Saturday, January 24, 2015

My Life Through Books Tag

Thanks, Rebekah!

Rebekah from Horse Feathers was kind enough to tag me for her “My Life Through Books” tag, so lucky you, you get to read my answers.

Here we go!

Baby

Did you like to read when you were little?


I think so. My parents taught me to read when I was pretty young, which they brag about but I don’t think it’s that exciting. I ate up a lot of series, which led to a lot of bigger books that I fell in love with.

Toddler

What was your favorite picture book?

via Goodreads

The one that comes to mind is called I Love You as Much by Laura Krauss Melmed, and we used to use animal signs when I was little to help me learn the concept of symbolism, and it’s really cute. Beyond that, we have these Lola books I have hoarded on my shelf because there’s a cuddle island and I like that too.

Child

Did you go through a book phase? (i.e. reading the thickest books, reading all an author’s books, etc.)


Not that I can think of. I got really hooked on Junie B. Jones and Magic Tree House for quite a while, and I really got hung up on a Greek Mythology phase, which hasn’t set sail as the remnants of my Mythology Monday Posts can attest, and all the mythology decorations in my room. Yeah…

Tween

What books made you feel grown up?


Any book that had teenagers in it made me feel grown up, but there was one book called Sold by Patricia McCormick, and I wouldn’t say it made me feel “grown up” but it’s a book about a girl who gets sold into sexual slavery, and I was in seventh grade when I read it.

via Goodreads
I don’t think my parents would have thought I was old enough to read it at the time (for me, though, if I’m gonna get baptized it might as well be with fire) but I think I was. Even though I was probably thirteen, and I was still very innocent as to the ways of the world, I think this is the book that comes to mind that really marks my transition into more serious books. Sure, I like to snuggle up with a fantasy, but I also have a working understanding of my world so that reading about sexual slavery has meaning to me.

Undoubtedly, over five years later I have a different perspective, and I’m way more aware of the injustice around me (not nearly enough, though). Nonetheless I think this is the book where I realized, “I’m entering a whole new world with what I read.”

Teen

What are books that you rave about?


… Oh dear. Let’s start with H.I.V.E. by Mark Walden, and The Grisha Trilogy by Leigh Bardugo, and The Scarlet Trilogy by A.C. Gaughen, and Unwind by Neal Shusterman… Let’s just stop there. Because every fangirl raves sometimes, and you guys should know that.

Adult

What are books that used to seem boring to you but now you really like?

via Goodreads

I was going to say Lord of the Rings but despite the fact that I’ve read them I don’t think that’s changed… I would say anything to do with literature. I mean, sure, I don’t really like it, but it’s not as much a chore as I used to think it was and being in my lit class has brought me a lot more knowledge than I anticipated. Still,  I prefer the kind of literature that has zombies, which I don’t think is really literature at all.


Elderly

What are books from your childhood or teen years that you still cherish?


Ranger’s Apprentice is still good, and I loved the way it ended, so it has brought me satisfaction in that regard. Percy Jackson and The 39 Clues are also in this category, mostly because of the opportunities and friendships they have brought me. I mean, if you think about it, if I had never read The 39 Clues, this blog wouldn’t even exist.


That’s a wrap!

There’s no strict tagging rules and I don’t like to tag people too often, just because I know there’s a lot of original content out there that’s begging to be written. So, I invite you to participate in Rebekah’s tag, and knock yourself out.


Pick one of the questions—what would your answer be?


6 comments :

  1. This is a GREAT tag!! I wanna do it right now. XD

    I really love this post because it made me think about how books shape our character, and if that person ends up a booklover, how vividly they remember books of their childhood. =D Your tween book (Sold), I read one a little like it at that age, and it really disturbed me. Still, I didn't 100% understand the significance of it until much later.So of course when I DID, I was beyond disturbed.

    I had so many books I raved about as a teen that I can't bear to read now. It's so crazy how much I've changed. I try not to think about it!

    Great post, Heather. Thanks for sharing. I will at some point 'knock myself out', probably today if I can type it up fast enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XD I see that you did!

      Absolutely; we always add a little bit extra to our personal histories every time we add a book to our completed list. Even if the books are alarming or disturbing, they still broaden our worlds, whether we like it or not—and sometimes for the better. I mean, Sold was a really rough book to get through, but before then I had never even thought about human trafficking.

      XD We end up regretting our past choices, no? But that's okay, because that's how growing up works.

      Thanks for reading! I'll be sure to take a look at your post as well. :)

      Delete
  2. JUNIE B JONES. MAGIC TREE HOUSE. *melts into pile of crying glitter* I loved those books. This tag just made me think of all the books I used to read. SO MANY BOOKS.

    I also loved Little House on the Prairie, Roman Mysteries and I went through a Percy Jackson phase.

    I'm off to cry about growing up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I AGREE. We used to read so many good things. :') And I love to remember them, because I don't wonder how different I'd be if I hadn't been a mini-fangirl in my little days.

      OMG ROMAN MYSTERIES I KNOW THOSE BOOKS I KNOW THOSE BOOKS I KNOW THOSE BOOKS *GASP* I REMEMBER THEM!

      And yes, Percy rocks too!

      So sad, growing up. But good, but bad. *sigh*

      Delete
  3. I used to borrow the Magic Tree House books all the time from the library.
    Glad you like the tag (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IKR? They were great books. Thanks for nominating me!

      Delete

Check it out, comments and stuff. I love to hear from readers, and I always respond to commenters! Here's the fun part—if you leave a link to your blog I'll show up and comment back. I have just one rule down here: Don't Be a Problem. This spans the entire umbrella of rudeness and crudeness, so I reiterate: Don't Be a Problem. Thanks for stopping by!