okay. But that's awesome—it always seems like our most treasured books end up with the rattiest covers and most bent pages. Then again, I think that's the way it should be. :)

      Delete
  4. Envy would be mine. I just want all the books. I keep dropping hints to my family that if they just bought me books I would be happy forever, but they aren't taking them.
    I don't really re-read books- I find it hard not getting quite the same joy and thrill that you get the first time. But Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone 18 times: WOW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awful; I, for one, am well aware of the benefits of good hint-taking, but I usually spell it out straight to my family and they get the gist in a list. :)

      Really? I find it really hard to enjoy books the first time because I don't know how it ends! I love the joy of thrill of going on a crazy ride where you do know the end. XD I'm weird. But yeah, it was a lot, I'm sorry, I was 9.

      Delete
  5. I will love Robin Hood forever. Then, of course, there's Loki. I've even had a crush on the *original* one in the myths, which kind of makes me question my sanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Loki is Loki, no matter what 'verse we're talking about. And Robin Hood, except maybe not the fox version, because I'm really not into that bestiality business. The human ones are better. :D

      Delete
  6. My easiest 'sin' to identify would definitely be pride. I'm a little bit of a classic book snob. I've read all Jane Austen's books and quite a few of Charles Dickens and even a couple of the Bronte sisters books too (ok so that's not that many books all up). I like to pull these out when I want to sound like an accomplished reader. Love hearing about your 'sins'. H.I.V.E. is such an epic series, isn't it? Gah, I so want to read it again now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD You sound pretty darn accomplished to me! I've only read Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, and that's about as classic as I get, if we are completely honest. It's hard enough for me to get through something published last year, much less a hundred years ago. XD And yes, H.I.V.E.! I LOVE IT. IT IS WONDERFUL. IT IS MINE. I haven't allowed myself to read it just yet. But I want to. Desperately.

      Delete
  7. I think I am going to steal this because it looks so fun! XD

    ReplyDelete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!