Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Poem: the trouble with asthma

With yesterday’s post being such a beacon of encouragement, and since I promised I’d share a little bit of my writing, I thought I’d give in and post something. I’ve realized that I really don’t have a lot worth sharing, mostly because it was written in eighth grade or is incomplete or not edited enough to share.

But I did write a poem for my English class as extra credit last month, so I thought it might be worth a shot.

After all, there’s something there and it’s showing.

the trouble with asthma


cough rattle wheeze sigh hack
hack hack hack hack hack
Flickr Credit: chapstickaddict
hack
how do you feel
fine
you don’t look fine
cough
nah i’m good
wheeze
take this cough drop and
this nyquil and
this pill and
this syrup and
this water and
this other thing i promise it helps
red hot cough burns
plug in the penguin
let arctic air flood back down
like snow
and sigh with bliss
no one realizes how divine it is to
breathe


(Note: I did not take that picture, but that is the kind of nebulizer I have, and it is my favorite and I love it.)

And there you go; an attempt at poetry. Have you written anything lately?


8 comments :

  1. It must be horrible to have asthma. Luckily, I don't struggle with it, but I like this poem. It has a short clip and rhythm to it, which I like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's not /that/ bad. Sometimes enjoyable, I suppose. But I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh goodness, you have asthma? That must be difficult to get around in sports class and stuff. That said, the poem is really nice - it gives off a very "Heather" feeling. I'm not sure how to explain it - it's pithy and gets the point across and surprises me a little in a good way. Anyways, it's very you and I quite like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes I do. It's not that bad; it's easily reversible and controllable. :) But thanks for your thoughts, I do like having my own kind of feeling. XD Really though, thanks. (Also, you made me look up what pithy means, so kudos to you.)

      Delete
  3. Love this poem Heather. I was really interested to see you posting a poem especially because I'm actually studying it at the moment (which means that I'm terrible at writing it, but I really enjoy reading it). Also, I've never heard of a nebulizer before. What are they? I'm interested, because my sister suffers from asthma too. Thanks for sharing your writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's funny how these little coincidences show up, no? But hey, the reading is just as important as the writing, so you're doing something important whether you decide to write or read! I could go into a bigger explanation of what a nebulizer is, but in essence it's a machine that turns my asthma medicine into a mist so that I can inhale it. It's a little bit stronger and gentler than an inhaler, and is really useful for me when I'm sick. :) Thanks for reading my writing! XD

      Delete
  4. You wrote a poem! Thats awesome! I like your penguin. I like your poem!

    I wrote a list of reasons I dislike cellphones. That is pretty much it xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like my penguin too!

      That's a pretty good list to write, as far as lists go, you know? I can't blame you at all.

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!